2018 Mazda 3 vs 2019 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooday folks,

Im now down to two contenders on my list.
I didnt like the 2019 corolla with the cvt, felt cheap and didnt ride that well.

Now, the mazda 3 GS with the 2.0L is a great choice, good warranty, nice auto transmission.

In the same price range, 4 bucks more biweekly, the 2019 civic is on my list. 2.0L with the cvt.

Both intest me, both looks great, both have independant suspension, both are great on gas and handle well, both have 4 wheel discs brakes.

Which one has the edge in this battle? Honeslty, I need a new car, and I dont know which one to choose.

Civic has more resale value, mazda has better warranty.

I need your inputs for both. I think i cant go wrong with either.

Both wil be financed for 72 or 84 months.

Thank you!

Like you said, you can't go wrong with either car. Both are excellent. Drive them both and buy the one YOU like the best.

Drive them both and go from there
smile.gif

In the end it is the car that fits you and feels more comfortable to you. Both a good choices.

I have a ‘17 CX5 and it has been just perfect. Fit and finish is excellent. The 2.5 SkyActiv is a smooth and reliable engine and the six speed automatic transmission is smooth and very smart.

Financing for 72 or 84 months is really not very smart financially. But, it's your money.

Originally Posted by PimTac
In the end it is the car that fits you and feels more comfortable to you. Both a good choices.

I have a ‘17 CX5 and it has been just perfect. Fit and finish is excellent. The 2.5 SkyActiv is a smooth and reliable engine and the six speed automatic transmission is smooth and very smart.

Financing for 72 or 84 months is really not very smart financially. But, it's your money.

Why? Its 1.49%, its better than a lease, keep it 5 or 6 years, then get rid of it. Honda is 3.99 %

Both are good choices. I would go Mazda 3 if it were me, not a fan of CVT's.
(Just a preference though, nothing wrong with Honda's CVT's)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Does Dave Ramsey have his radio show in the great white north?

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I'm a big Honda fan but a major CVT hater. Get the Mazda

The cvt gearbox belongs in the junkyard

I prefer the Mazda 3. It has a nicer body style, a better transmission and the Skyactive engines have proven to be very reliable.

While you should get the one that fits 'you' well, I am personally biased towards Mazda. Lately, I am hearing too many Honda issues. Of course, the number of Hondas sold are way more than Mazdas.

I agree with others 72 to 84 months finance isn't a great idea. I personally would not go beyond 5 years and if I can't do that, I wouldn't go for a new vehicle. We went with Subaru only because we got 1.49% from the bank, else we were going pre-owned vehicle.
Have you considered an off-rental vehicle from Hertz? I know most people don't prefer these rentals as they are driven so hard. Yeah, some a-holes do that but how many are such, esp for a car like Mazda 3? I know a few who got such vehicles for around 14-15K with 15-20K on the odometer. That will be my next vehicle.

MoneyJohn said:
While you should get the one that fits 'you' well, I am personally biased towards Mazda. Lately, I am hearing too many Honda issues. Of course, the number of Hondas sold are way more than Mazdas.

Right!
Honda has several individual model that, by themselves, outsell all of Mazda. And that's not over stated.

Wolf, have you driven each of them yet to see which one fits your needs, driving style, comfort level, view outward etc. ?

In addition, look at what I am driving!
I test drove every car in the midsize family sedan segment except the Chrysler 200 and I still bought the Altima. Part of my decision was the price and how much money($7000) the dealer knocked off the sticker(which makes resale value moot) and the 7yr/100mi drivetrain warranty plus .9% financing.

I not only test drove all of those vehicles, I drove several examples of each model from different dealers(over 3 months) when it came to narrowing down my decision. The Accord, Altima, Camry, Optima & Sonata became my final 5 cars over all others.

Not only was price a huge factor but, it was seat comfort, cabin quietness, view outward, comfort for my passengers as well, ride vs handling & fuel economy(they were all good). I wanted Ride over Handling instead of visa-versa. I want a good ride while still handling decently. My cars don't need to be canyon carvers.
Wolf, do some extensive test driving, not just 20 minutes. Take the cars down bumpy roads, highway and some city-ish kind of driving and give the cars a good feel. Hop in the back seats for ingress/egress, and test their cargo area. Do this for an hour with each car. I have even had the sales person come with me of course but, on the way back to the dealer, let them drive and sit in the back...feel & listen.

I would pick the Mazda for the six speed auto. Not a fan of the cvt.

There are 4 Mazdas in the "family" now.
2 Mazda3's (2012 + 2016)
1 Mazda CX-3 (2016)
1 Mazda CX-5 (2018)

All seem well made. All move well. All deliver great fuel mileage.

You can't detect the automatic transmission's functioning in any of them. It's hard to believe Ford was ever linked to Mazda. Are they still?
I believe Ford meddles with every automatic they touch in order to louse it up.
Perhaps Ford never got its hands (or evil dwarves) near these units.

Worshiping at the House of Honda is no longer required.

Civic with 6MT all day long. Mazda paintwork is pretty dangerous, clearcoat is paper thin (well, it is paper thin on all cars but Mazdas is super paper thin - in 60-70 microns range....of course, if you really care about). I've driven Mazda 3 with 2.0 auto and wasn't impressed at all.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I'm a big Honda fan but a major CVT hater. Get the Mazda

The cvt gearbox belongs in the junkyard

I have the 2018 Accord 1.5T with the CVT. I actually don't mind it and the MPG's are great. I'll take it over the horrible 8-speed that was in my ATS any day. However, I'd take the 2.0T in the ATS over this 1.5T any day as well. But in Jacksonville traffic, the Accord is much more practical and cost effective.

Last edited:
I too was not a fan of the CVT, but our new CRV has changed my mind and my wife also. We got the 1.5T. When you stomp it, that CVT keeps the engine around peak torque and gets that thing moving quickly. Kind of cool not feeling the shift points, yes, it's that smooth. Honda CVT's have been around for a while and seem to be holding up well.

Why not Kia Forte? Best I've driven in this class.

I just leased a 2019 Jetta on the cheap - but I wouldn't generally suggest that due to sloppy handling and float-y ride - unless you're a Grand Marquis or Buick Roadmaster fan. Yes it's THAT soft.

Me ? I wanted a MT. Unless its a dual clutch man-u-matic, slushboxes dull little 4 cylinders to a fault. BIG YAWN.

On the Jetta, a.Turbo 4 with six cylinder torque from 2000-4000 rpm was a bonus. Other cars in the class don't cut it - unless you DEMAND sharper handling ... and good looks. The new jetta is absolutely hideous.

Honda 1.5T has oil gas dilution problem. CVT is another problem. I would choose Mazda Skyactive with 6MT, or if you really like honda, choose LX 2.0 NA 6M or 2.0T Type-R 6MT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back