Rotella Gas Truck 0w20, 5w20 & 5w30 VOA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Env1ous
Originally Posted by BigShug681
Seems to be a ton of new members suddenly appearing just to ask about this oil

Shell bots?

No I actually was very interested. I was a lurker but I joined up lol

Well then welcome to BITOG.

What drives your curiosity of this oil if I may ask? Do you own a truck? What oils have you run before?

I'm trying to get a sense of what the attraction is to this particular oil. Shell is not alone as Mobil 1 also came out with their TRUCK oil. I suspect the others are planning their product line as well.

Hey thanks! Yes I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost. I know DI is a little more hot topic with fuel dilution and with the turbos they definitely run hotter. The oil and the coolant go through to cool the turbos and pushing around 20PSI on my truck (tuned) those small turbos make a lot of heat. I am interested because Rotella is normally for diesel applications and I feel like the ecoboost has some mannerisms derived from the diesel like the DI and turbos. They have a lot of success with that but there are differences in how they operate. I am interested since it is thicker so a little more protection and I feel like it is more targeted for trucks like the more time they spend idling and increased workloads on the engine and maybe possibly targeted more with Direct Injection/Turbos. I normally use PP/PUP but those are on the thinner sides and would prefer something thicker. I have looked into 0w40 but feel a little more comfortable with a 5w30. Could be lack of understanding but it is what I feel more comfortable with.

I asked Mobil a little bit ago and right now there is no Dexos Gen 2 cert from what they said. And are not planning any. The RGT has Dexos Gen 2. And from my understanding it is a formulation to help with LSPI so that is a plus as well. I think the SN Plus spec is for LSPI now too, correct?

Last edited:
Yes for your Ecoboost I would definitely run a SN+ and d1G2 certified oil. They are readily available now.

Not sure if you saw this thread. I finally found it. The PDS for RGT has some interesting points that sparked a little discussion.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5027540/shell-rotella-gas#Post5027540

Another oil to watch for is this Mobil 1 Turbo Power that was talked about over the weekend. It's not out yet but it appears to be a new product line for M1.

Yes for your Ecoboost I would definitely run a SN+ and d1G2 certified oil. They are readily available now.

Not sure if you saw this thread. I finally found it. The PDS for RGT has some interesting points that sparked a little discussion.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5027540/shell-rotella-gas#Post5027540

Another oil to watch for is this Mobil 1 Turbo Power that was talked about over the weekend. It's not out yet but it appears to be a new product line for M1.

Yes I saw that! For a noob it is a little much to take in all at once so I am taking my time on that. lol.

That is something, I thought they would be using the Mobil one Truck oil more for that sector. I wonder if the Turbo power will be more HD or passenger cars with turbos?

Pim, I don't own any trucks, but I am always a sucker for marketing that says the oil is more robust. That's why I'm doing the VOAs... if the tests show this oil has more of the "good stuff", along with the MSDS showing it's got POE, it could be a great issue. I've got several EJ engines in my Subies, and everyone knows they like a hefty 30+wt oil. I'm hoping the VOA shows something like the viscosity of PP Euro L 5W30, but with AW up at the absolute limits of SN+/D1G2 specs. If this looks nice and stout (and statistically different than say regular PP) I will start looking for 5 gallon pails of the RGT 5W30 and just do all my OCIs that way.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Pim, I don't own any trucks, but I am always a sucker for marketing that says the oil is more robust. That's why I'm doing the VOAs... if the tests show this oil has more of the "good stuff", along with the MSDS showing it's got POE, it could be a great issue. I've got several EJ engines in my Subies, and everyone knows they like a hefty 30+wt oil. I'm hoping the VOA shows something like the viscosity of PP Euro L 5W30, but with AW up at the absolute limits of SN+/D1G2 specs. If this looks nice and stout (and statistically different than say regular PP) I will start looking for 5 gallon pails of the RGT 5W30 and just do all my OCIs that way.

I think we all have our marketing weaknesses. I might not think much of this TRUCK oil but the Turbo oil that M1 is getting ready to sell strikes me as a something I might be interested in even though I don't own a turbo. Just like the old QS 4x4 oil of way back. I thought that was silly as well. But we all have our weakness when it comes to marketing.

Remember Castrol GTX? Engineered for today's smaller cars. A message that was timely and Castrol sold a ton of GTX in those days.

I think we all have our marketing weaknesses. I might not think much of this TRUCK oil but the Turbo oil that M1 is getting ready to sell strikes me as a something I might be interested in even though I don't own a turbo. Just like the old QS 4x4 oil of way back. I thought that was silly as well. But we all have our weakness when it comes to marketing.

Remember Castrol GTX? Engineered for today's smaller cars. A message that was timely and Castrol sold a ton of GTX in those days.

To be honest, that QS 4x4 oil got me with marketing. I was 17 at the time and I had my 89 F150. lol. Bought it and thought WOW this is cool and advanced.
See and to follow with your thought pattern, the M1 Turbo oil doesn't do much for me, well at least not as much as the RGT does. That is what I really appreciate about this forum. Most people understand people think differently and for the most part this forum is pretty awesome that way.

Bought it and thought WOW this is cool and advanced....... the M1 Turbo oil doesn't do much for me, well at least not as much as the RGT does.
It is hard to tell if Rotella Gas Truck is better than, say, the upcoming Mobil1 Turbo it is true. Your "advanced" comment is actually based in reality amongst engineering companies, including those who make oil. We engineers advance tech all the time. There is a stream of patents out of Shell, Mobil, and Infineum. Given that, there is a very good chance the latest oil uses better anti-ox (RGT's and M1 AP's claim), since some of those patents involve anti-ox chemistry, for example. Advances in various synergistic combinations of chemical compounds happens & makes their way into products as well. Unfortunately a VOA doesn't really say a lot about use of special polymer esters, anti-ox type, VII type, etc., but it does reveal reliance on moly for FM & boron as a multi-functional addition.

Take M1 Turbo, where they claim turbo deposits are only 25% of the allowable max limit defined in the GM Turbocharger Coking Test (dexos1). Hard to say if some other oils are 20% or 80%, we don't know, yet knowing this one is 25% is like recruiting a quarterback with a high QBR, something to like. Sounds like Exxon-Mobil found a particular combination of addtives that minimizes turbo bearing deposits.

Often the most advanced oil will be a new one, since the older labelled oil was formulated and frozen years ago.

You could ignore all this marketing, in case you believe there isn't any real truth behind it, and follow the engine test performance specs. We know dexos1 Gen2 is better than any other non-German spec. Go with German spec oils in your HTHS target range for your American or Asian vehicle and pay extra if you want the "best" oils available, yet you know the Mercedes spec'ed oils pass the toughest set of engine tests and are defacto full-syn with significant PAO.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Bought it and thought WOW this is cool and advanced....... the M1 Turbo oil doesn't do much for me, well at least not as much as the RGT does.
It is hard to tell if Rotella Gas Truck is better than, say, the upcoming Mobil1 Turbo it is true. Your "advanced" comment is actually based in reality amongst engineering companies, including those who make oil. We engineers advance tech all the time. There is a stream of patents out of Shell, Mobil, and Infineum. Given that, there is a very good chance the latest oil uses better anti-ox (RGT's and M1 AP's claim), since some of those patents involve anti-ox chemistry, for example. Advances in various synergistic combinations of chemical compounds happens & makes their way into products as well. Unfortunately a VOA doesn't really say a lot about use of special polymer esters, anti-ox type, VII type, etc., but it does reveal reliance on moly for FM & boron as a multi-functional addition.

Take M1 Turbo, where they claim turbo deposits are only 25% of the allowable max limit defined in the GM Turbocharger Coking Test (dexos1). Hard to say if some other oils are 20% or 80%, we don't know, yet knowing this one is 25% is like recruiting a quarterback with a high QBR, something to like. Sounds like Exxon-Mobil found a particular combination of addtives that minimizes turbo bearing deposits.

Often the most advanced oil will be a new one, since the older labelled oil was formulated and frozen years ago.

You could ignore all this marketing, in case you believe there isn't any real truth behind it, and follow the engine test performance specs. We know dexos1 Gen2 is better than any other non-German spec. Go with German spec oils in your HTHS target range for your American or Asian vehicle and pay extra if you want the "best" oils available, yet you know the Mercedes spec'ed oils pass the toughest set of engine tests and are defacto full-syn with significant PAO.

I do believe that. I work in IT and a lot of our hardware has the same mind set. A new hardware component could have a new feature that the last one did not. Why go back and re-engineer the old stuff to give this feature? We have the NEW one and from here on out it will have this and if they want this here is the new one. Type deal. So I do believe that. they are not going to go back and mess with an old formula just to add something and possibly throw something off. (not that I know what im talking about LOL)

That is a really good point you have!

Alright alright, I apologize for the clickbait. But, I checked the Rotella website and they are honoring the $10/jug rebate for up to 4 jugs. So, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket AND have a vehicle for each of these grades, so I got one of the 20s and two of the 30. I'll be sending a sample of all three weights to TestOil this week, so we will all know everything that a VOA will show, along with particle count/ISO cleanliness codes.

So, sorry for getting everyone into a tizzy, but since SOPUS was not at all forthcoming with any real info about RGT, I figured I'd take the hit for the team.

0W20 will be going into ‘18 Forester with 32k
5W20 will be going into ‘06 Odyssey with 185k
5W30s will be going into an ‘05 Outback with 130k and an ‘07 Impreza with 150k

Will probably get UOAs on at least the Forester and Impreza once around 6k on each vehicle happens.

Thanks SRR for doing this for everyone here. I have a Forester and a Sienna that take the 0w20 and would be interested to see what comes of it.

My previous Impreza with the EJ25 seemed to like Pennzoil Platinum, but didnt like the QSUD, so Im curious how the Gas Truck would work out. Plus with the 4 jug rebate, I can probably be good for the year on oil stockpiling....

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
It will be good to compare what we can see in a UOA of RGT to the other SOPUS-Sister products: QSUD, PP, PUP, Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...626/shell-rotella-t6-multi-vehicle-5w-30
I would almost say Rotella Gas Truck is Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle (Group3+) with slightly lighter base oils, different VII treat rate, and 60 ppm moly added. Maybe??

The PDS mentions that the composition is interchangeable low viscosity base oils. It sounds very vague.

Well, the results are in on all three Rotella Gas Truck weights and one phenomenally old (10+ years!) Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 formulation. I'm at a Zach Williams concert and will post them up later.

Let's just say the Platinum 10W30 likely has more calcium than milk!
lol.gif

Well, the results are in on all three Rotella Gas Truck weights and one phenomenally old (10+ years!) Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 formulation. I'm at a Zach Williams concert and will post them up later.

Let's just say the Platinum 10W30 likely has more calcium than milk!
lol.gif

Awesome, just dumped the new "Gas Truck" in my silverado this weekend. Let's see it
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back