Moving mobility scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I will need to move one around Easter. My FIL passed away and we think my son might be able to use it--he has a class trip coming up and he won't be able to do all the walking required, thus it might be time to have the scooter around our house. But first I need to move it home, and then figure out how to move around in general.

Seems like I can get hitch mounted carriers, but only for 2" receivers. And the thing is out in the elements.

What do others do? FIL had a special van that he could drive into; that is long gone. And we're not going down that path any time soon. I suspect it could be tied down in a minivan; ramps for that would be quite minimal. A small trailer might be fine, and would work with a 1.25" receiver. But then I have to figure out parking on said trailer. I'm thinking that is best path, at least for now. Maybe a 4x6 HF trailer, figure out how to "enclose" it. Small and light. Wife could learn how to pull it with her car.

Just to get it home isn't really an issue--drive into the back of my truck, or use one of my trailers, that isn't a problem. It's the long term aspect. Using my truck isn't a good long term option--my son has problems climbing up in already. He's still quite mobile, but any sort of climbing is becoming quite problematic.

A year ago we had to move some furniture. I think it was Budget that had a $19.95 deal for four hours. This was a cargo van.

I might check the rental places.

Originally Posted by PimTac
A year ago we had to move some furniture. I think it was Budget that had a $19.95 deal for four hours. This was a cargo van.

I might check the rental places.

Have a cargo trailer already. Moving it once is not a problem. Moving it repeatedly is. Especially if it's the wife doing it.

I've seen wheelchair mounts on the back of regular sedans and they always look super overloaded and bending down really bad.

I'd think the smallest trailer harbor freight has would be best. Might be difficult to load though even with a ramp due to height.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that. Wife really isn't interested in getting another vehicle for herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back