Do you recognize manufacturer specific sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first time for myself was the Mercedes diesel that my father leased. My dog would recognize it. Neighbor had one too, and my dog would respond to that in the same way.

I've got a Subaru and my wife drives a Honda. Maybe the engines and exhaust notes sound vastly different, but I can tell it's a Honda or Subaru starter by the unique sound. Not sure if they've changed recently, but I can certainly hear that chirpy sound and tell it's from a Honda.

Is there something specific? Are these sourced by the exact same company? Is it some specification?

Yes, absolutely. Starting/idling Hondas sound the most unique to me, but certain older GMs (3.1/3.4/3.8) have a very unique start-up sound.
Additionally, Ford truck starters make a unique noise, and GM V8s have a distinctive burble at idle, while newer GM 3.6s (Acadia, Traverse, Enclave) have a strange exhaust note. That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.

IMHO It's probably caused by a variety of factors. The metals used in the starter, amperage of starter, number of cylinders, engine configuration, etc.

I also can tell a Honda starter from any other car (despite ever owning one).
I always thought the M20 in my bmw was overly noisy, until I was watching youtube vids of others starting their cars too.
Mine sounded exactly alike.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Any Chrysler starter from the sixties.

Yep, good ol' reduction gear, this was the first thing I thought of too. The V8s did it well into the 80s.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
IMHO It's probably caused by a variety of factors. The metals used in the starter, amperage of starter, number of cylinders, engine configuration, etc.

I also can tell a Honda starter from any other car (despite ever owning one).
I always thought the M20 in my bmw was overly noisy, until I was watching youtube vids of others starting their cars too.
Mine sounded exactly alike.

The Honda sound seems to consistent. I hear that sound and it might come from a 4 or a V6. I can't really place what kind of Honda, but know it's coming from a Honda or Acura of a certain vintage.

I looked up a video demonstrating a newer Honda remote start, and the sound is different. Kind of lower than the chirp I hear from my wife's car.

Sure they make unique sounds. I can pick out a Subaru, Dodge minivans, old Willy's jeeps old VW beetles and Mitsubishi diesels. I'm sure I'd recognize most any of the cars I've owned.

I'd bet it's the manufacturers spec for the starter that makes them unique, along with the engine config.

First generation Dodge trucks with the Cummins were easily identifiable as they drove by.

My old merc OM617 diesel

Any ford power steering pump.

The bzzzt click of dodge caravan transmissions

GM starters

Most new cars sound boring-to-awful.

Probably the most notable for me:
- Detroit diesel 2-stroke
- Chevy 305/350 "blatt"
- Chevy V6 underwater sound on the 3.x engines

My dad owned Toyota 1GR-FE forever. So i definitely can tell that engine even from far away.

Originally Posted by eljefino

I forgot about that one...I remember that noise well from the pick up lines when I was in elementary and middle school.
lol.gif

Ford Modular V8s, especially in trucks and vans, have a very distinct starter noise.

A lot of 1990s-2000s Hondas also have a pretty distinct starter noise.

Of course there is also the Ford power steering whine.

Ah yes... drove one in high school. My 2011 Durango also made the bzzzt click noise lol

Mechanical lifters of a straight 6 Chrysler, or even the (somewhat) older Civic D15B2 engines. I'm getting used to the slightly coarse sound of the Toyota 1.8 liters, since there's 3 in the family now. Of course, I can spot a 6.2/6.5 diesel, the difference in sound between a PowerStroke 7.3, 6.0, or 6.7, compared to an older IDI 6.9/7.3.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Mechanical lifters of a straight 6 Chrysler, or even the (somewhat) older Civic D15B2 engines. I'm getting used to the slightly coarse sound of the Toyota 1.8 liters, since there's 3 in the family now. Of course, I can spot a 6.2/6.5 diesel, the difference in sound between a PowerStroke 7.3, 6.0, or 6.7, compared to an older IDI 6.9/7.3.

Sounds like the scene in CHiPs (the movie) where Jon identifies a particular Ducati bike just by listening to the audio portion of a video recording.

My dog and cat both come running and meet me at the gate (about 400 yards from the house) and both are there waiting when I pull up to open it.

Ford F150, 4.6 with a dual-outlet flowmaster.

It is NOT that loud - at all.

But they know ME from a half mile away.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Mechanical lifters of a straight 6 Chrysler,... Of course, I can spot a 6.2/6.5 diesel, the difference in sound between a PowerStroke 7.3, 6.0, or 6.7, compared to an older IDI 6.9/7.3.

Same.

I can also tell a Cat, Cummins, or Mack engine blindfolded from 50 feet away. I can tell by exhaust scent/smell, too.

That exactly describes a noise my '87 Caprice's 700R4 trans made.

I also thought of old Chrysler starters, plus

Slant-six solid lifter clatter

Pontiac V8s and big block Mopars both have distinctive exhaust notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back