Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w20, 5866 miles, 2015 Silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is the UOA for my 2015 Silverado with the 5.3 Ecotec engine. Bought this truck back in March of 2018 with 53,000 miles on it. This oil change went 5866 miles. Oil and filter replaced. This was the first oil change I've done on the truck so residual from whatever the dealership used was still in the sump.

Any ideas as to why sodium is elevated? Coolant level has remained the same since I've bought the truck. Is Schaeffer's known for high sodium content in their add pack?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 230
Last edited:
Schaeffer is known for high moly, as the sample proved.
The sodium is a ?, especially with no other supporting symptoms. Dealer oil could have had a high NA in their formula.
Did you use a gas additive ?

i dont believe Schaeffer is known for sodium at least not that i have seen recently. Could have been from previous oil.

The sodium isn't an issue. Here is a UOA from 2017 showing almost identical Sodium numbers. A 2017 VOA shows the same thing with regards to Sodium.

I was under the impression that Schaeffer oils used sodium in their pre Dexos1 Gen 2 oils, similar to Valvoline and Royal Purple. That amount would seem right if they do. I'm just going from memory and at my age it's dubious sometimes
33.gif

Whimsey

It is not losing coolant. I do not use any fuel additives. I stop exclusively at an Exxon by my house for fuel unless I'm out of town and must fill up.

The last fill would've been with bulk Motorcraft, as I purchased it from a Ford dealer who had changed the oil.

Originally Posted by JustN89
The sodium isn't an issue. Here is a UOA from 2017 showing almost identical Sodium numbers. A 2017 VOA shows the same thing with regards to Sodium.

Excellent, looks to be normal for Supreme 9000.

Originally Posted by Pilatus1
It is not losing coolant. I do not use any fuel additives. I stop exclusively at an Exxon by my house for fuel unless I'm out of town and must fill up.

The last fill would've been with bulk Motorcraft, as I purchased it from a Ford dealer who had changed the oil.

Most-all Ford Dealers use more than one brand of oil. It's possible the sodium came from another brand of oil at the Ford Dealer, one that's high in sodium.

I've seen older Schaeffer's 9000 5w-30 with a lot of sodium in their VOA (this one is from 2013 on PQIA) so it could just be part of their add pack.

Schaeffer's has been noted as using an add pack with sodium for some time and I don't think they're changing anything for dexos2 Gen 2 at this point. They claim to meet or exceed dexos1 but I don't think they truly had the cert (it is obsolete now).

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
That is a LOT of sodium!

This is why it's smart to dump whatever oil is in your new to you used car and do a proper oil change. You just never know what oil the last idiot poured in there. Could have been the wrong spec and they didn't even touch the oil filter. I'd never take that chance with an expensive vehicle.

Originally Posted by Artem
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
That is a LOT of sodium!

This is why it's smart to dump whatever oil is in your new to you used car and do a proper oil change. You just never know what oil the last idiot poured in there. Could have been the wrong spec and they didn't even touch the oil filter. I'd never take that chance with an expensive vehicle.

The sodium is from the OP's oil choice.

I agree with Gokhan. Switch to a brand that is easy to acquire...easy on the pocketbook...and has a robust and solid add pack proven by VOA's. A Valvoline or Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 or 30 will set your mind at ease. A high quality filter as well such as a Fram Ultra for $8-$9 would do the trick nicely. Or an OEM Filter.

Originally Posted by SubieBlue
I agree with Gokhan. Switch to a brand that is easy to acquire...easy on the pocketbook...and has a robust and solid add pack proven by VOA's. A Valvoline or Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 or 30 will set your mind at ease. A high quality filter as well such as a Fram Ultra for $8-$9 would do the trick nicely. Or an OEM Filter.

High copper could be due to corrosion and a more stout oil such as Mobil 1 Extended Protection SN PLUS (has some PAO) or Pennzoil Platinum SN PLUS (GTL) can help, with the magnesium in SN PLUS increasing the TBN retention and reducing corrosion and the better base oil reducing the oil-oxidation-induced TAN rise.

The viscosity also came very low for an xW-20 but that's probably not the reason for the high copper.

Yeah the copper is the only thing I see that's concerning. Does it have and oil cooler?
No potassium with the sodium so it must just be additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back