Small 4x4 with a 4 cyl and manual not to be found

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would appear that the manual transmission is almost dead, at least when it comes to small 4x4 trucks. Toyota only offers a couple of models, and they are only the stupid double cab models, and only with a V6. Nissan only offers a manual in 4x2. Ford doesn't offer a manual at all.

I would prefer a 4x4 with a smaller cab, manual and a 4 cylinder engine. Do new ones even exist from any maker?

If I think of a manual transmission I think of driving a Aston Martin through the Alps pretending I am James Bond. Not driving a pickup on the back roads of the US.

I had manuals when I was much younger. But now for most driving they would seem to be annoying. The manuals I had were 3 or 4 speed. Now they are more speeds. The automatics are more reliable than they were and get better gas mileage.

Then there is resale.

I'd like to find a single cab 4 cyl 4x4 Tacoma to replace the cherokee. Toyota did make those with both a 5 speed manual and an automatic int he last generation. Either would be fine for me, I know for a fact that the A340 transmission is pretty indestructible.

there are no more small trucks, only "midsize"

midway between what?

to me any truck with an automatic seems "soft" but I grew up on a farm where all working vehicles were manuals

I learned to drive in a manual vehicle . Three on the tree . My first 2 or 3 vehicles had manual . Years latter , I drove a small Chevy S10 company truck , 5 speed manual , for a few years . By then , the fun of driving a manual was gone . Got old and lazy , especially since most of my driving was in town .

Might look for a S10 ?

I bought the last Silverado 4x4 short box short cab 4.3 V6 MT W/T. Then later I bought the last Ranger STD cab 5M . The Ranger blew a HG in a month due to ?? and bad lost spark ignition. The Chevy had tailights falling out and the throttle body came loose on the plastic intake and caused poor running, then the clutch slave failed due to a part label left by MGF in the clutch master side reservoir. I really liked the chevy - cost 16800. new. I should have brought it to a good dealer and had them fix the TB and gasket. Woodworth in Andover, Ma fixed the clutch slave and low engagement issue - but not until the second gear synchro was toast.

Miss the little Suzuki Samurai 2 door "jeeps" that out Jeep jeep for 10 grand out the door new. The lager Vitara killed the "spark" of the Samurai. Not the Same.

The Hyundai I have, is the last year they made the Sonata with a manual. You can still get an Elantra manual. I'm guessing this is probably the last daily driver manual car that I will have in my lifetime, and I'm in my 40s, so have a ways to go yet.

Trucks? not too many left other than base models, and no full size in quite a while.

That said I'm not sure how I feel about these close ratio 6 speeds. It's a lot of shifting. I think I would appreciate 6 gears more with the 6th being a double overdrive like on the manual Camaros and Mustangs. It's just that 4 cyl cars don't really have enough power to overcome a double overdrive gear, so you'd have to shift down at every overpass. Maybe a turbo 4 would be ok with the double overdrive.

At any rate, the advantages of having a manual aren't what they used to be. The automatics have just gotten a lot better. A 4x4 truck is probably one of the best remaining applications for a manual where it would be superior. True control offroad or in the snow.

Good luck to the OP finding a suitable one.

If the standard shift was available it should be called a ANTI TEXTING DEVICE.

Probably would be less accidents.

Just think, people would actually have to pay attention to their driving..

TOMB

Jeep Gladiator, out in a couple years. 4cyl turbo. Edit: wait, turbo probably only with automatic.

I agree it's a shame...but when car companies see 97+% automatics....

Brons2 said:
That said I'm not sure how I feel about these close ratio 6 speeds. It's a lot of shifting. I think I would appreciate 6 gears more with the 6th being a double overdrive like on the manual Camaros and Mustangs. It's just that 4 cyl cars don't really have enough power to overcome a double overdrive gear, so you'd have to shift down at..]

You're not kidding! In my '17 Mazda6 L4 6MT I often shift 1st 2nd 4th 6th. My '99 Camry L4 5MT has, by comparison, ideal gear ratios... especially not such a "granny" 1st gear. Mazda also could stand to be a bit "taller" on the highway in 6th...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Brons2 said:
... especially not such a "granny" 1st gear. Mazda also could stand to be a bit "taller" on the highway in 6th...
My "granny" gear is the top 5th gear in my Hyundai Accent. Couldn't cost justify dropping rpms by changes to the gearing. But, I got larger diameter & wider tires. It isn't like a gear change, but I'll accept the 4-5% rpm reduction on the highway. A bit higher MPG, too..... & the wider tires make for better handling. One fellow, who didn't like the Accent looks, told me my Accent is....... acceptable now.

Last edited:
You're not kidding! In my '17 Mazda6 L4 6MT I often shift 1st 2nd 4th 6th. My '99 Camry L4 5MT has, by comparison, ideal gear ratios... especially not such a "granny" 1st gear. Mazda also could stand to be a bit "taller" on the highway in 6th...

When I'm accelerating on to the highway I have done 3rd gear into 6th a number of times. I just have to do it slowly, if you try to slam it in from 3rd to 6th the synchros don't like it and it will grind.

Originally Posted by Brons2

When I'm accelerating on to the highway I have done 3rd gear into 6th a number of times. I just have to do it slowly, if you try to slam it in from 3rd to 6th the synchros don't like it and it will grind.
100% re the syncho's. Absolutely has to be slow. Eaton, in an article re a commercial transmission that I read, does not recommend skipping gears 'cuz many operators would do it at normal shift speeds. My Mazda has an indication of what gear ur in and what gear it recommends you go into (the latter of which I never pay attention to) - and often it recommends two gears up. Slow and easy (or double-clutch / rev- match) is the rule-of-the-day there.

You open up a ton of additional options if you go with an auto tranny. The majority of US drivers have made the switch, its not that hard to do.

My Subaru Forester 6MT has very little between 5th and 6th. I usually do 1-2-4-6 or 1-3-4-6 when driving it.

The 5 speed in my F350 is not close ratio there's a big step between 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back