Fun surprise found under-hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
And by "fun" and I mean "fury inducing". Just doing an oil change on the VW and after taking the engine cover off I find this. This could have probably started a fire at some point.

Sorry for the massive image size

[Linked Image]

You're lucky. A few years ago I needed a battery in my Liberty during a very cold snap. I used an AAP coupon, bought the battery online and decided to have them install it. I was lazy, and it was cold. Anyway I went in the Jeep to pop the hood, and the kid opened the hood to replace the battery. Out jumped a kitten, which bolted so fast by the time we realized what it was the kitten was gone. Needless to say it scared the crap out of the two of us.

Originally Posted by Donald
You need to provide flame retardant materials for the mice to build their nests with.

Yes not doing so is very likely an EPA violation!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Donald
You need to provide flame retardant materials for the mice to build their nests with.

Yes not doing so is very likely an EPA violation!

Is this where we add in the California restrictions?
lol.gif

Question is , where did the rodent get the material? He chewed up something near you! Looks like some dog hair in that too.

I keep a block of mouse poison under the hood of each vehicle for this reason. I had an old truck that they got in to the heater box somehow and [censored] all over the place. Couldn't get the stench out so I sold it. Some guy drove it for a couple years.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
With all the soy-based wiring, thank god for the owner that the rodent didn't start chewing on stuff.

I had one that chewed into some wiring, but didn't really do anything other than knew through some tape and scratch the ground bundle. But it chewed right through the A/C compressor clutch wire. I just trimmed the wire and tape it to the connector and it worked. I think I could have just gotten an A/C compressor clutch rebuild kit which would include the wire and connector.

Which reminds me that my A/C hasn't worked in a while, so maybe I need to get a diagnostic about what the problem is. In the past I remember I had a damaged A/C belt but I can see it's fine now.

Originally Posted by spasm3

Question is , where did the rodent get the material? He chewed up something near you! Looks like some dog hair in that too.

I'm not sure about the cotton looking stuff, probably from something in the garage. And the hair is dog hair. The dog is never in the garage but husky hair is everywhere all the time.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Originally Posted by spasm3

I'm not sure about the cotton looking stuff, probably from something in the garage. And the hair is dog hair. The dog is never in the garage but husky hair is everywhere all the time.

Years ago when I was storing my BMW, I found the strangest looking materials mice used to build with.
I was sure glad it wasn't anything from my interior or engine bay!

Originally Posted by loneryder
I keep a block of mouse poison under the hood of each vehicle for this reason. I had an old truck that they got in to the heater box somehow and [censored] all over the place. Couldn't get the stench out so I sold it. Some guy drove it for a couple years.
They seem to like it in there, I had one in the F-450 winter before last, nothing like driving around with mouse fur flying out of the vents! Fortunately it dried up pretty quick, didn't really stink much, and that truck has 360 air conditioning-3 windows down, 60 MPH!

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
And by "fun" and I mean "fury inducing". Just doing an oil change on the VW and after taking the engine cover off I find this. This could have probably started a fire at some point.

Sorry for the massive image size

[Linked Image]

Is this a daily driver? I thought mice would only nest in a non moving vehicle.

Don

Originally Posted by Dadillac
Is this a daily driver? I thought mice would only nest in a non moving vehicle.

Don

This can happen in a matter of hours, honestly. Animals love a nice warm engine bay unfortunately.

PS: I wish my engine was a clean under that stupid cover. Winter has not been kind to mine...

Apparently, there's a sub-species of mouse up in eastern Canada that has a special affinity for the Prius. There's a many-page thread on Priuschat.com dedicated to just the topic of mouse-proofing the Prius! Click here and see for yourself. Amazing the lengths people are having to go to to keep them out! Of course, I wonder whether it's really about just the Prius, or maybe the little critters will take any warm car they happen upon. . . Of course, down here, they'd heat stroke in no time getting in a car, so that's one battle we don't have to fight too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back