Starter cross reference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a long shot, but my Kubota G5200 needs a new starter. Mitsubishi p/n M002T42381 and Kubota p/n 15852-63014.

What are the chances of this part or an equivalent being used in a passenger car? Thanks.

I do not know if this helps you or not.....but I just found a local shop that rebuilds starters.....they say they will rebuild any starter.....mine was about 120 dollars

I'll let you know about an experience I had a couple of years ago: My mom has an early John Deere Gator. The starter on her unit failed and I started searching the internet for a replacement.
I found a third-party seller on walmart.com that sold a replacement starter for it and they shipped it to my door for under $35 and free shipping. I compared the old Denso with the replacement no-label starter and all tooling marks and reinforcement markings on the starters were identical. Now I'm not saying that they sent me a Denso starter, I'm just saying that if it isn't a Denso, exterior-wise, they are identical.
She's had two years of flawless results from the replacement starter.

What is the problem with it? Solenoid, drive, brushes, bushings? As long as the armature and field winding's are okay its no big deal to repair. The OE starter is about $350 may be more.

Kruse's experience dovetails with mine. The no-name starter's parts interchanged 100% I misdiagnosed a wiring fault as a failed clone starter. I mixed and matched parts with a very worn original starter. Every part interchanged. Quality was equal. It is the same with the Zama carb clones for 2 strokes. These are hand assembled. It is all about what the assembler gets paid.

Originally Posted by Trav
What is the problem with it? Solenoid, drive, brushes, bushings? As long as the armature and field winding's are okay its no big deal to repair. The OE starter is about $350 may be more.

Not sure exactly. It makes noise, but it doesn't sound like the motor is strong enough to turn it. It'll eventually turn the engine after some tinkering.

Pulled the starter from my other Kubota and it fired right up. Without being plugged in too.

The drive end housing, and often the pinion gear are special. The motor, solenoid parts and starter clutch are usually interchangeable. There re many different pinion shafts, pinion gears, and solenoid plunger assemblies so you kind of have to know what you are doing. Some are only slightly different.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
What do you tinker with that makes it work?

I grab the crank and rotate it maybe 20-30 degrees then try starting. Repeat until it fires. Sometimes it takes several attempts.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Kubota starters usually do have an automotive cross, but for cars not sold in the US, or extremely uncommon models.

Makes sense. I was finding a lot of stuff in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back