Amsoil Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bashing so... I have tried Amsoil SS many times for the past 10 yrs in my vehicles. 2008 Nissan Extera w 4.0 and 2003 GransAm 3400 engine drank 5-30 SS like water (GrandAm loved dino, it even liked 10-40 circa 1985 QS)! 2013 Subaru 2.5 n/a drinks 0-20 SS. 2010 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi sips it pretty good too. So far the only engine I have that likes SS is my 1994 4.0 Ford Ranger which has 4qts of 0-20 SS and 1 qt of Amsoil SAE 30. I run 0-40 Amsoil in my ATV hard without any issues. Why do most of my engines drink SS? They all have low NOACKs.🤷â€â™‚ï¸

Last edited:
NOACK is the new BITOG buzz word it seems. I remember when it was Auto RX and 20wt oil for the Ferrari.

Originally Posted by CT8
NOACK is the new BITOG buzz word it seems. I remember when it was Auto RX and 20wt oil for the Ferrari.

Yeah I hear ya. Still got some auto rx in the garage...no Ferrari though.

Originally Posted by CT8

Or the high iron in M1 UOA's that had some members thinking that using M1 would cause their cylinder to wash away.

Originally Posted by ridgerunner
Anyway...any ideas to my inquiry?

It is not the NOACK if that is your concern. Try a different oil.

Not trying to be a jerk, but most of them are older, high-mileage engines. A lot of engines, as they get older, burn oil as a consequence of wear.

Anyway...any ideas to my inquiry?

Consumption isn't always something that's easy to distill out a reason for. I had, unfortunately, a similar experience to you with SS in one of our previous vehicles, a 2002 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L. Consumption sometimes is high for the first OCI, so I gave it several to see if it would trend down. It didn't. The SS 0w-30 constantly disappeared in that vehicle, 3 or 4L over a 10K (Kilometre) OCI.

I switched it to M1 AFE 0w-30, which didn't consume over the same OCI and remained my go-to until I found some Motul 0w-30 on Amazon dirty cheap. It didn't consume either
21.gif

Trial and error. I've found one of our cars burns Mobil 1 up but doesn't burn a drop on Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic. Whatever. Find what works and run it.

Originally Posted by addyguy
Not trying to be a jerk, but most of them are older, high-mileage engines. A lot of engines, as they get older, burn oil as a consequence of wear.

None of the engines are/were old at the time of using SS. The oldest one, 1994 4.0 V-6 Ford hasn't burned a drop (maybe due to the SAE30). All other engines burn the SS badly and none burn either dino or group 3 synth. before the SS or after the SS. I don't know what the issue is with SS. Gonna still use it since I have several gallons of it. I did order some SS in 5-20 and 10-30 so we will see if thicker/ low NOACK is better.

Originally Posted by addyguy

None of the engines are/were old at the time of using SS. The oldest one, 1994 4.0 V-6 Ford hasn't burned a drop (maybe due to the SAE30). All other engines burn the SS badly and none burn either dino or group 3 synth. before the SS or after the SS. I don't know what the issue is with SS. Gonna still use it since I have several gallons of it. I did order some SS in 5-20 and 10-30 so we will see if thicker/ low NOACK is better.

In my fifty nine years of driving and more that two cars I've never had a car that burned one oil and not another. But in all that time I've only had two oil burners. One was a 1962 Studebaker and it was a hand me down. The other was a 70 Datsun 510 the rings never seated and I re-ringed it and the issue was solved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Sounds like your cars are not happy with SS?
Not all car are designed for PAO synthetic.

Yeah seems that way. We do a lot of short cold trips of less than 5 miles but no dino/group 3 burn. Got 3 UOA kits to use up so I will be reporting back in a month or so. Not sure what they will tell me since I keep adding SS and boosting what is in the crankcase.

It happens some engines just consume certain brands most of the time it will settle down after a few OCI's. If you don't want to wait that long go buy some SuperTech or Quaker State Synthetic.

Try adding some Lucas oil additive. Sounds like your piston rings are worn or wearing so oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Sounds like your cars are not happy with SS?
Not all car are designed for PAO synthetic.

Why would you pin-point the PAO? As I noted, our Expedition consumed SS but not AFE 0w-30, which has a significant amount of PAO in the base, or the Motul 0w-30, which is an entirely PAO-based lube.

Does Amsoil SS contain ester? Oil consumption can sometimes increase with oils containing ester due to ester clinging to the cylinder walls and transporting past the rings.

Originally Posted by anndel
Try adding some Lucas oil additive. Sounds like your piston rings are worn or wearing so oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

Nah, none of the above. None are worn rings. No Lucas added to Amsoil oil since that would be just wrong, I'd get flamed worse than the devil's farts! Point being that they burns SS and nothing else.

Originally Posted by anndel

Noooooooo, some insanely heavy Group I garbage dosed with red dye and chainsaw bar oil tackifier is the last thing these engines need.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Does Amsoil SS contain ester? Oil consumption can sometimes increase with oils containing ester due to ester clinging to the cylinder walls and transporting past the rings.

Not enough to make consumption an issue. It would be in the single digits percentage-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back