CARQUEST PREMIUM # 95157 CUT OPEN

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had read that somewhere but I get Premium Guard and Pentius mixed up they look so much alike. Pentius does claim 99% at 20 for their extended filter, but I'm somewhat skeptical of that claim. The filter itself is a dead ringer for a Premium Guard (cloned?) and it also appears to by a syn blend media at best...I'd expect more in the 95% at 20 for that type of media.
Well the plot thickens. I just spoke to Martin at Premium Guard and he stated it's 99%@20 Microns for their synthetic oil filters and that they'll get the website updated. What to believe 😂

I don't think pentius shares any filters with PG w/ pentius making a good chunk of their filters in South Korea.
Pentius sent me this pic for their synthetic oil filter line a while back.
PCXL9549PentiusOilFiltermicrorating.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the plot thickens. I just spoke to Martin at Premium Guard and he stated it's 99%@20 Microns for their synthetic oil filters and that they'll get the website updated. What to believe 😂
Did you ask, or did he say that was based on on specific filter model?

I don't think pentius shares any filters with PG w/ pentius making a good chunk of their filters in South Korea.
Pentius sent me this pic for their synthetic oil filter line a while back.

I think I had seen that posted previously... Pentius is essentially saying 99% at 25 microns in what they sent you, and their website says 99% at 20 microns. Exact opposite of what Premium Guard has going, 25 microns on their site and Martin in support says it's really 20 microns. 🤷‍♂️

Pentius

If Premium Guard is really 99% at 20, with the wonderful construction we've seen here over and over again, I definitely would switch. I was pretty interested at 25 microns which is still good.

Did you ask, or did he say that was based on on specific filter model?
I absolutely asked to clarify between different models and he said that the synthetic line would meet the 99@20 rating. I was even giving him an out by saying things like "different filters may be different efficiencies so how does this line perform?". We had a good chat and I showed him were it says that on their site and that's when he stated it should say 20 not 25. Isn't all of this fun 😂

I think I had seen that posted previously... Pentius is essentially saying 99% at 25 microns in what they sent you, and their website says 99% at 20 microns. Exact opposite of what Premium Guard has going, 25 microns on their site and Martin in support says it's really 20 microns. 🤷‍♂️

Pentius

If Premium Guard is really 99% at 20, with the wonderful construction we've seen here over and over again, I definitely would switch. I was pretty interested at 25 microns which is still good.
While I've seen real good pentius filters the PG's might be easier to obtain through O'Reilly's microgard name. I will point out that I brought up O'Reilly auto and PG says they use some of their conventional filters but mostly they sell their synthetic filters.

I did ask him if he could share with me some data sheets and he seemed to might do that and if so I'll post whatever he shares.

They do pick random filters for testing consistently is what he stated to make sure they are up to their claims.

FRAM lists three different sizes tested, and it's the average of those three, IIRC. It's unfortunate that he didn't answer your question on that bit.
I mentioned to him that it has a different meaning when it's in black n white & We'll see if the Premium Guard website ever gets updated but not holding my breath in the meantime. Marvin was a real nice falla though. :)

@ZeeOSix You already know there are still Ultra's that are still made with wire backing & I wanted to arm you with more evidence. One of these said filters are made for the Volvo XC90. I just picked some up from eBay & they are wire backed. I know that buying from ebay doesn't matter but I ran a search on Fram's website to show no updated Ultra media but still the OG media w/wire. I don't think this is a real high volume filter since Purolator's equivalent doesn't offer a One or Boss.

Per Premium Guards website
  • Conventional oil filters are 93%@25 Microns
  • Synthetic oil filters are 99%@25 microns

Ahh that’s doesn’t match what is on Federated Auto part’s website…

And it doesn’t match Napa filters that say clearly 96 percent at 25 microns… For their Proformer series…

So….

There’s all of that…

Last edited:
Ahh that’s doesn’t match what is on Federated Auto part’s website…

And it doesn’t match Napa filters that say clearly 96 percent at 25 microns… For their Proformer series…

So….

There’s all of that…
Do we believe the manufacturer or the 3rd party? Or is the truth somewhere in the middle? It's a mess...

Back