Lexus GX460 vs RX350

Still on the quest for my next ride.

I'm considering either a Lexus GX460 or RX350. I realize they are very different rides but I'm looking for something reliable and comfortable with AWD. I don't really care about sporty.

RX350 - Smaller (not necessarily a positive for me), better fuel economy, more modern drivetrain and electronics and cheaper. Exterior design is ok IMO and interior is nice.

GX460 - Larger (this is a plus for me), older tech and poor gas mileage but these tend to be bullet proof.

Anyone own either model? What are your thoughts? This will be a daily driver but it's only a 14 mile round trip. Other than that it's me carting the kids around. I like the look of the GX and the size. I'm 6'5" and looking for something comfortable.

Thanks....

Last edited:
Sounds like the GS is for you.
A year ago we leased a RX450h; it is a wonderful vehicle.
It does so much well; really hard to beat for what we do in northern CA.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

I'm considering either a Lexus GX460 or RX350. I realize they are very different rides but I'm looking for something reliable and comfortable with AWD. I don't really care about sporty.

RX350 - Smaller (not necessarily a positive for me), better fuel economy, more modern drivetrain and electronics and cheaper. Exterior design is ok IMO and interior is nice.

GX460 - Larger (this is a plus for me), older tech and poor gas mileage but these tend to be bullet proof.

Anyone own either model? What are your thoughts? This will be a daily driver but it's only a 14 mile round trip. Other than that it's me carting the kids around. I like the look of the GX and the size. I'm 6'5" and looking for something comfortable.

Thanks....

Why not a big sedan? There should be more than a few you can fit in, depending on how you set your seat.

Originally Posted by d00df00d

Thanks....

Why not a big sedan? There should be more than a few you can fit in, depending on how you set your seat.

I've gone to the dark side of automobiles. SUVs are easier to get in and out of and I like the higher vantage point. I'm also in the snow belt of Massachusetts and so AWD + ground clearance is king up here.

Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
If you can afford it, the GX. It's what you want and you will enjoy it.

I really like the GX. Wondering if they are going to update the interior any time soon as it's dated but certainly not a deal breaker. Dated but bullet proof still appeals to me.

I've gone to the dark side of automobiles. SUVs are easier to get in and out of and I like the higher vantage point. I'm also in the snow belt of Massachusetts and so AWD + ground clearance is king up here.

If you have a physiological challenge that makes lower vehicles horrible to live with, or if you can't stay home whenever conditions are bad enough that the ground clearance advantage of an SUV is meaningful, then I get that 100%.

Otherwise, I strongly recommend giving sedans a second chance before you pull the trigger on this.

My last 3 cars have been RWD. I keep winter tire sets for them. On the rare occasion that we get snow and ice like what you get up there in winter, the first thing I want to do is get out and drive. I've had those cars in some very, very nasty conditions. Several inches of snow of all kinds, hills, horrible visibility, etc. Not once have I wished I had an AWD car. Even with my RX-8, which was pretty dang tail-happy. Forward traction was sometimes a challenge, but I always felt that was a small price to pay for being able to out-brake and out-swerve larger AWD cars, which I could almost always do. In no way do I mean to recommend a RWD car for you; just offering food for thought. Maybe AWD isn't so important as it seems.

...But if it is, it's ubiquitous in large sedans these days, so there's that.

The extra height (both CoG and seating) of an SUV do have obvious allure, but you pay for them with a long list of unavoidable compromises to ride, handling, cost of ownership, and even safety.

To be fair, I'm not 6'5" -- though I'm not far off at 6'2", and I sit way closer to the steering wheel (relative to my reach) than most people do.

FWIW.

Last edited:

Thanks....

ONLY advantage GX has is more capable off road capability.
Dynamically wise, it is horrid vehicle.

GX.

I own the RX in my sig and we love it to haul the baby and it's awesome on the open road, easy to park, super comfortable, plenty of storage and room even though I'm about the same size as you, and great in snow even with all seasons. It also gets pretty good mileage when my fiancée drives it, but my parents have a 2018 GX and it's just the next level up IMO.

It cruises great and is even quieter on the highway, mileage is worse but not astronomically worse, and it definitely has a better driving position, power, and storage space, plus body on frame means it'll actually handle more than just suburban snowstorms and ski resort runs if it comes to that for you.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Well, the RX is just a really nice vehicle to drive everyday. It has that "everydayness" factor for me. Just nice to drive!

Unless off road is required, RX is much better vehicle. Let's not forget that GX460 had some serious handling issues.
I have Land Cruiser Prado (GX470 in US) that is not that plush, but basically it is same vehicle as GX470. 3.0 D-4D diesel engine. I got it bcs I need access to some remote areas in Souther Alps where one needs serious 4WD.
In every other aspect, including snow, unibody platform is much better. My Tiguan is far better than that Prado in snow for example.

We had an RX 350 for the In Laws here for ~5 years. It was absolutely painless to own, with the exception of putting more aggressive AS tires for Winter use as the OE ones were inadequate. The only downside, to my Wife and I, was that it was a very numb driving experience; comfortable, but numb, just overall muted feedback from the road, steering, etc. I would go for the larger vehicle, but you wont go wrong with either.

I am with you on the Mass Winters and the practicality of the SUV.... There are always those few days of the year when I couldn't get out of our driveway or haul something without it.

So went with a 2019 RX 350 premium. It was a big decision between that and the F-sport which I liked for the grill, Mark Levinson sound system and gauge cluster but the seats were over-bolstered for me and too uncomfortable after 10 mins. Happy with my choice and really just hoping for 150K trouble-free miles.

So went with a 2019 RX 350 premium. It was a big decision between that and the F-sport which I liked for the grill, Mark Levinson sound system and gauge cluster but the seats were over-bolstered for me and too uncomfortable after 10 mins. Happy with my choice and really just hoping for 150K trouble-free miles.

With regular service, 150K is half way there.
Our RX450h does everything well.

The only option I have for an RX is AWD, just in case I ever see snow, which ain't likely.
Enjoy your beautiful Lexus.

This was a ways back, so don't know if this will reach you. Bought a 2016 GX460 right about when you got the new RX350. The GX has been terrific, and I personally really like it - built so solid, and just so capable - but it's my wife's primary driver, and she says it's fine....but I really picked the GX, and am thinking of asking if she'd rather have an RX.

So, assuming you still have it, how do you like the RX so far?

TIA for any feedback.

This was a ways back, so don't know if this will reach you. Bought a 2016 GX460 right about when you got the new RX350. The GX has been terrific, and I personally really like it - built so solid, and just so capable - but it's my wife's primary driver, and she says it's fine....but I really picked the GX, and am thinking of asking if she'd rather have an RX.

So, assuming you still have it, how do you like the RX so far?

TIA for any feedback.
My wife has been driving the RX 350 since Feb 2020 as her daily driver and I moved onto a Tundra. She loves it and it's perfect for her as it checks off all the boxes - AWD, large enough but not too large, nice leather/luxury interior. It did end up feeling too small for me but I'm 6'5" and 275lbs - it's perfect for her at 5'2". Tires were shot after 25K miles as were the front brakes due to warping. The right front door speaker sounds like it's blown which I haven't addressed since she's not complaining about it but I will get around to it. Other than that it has been a good vehicle.

My wife has been driving the RX 350 since Feb 2020 as her daily driver and I moved onto a Tundra. She loves it and it's perfect for her as it checks off all the boxes - AWD, large enough but not too large, nice leather/luxury interior. It did end up feeling too small for me but I'm 6'5" and 275lbs - it's perfect for her at 5'2". Tires were shot after 25K miles as were the front brakes due to warping. The right front door speaker sounds like it's blown which I haven't addressed since she's not complaining about it but I will get around to it. Other than that it has been a good vehicle.
Thanks much for your reply; sounds like a winner so far.

Back