CARQUEST #84502, CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOGERS
smile.gif

Off of a friends 2016 f-150 4x4 ext cab truck. Engine is 3.5 eco boost. Oil was Magnatec 5w30 synthetic. I put Magnatec syn 5w30 he supplied and a Fram ULTRA 10575. Truck has 80,xxx miles on it. Oil that was in was in and on for 6,998 miles.

Both of us were disappointed by the deep and I mean deep cuts in adv. This is the friend that gave me the Maxlife and ST Syn HM oils also
wink.gif

20190123_163132.jpg

20190123_163309.jpg

20190123_163313.jpg

20190123_163322.jpg

20190123_163339.jpg

20190123_163350.jpg

20190123_163404.jpg

20190123_163432.jpg

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Thanks for the cut and post Adam.

Not good on the filter.

Robert, you are welcome

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I think I'm going to be sick. Also, that's one ugly filter.

Yeah, pretty darn shoddy if you ask me

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Both of us were disappointed by the deep and I mean deep cuts in adv.

[Linked Image]

Shark attack ...
eek.gif

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. They were a lot better when Wix (the OLD WIx) & Fram/Champion built them.

Couldn't agree more
smile.gif

I guess it did it's job as required.....

I mean.... It still stayed together, no tears, etc. etc. etc.

I won't be so fast to condemn it

7,000 miles seems like a good OCI for this truck

Originally Posted by blupupher
You know, while there has never been any evidence that these slices into the ADV cause problems, you do just have to ask why.
Has anyone actually checked whether cuts like that actually allow backward flow that wouldn't otherwise occur? I.e., is it a real problem, or only a cosmetic one, which is almost pointless to condemn?

Originally Posted by CR94
You know, while there has never been any evidence that these slices into the ADV cause problems, you do just have to ask why.
Has anyone actually checked whether cuts like that actually allow backward flow that wouldn't otherwise occur? I.e., is it a real problem, or only a cosmetic one, which is almost pointless to condemn?

In order for the base plate holes (with sharp edges) to cut into the ADBV like that, there has to be some level of hole blockage going on. That could cause some added flow restriction to cause added delta-p across the filter. I'd rather not add delta-p.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by CR94

In order for the base plate holes (with sharp edges) to cut into the ADBV like that, there has to be some level of hole blockage going on. That could cause some added flow restriction to cause added delta-p across the filter. I'd rather not add delta-p.

Fascinating perspective, however I find it much more probable the cuts are due to sharp surfaces on the plate, so EQUAL inlet pressure as experienced by ANY oil filter mounted on any particular application distributed across smaller surface area (sharper surfaces) in contact equaling more force applied at point of contact; nothing to do with delta-p. That's my engineering analysis.

Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Fascinating perspective, however I find it much more probable the cuts are due to sharp surfaces on the plate, so EQUAL inlet pressure as experienced by ANY oil filter mounted on any particular application distributed across smaller surface area (sharper surfaces) in contact equaling more force applied at point of contact; nothing to do with delta-p. That's my engineering analysis.

The cuts in the the ADBV are because the inner hole circumference area of the ADBV is up hard against the sharp holes in the base plate. The ADBV inner circumference area is continually being forced down on the holes from the spring in the dome end of the filter, so part of the hole area is always blocked. The ADBV has to partially cover the sharp holes and be forced down hard to receive cuts.

There have been photos posted in this forum of how much rubber covers the holes in a case like this ... approx 1/3 of each hole is covered by the ADBV. That reduces inlet hole flow area, which increases delta-p across the whole filter - that's the delta-p I'm talking about. Oil flow going into the base plate isn't going to raise that covered area because as mentioned the ADBV is being forced down hard from the dome end spring. And even if the pressure on the back side of the ADBV did cause it to dig in more to the sharp holes, that just ensures that the covered area is not going to lift off the hole while flow is happening. At any rate, I wouldn't want all the base plate holes 1/3 covered up. It's obviously a bad design.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... There have been photos posted in this forum of how much rubber covers the holes in a case like this ... approx 1/3 of each hole is covered by the ADBV. That reduces inlet hole flow area, which increases delta-p across the whole filter ... At any rate, I wouldn't want all the base plate holes 1/3 covered up. ...
How the cuts increase the hole coverage is not clear. In any case, blocking one-third the total inlet hole area will not significantly affect overall pressure drop.

Nobody has answered my question whether testing has proven such cuts actually allow "drain-back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back