M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by oghl
Originally Posted by Purpfox
M1 0w40 lists a TBN as 12.6, this should get quite a few miles before its used up. now compared to M1 5w30 of only TBN 6.8.
Viscosity's are very close at 12.9@100c 70@40c with a VI 189 for the 0w40
11.0@100c 61.7@40 with a VIof 172 for the 5w30
someone mentioned the M1 EP 5w30 and it starts with a lower viscosity and not much improvement on the TBN at 8.26
Data provided from either Mobil pds page or my tested results

I think I mentioned earlier that this 0W40 is a step or three above most 5w30. Maybe I should have said it's a step or 5 above
smile.gif

That 5W30 that you guys are talking about is probably step above 0W40.
It is low -SAPS oil for diesel engines and gassers where ULSG is available.
Previous version of that 5W30, M1 ESP Formula 5W30, was arguably best product they had in line up for a long time. Do not confuse that 5W30 with regular ILSAC GF-5 5W30.

Yeah, that low TBN is not for standard M1 5W30...it is usually shown as somewhere between 9 and 10.

Sorry for the late reply.......

Originally Posted by StevieC
And we have verifiable proof that they weren't stretching the truth on this?

Oh,, yes - I knew both personally, and well.
The first is a guy was in 1993 with a 1987 Chevy Corsica, 2.2 (pushrod?) engine... Fella was a little bit of an "odd duck" -
He believed Mobil 1 and AmsOil were identical formulas -
and that OIL NEVER REALLY WORE OUT - - "just got dirty" (no one really knew about TBN/TAN in those days).
He changed the Mobil 1 (not sure if 10W-30... or??) once per year (50,000 miles) and the spin-on every 10,000 miles (I think Napa)
That Corsica had 230,000 on it when I saw it (I didn't drive it). I was amazed when he said he did 50,000 mile OCI's!!!!

The second was a young fella, a computer whiz - - - Right before and during the big "Windows 95" roll-out
This guy was building his own PC desktops and driving all over getting them set up in homes and businesses.
Working 15 hours a day and barely even checking his oil. I changed the factory oil fill at 18,000(!) in his Chevy K1500
Filled with Mobil 1 10W-30 and a Delco PF35. He did at least keep the oil level up, but I doubt he was still adding Mobil 1.
I changed that sump load and filter out less than a year later with over 50,000 miles on it (350 TBI)

Originally Posted by burla
, if m1 recommends 15,000 miles then you can go 50k miles no problem, after I was done laughing I'd likely laugh some more.

I didn't say I recommended it - - - so don't say that I did....

But I DO SAY they both made out of the deal OK without any obvious negative faults or failures.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That vvti aint gonna like that. My yaris wanted something between a 20 and a 30 MAX.
BUT,
reading your putting 50k on a year maybe you do a lot of highway. That yamaha1.5L + 70MPH highway may be OK with a A3 40 grade oil ( MB 229.5 0w40 is near a thick 30 - or it will be in a month ). Most thing I would be interested in is how soggy the engine gets around town with the thick oil.

Ive already put a few k on the oil or so and honestly I don't notice a difference. Just got back from a 7 hour drive yesterday and the gas mileage was good like usual.

Don't worry his opinions tend to be from left field. It should last 15K OCI given your driving habits the only way to know for sure is via UOA.

Yes they come from a respected professional mechanical engineer and former NIASE master - not a layperson. Plus I owned a car with the OP engine. Whats YOUR perspective? - other than a hurt ego.

Pinoak

I think you should do a solid 10,000 miles if mixed driving,
or 15,000 highway miles - then do a UOA on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back