Valvoline Extreme 5-40 low flash point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the MSDS for the 5-40 Extreme and it lists a flash point of only ">390°" Most other synthetic 5-40 HDEO oils are in the 420-450° range. What's the difference?

Low flash point helps it combust in diesel engines and boost mileage a little bit.
lol.gif
J/K, I am not really sure what really dictates flash point other than light fractions of oil.

One must make sure you are comparing results from the same exact method of determining flash point. And even if you are, there is a large allowed tolerance for acceptable results since these tests are not precise.

After that, it should also be noted that flash point is just about the most useless reported value for a motor oil in regards to performance, even more useless than pour point. It reports the temperature at which the material will burst into flames when in the presence of an ignition source. Reported flash point is mainly for storage and fire-fighting purposes, and in this instance and for that purpose, stating >390° is sufficient and is equivalent to the higher numbers you list. It can also be used to infer fuel dilution in used oil, but it has proven to be problematic for that purpose.

This exactly. Ensure that the same method is being used, if you're comparing flashpoint to flashpoint. D92 is usually used for HDEO sheets and D93 for PCMO sheets, but you will occasionally see a number that appears to be an outlier in either case and then see they used the other methodology. I came across that at least once with HDEOs and at least once with PCMOs.

Runaway deezulz powerz, keep clipboard handy
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Low flash point helps it combust in diesel engines and boost mileage a little bit.
lol.gif
J/K, I am not really sure what really dictates flash point other than light fractions of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back