Extreme fuel dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a little back story first, my brother's girlfriend has a 2014 Hyundai Veloster with the 1.6l GDI. She asked me if I would change her oil this weekend, she was about 5k miles over from the last time it was changed which was presumably sometime late spring or early summer last year. The fill was 5w20 M1 and only 3.8 qts at that, plus she has been idling it outside job number one for about 2-3 hours a day because she sleeps on her off time between jobs and only drives it maybe 5-10 miles a day. So today I got the car up on the ramps and when I pop the oil cap off before draining I immediately smell a strong odor of gasoline. I drain the oil and it comes out like water and pitch black, I refilled it with 5w30 Motorcraft semi-syn and a Fram filter. I tossed around the idea of sending in a sample, just for an idea of how diluted the oil had gotten but decided against it since it's not my circus. I then had a new idea of dropping a lit, sticky note sized, piece of paper in the oil and sure enough it immediately ignited the oil and began to burn on just the oil. I'm not sure what sort of percentage was gasoline but I'd bet well over 20%

Fire water
laugh.gif

That doesn't sound good...
Maybe someone here knows what some of the highest fuel dilution values that have been posted are?

I would question the need to idle it. That is not an extreme climate area- possibly the idling is contributing to the problem ? Also check for ignition issues.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
So a little back story first, my brother's girlfriend has a 2014 Hyundai Veloster with the 1.6l GDI. She asked me if I would change her oil this weekend, she was about 5k miles over from the last time it was changed which was presumably sometime late spring or early summer last year. The fill was 5w20 M1 and only 3.8 qts at that, plus she has been idling it outside job number one for about 2-3 hours a day because she sleeps on her off time between jobs and only drives it maybe 5-10 miles a day. So today I got the car up on the ramps and when I pop the oil cap off before draining I immediately smell a strong odor of gasoline. I drain the oil and it comes out like water and pitch black, I refilled it with 5w30 Motorcraft semi-syn and a Fram filter. I tossed around the idea of sending in a sample, just for an idea of how diluted the oil had gotten but decided against it since it's not my circus. I then had a new idea of dropping a lit, sticky note sized, piece of paper in the oil and sure enough it immediately ignited the oil and began to burn on just the oil. I'm not sure what sort of percentage was gasoline but I'd bet well over 20%

Not necessarily. There is some fuel dilution for sure, 20%? Unless injector failed, highly doubt. I would say it is probably high sulfur gas that she is using that gives odor. While the US moved to ULSG on 01/01/2017, it is an average of 100ppm, not maximum. hat means that oil companies can refine gasoline for some gas stations with ultra low levels of sulfur, while for others could be high as 80ppm, as long as average of their production is 10ppm.
I always had gas (sulfur) smell in my VW CC (2.0T DI engine) until I moved to CA. In CA, that had ULSG for a long time, smell disappeared completely. When I moved to CO, smell came back in that car. I cans till smell (but less) in Tiguan.
IMO< I would still use full synthetic oil and not semi-syn, and send sample to the Blackstone to know what is going on.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what sort of percentage was gasoline but I'd bet well over 20%

Wonder how far the oil level went up from the added fuel?

Originally Posted by PimTac
It doesn't take much gasoline to produce a gassy smell.

Used oil always smelled a little like fuel to me, even when a UOA showed fuel below the reporting limit (0.1%).

Originally Posted by edyvw
. . .
IMO< I would still use full synthetic oil and not semi-syn, and send sample to the Blackstone to know what is going on.

Why bother with a presumably more expensive synthetic until knowing what's going on? Assuming this is a case of very heavy dilution, all that fuel will probably be severely degrading whatever is put in the crankcase. If it were my car, I'd do short OCI with cheap oil, perhaps a grade up from specified, until I determined what was happening -- and fixed it.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I would question the need to idle it. That is not an extreme climate area- possibly the idling is contributing to the problem ? Also check for ignition issues.

It's the dead of winter and she's sleeping in it between her different jobs so she's idling it to stay warm, again though I've already told her the problems this will cause. I think dropping a lot piece of paper and setting the oil on fire got the point across however and for comparison I did it with oil from my truck and the paper just smothered out.

This wasn't just a gassy smell it was like opening a container of gas, one of the strongest smelling oils I've experienced. My brother who isn't in the slightest mechanically inclined immediately asked why it suddenly smelled like a gas station in the garage

If you would have sent it to Blackstone, they would have probably said "TR" or
That catching fire thing is scary!

Synthetic handles fuel dilution better than dino. So while you may feel like its wasteful to give synthetic a short ride with a fuel diluter, it does better protect the engine when diluted with fuel. No wrong approach there IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by edyvw
. . .

Why bother with a presumably more expensive synthetic until knowing what's going on? Assuming this is a case of very heavy dilution, all that fuel will probably be severely degrading whatever is put in the crankcase. If it were my car, I'd do short OCI with cheap oil, perhaps a grade up from specified, until I determined what was happening -- and fixed it.

Difference between synthetic and semi-synthetic is, what? $5 for 5qt? For a car that is , IDK $20,000.
I just do not get that logic.

This wasn't just a gassy smell it was like opening a container of gas, one of the strongest smelling oils I've experienced. My brother who isn't in the slightest mechanically inclined immediately asked why it suddenly smelled like a gas station in the garage

Any increase of oil level?

I've got some fuel diluters. I usually can start to smell the fuel on the dipstick when fuel dilutuon reaches about 5%. Sounds like this is waaaaay worse than 5%.

Originally Posted by wemay
You won't know until you get a UOA.

I lit engine oil on fire by dropping a piece of paper into it, no need for a uoa that poor cars gona give up the ghost soon enough, she's pretty terrible with how she maintains her vehicles.

Teach your girlfriend a thing or three on vehicle maintenance and idling control. You would think she would go sit inside a nearby shopping Mall, instead of sitting for two hours in her ride.

Help her out man....... that's what boyfriends do.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Teach your girlfriend a thing or three on vehicle maintenance and idling control. You would think she would go sit inside a nearby shopping Mall, instead of sitting for two hours in her ride.

Again not my girlfriend she's my brothers, I've given up on trying to get her to maintain her cars and so has he. She only sits in it because she's sleeping in between jobs which is again stupid but again not my circus I just drained the oil and refilled it, i then informed her of the insane way her oil caught fire.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Again not my girlfriend she's my brothers, I've given up on trying to get her to maintain her cars and so has he. She only sits in it because she's sleeping in between jobs which is again stupid but again not my circus I just drained the oil and refilled it, i then informed her of the insane way her oil caught fire.

Now this^^^ I can relate to. My wife was like that before we got married - still is - but I can manage some of it now. She once went 12,000 miles on a factory fill oil change (brand new car). One time she decided to "clean" the thing...left her floor mats outside to "dry them off"...left them out there for three weeks. Junk. Sold the car with 45,000 mikes, it blew up six months later. She's destroyed 11 washing machines and 6 dryers since we've been married (I'm not kidding, in 20 years). Just bought a new washer, the previous washer was a year and nine months old.

I maintain our vehicles, not the washers and dryers, so the vehicles are doing fine...although she comes home with new scratches and dings on the paint every week and is like...I don't know how it got there, it wasn't me. One day she came home and the thing was covered in paint. Paint! Wasn't her fault! Took me hours to scrape the paint off the sides with a plastic razor and goo be gone. Painted the inside of the wheel wells. The bottom of the car looks like something you'd see in the museum of fine art. It's not her fault though. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back