VOA - Idemitsu ATF Type H Plus (DW1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by zeng
I've no doubt on the 'correct' elemental formulations of Honda DW-1 as per above table with nil/low P.
Kindly note Honda's (usually) high 413 ppm Boron.

Thousand apologies, I meant to say 'unusually' high 413 ppm Boron, in lieu of P .

Originally Posted by zeng
I've no doubt on the 'correct' elemental formulations of Honda DW-1 as per above table with nil/low P.
Kindly note Honda's (usually unusually*) high 413 ppm Boron.
Your conclusion also agrees with the previously noted Blackstone comments about Honda DW1 on the Aisin DW1 "formula" ATF VOA.

As for reason for difference between Idemitsu VOA and the Russian DW1 VOA, to use an analogy, Fram makes the A02 oil filter for Honda. The media in the A02 has been shown from several sources to be different than that in the similar construction Fram Orange can and Tough Guard. The A02 noted to be significantly less efficient than either Fram. So while Fram makes the A02, its made to Honda specs. Similarly if Idemitsu makes DW1 as alleged, looks like it's made to Honda specs. Honda Z1 which preceded DW1 was made to Honda specs too, and anecdotal comments here(bitog) and elsewhere showed it to be nothing special.

As for Aisin DW1 Formula and/or Idemitsu ATF, being "clones", not a word I would use to describe either now. Clone implies them being identical to the original, using all information here as basis, not so. To me it's Aisin and Idemitsu using specific labeling indicating single application/use ATF. Potentially that would make it more attractive to some as opposed to a Multi-Vehicle ATF like MaxLife and others.

*corrected from follow up post.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
The thing I'm most curious about is, if Idemitsu bottles 'real' DW1 for Honda, why is their version so significantly different.

Why would it be the same, in terms of metallic additives? One wouldn't need to match that in order to meet viscosity, friction, and other physical parameters. Perhaps they take the same view as Molakule re: the suitability or superiority of a phosphorylated component. Honda historically has often done things in a somewhat unusual way for reasons other than pure functional superiority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back