Long Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this at the local truck stop. It's a Tridem Quad according to the driver, who happened to be nineteen years old.
smile.gif

19064A36-05CE-46A1-B892-E86BBDFD053E.jpeg

Last edited:
For comparison, in Ontario, the program is called LCV - we can haul 2 x 53' trailers with a total gross weight of 63,500 kgs or 140,000 lbs.
Max length is 40 meters or 131 feet.
I was in charge of the pilot for our company for the Ontario launch.

Some sample pictures
https://hiveminer.com/Tags/lcv%2Contario/Timeline

Last edited:
Makes me think of the guy I saw a couple of weeks ago with a huge pickup towing a trailer that looked like it was for 4 sleds...and he just HAD to pull through the Dunks drive thru with two tight turns!
Never mind that it was a gas station with all kinds of open space where he could have parked his monstrosity and then walked in...

I remember the Michigan trucks from when I lived near Detroit, they weren't so long but had wheels basically all the way under the trailer for hauling massive loads of steel.
I read in the Free Press that a single fully loaded Michigan truck was above the design weight for most of the bridges they drove over between Gary, IN and Detroit...

19 year old? That is not legal in the USA. The drivers here are at the federally required age for a CDL of 21, and they still take lives. It is foolish to put young people behind a wheel of a tractor trailer, unless you are in a rural area, or 3rd world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
19 year old? That is not legal in the USA. The drivers here are at the federally required age for a CDL of 21, and they still take lives. It is foolish to put young people behind a wheel of a tractor trailer, unless you are in a rural area, or 3rd world.

3rd world? I've traveled, and seen ads for "truck driver age 30-50"... ageism is not illegal in some places. Same kinds of ads for Taxi drivers. People in developing countries are not dullards. Business owners know young males often have poor judgement.

I have always been fascinated by long truck drivers. I have difficulty driving a pickup truck and trailer off-road. I'm afraid to imagine what I would do in their place in such weather conditions. I couldn't drive a pickup truck with a trailer, because the car was very tight (the weight of the trailer was more than the weight of the pickup, it was scary to brake and turn). My friend advised me great post to read. I realized that I need to better fix the trailer. But this is just a trailer for two rooms, and these guys are transporting tons of wood in several trailers ... uffff, they are real professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back