Best all purpose bike in your fleet ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it was my aluminum framed Trek 6000 that did trails and road rides and around town stuff: Trek

But it may be being pushed aside by a 1999 K2 (prolly a 4000 ..., no markings) aluminum framed FS bike with carbon rear swing arm that is like driving a Cadillac (from yesteryear). Marzocchi air front and Fox air rear. It just does not care about pavement heaves, pot holes, rocky trail areas, nada. I put a seat post rack on it with a machine shop bushing so it does not move. Weighs in right at 30#. It'll carry what I need and ride along comfortably
smile.gif

Last edited:
it was my cyclocross bike until it got stolen at work.

Road? I can put road tires on. Gravel, grass, hardpack? I can use cyclocross tires. not technical single track, yes. Technical trails, well that's the limit.

I like and still have my Cannondale F500 with HeadShok. I put on a Berserker DH seat, and some hybrid knobbies and just rode.
The HeadShock was rebuilt a few years back, the victim of too many trails and wheelies.
It needs some attention now, cables, brakes, cleaning, but has been a faithful servant for almost 20 years. I imagine it could go another 20 with a younger person.

Last edited:
My Specialized Tricross Sport Disc. It's an SUB. it does the road and dirt, it can haul as well with a rack or a trailer I found on the street when my rack broke in the middle of an alleycat bike race.

IMG_0569.JPG

Just picked up in the last week a left over new 2017 Specialized Epic Hardtail Pro World Cup 29er
This will do all my fun off road and duty bike to go along with my road race bike
excited to get it out a bit.

My 07 giant trance-x. It's done trails all over the Rockies with a 140mm revelation fork. Moab with a 160mm Pike and the last 5 years as my summer commuter and visitor spare bike. Bought as a frame in 2007 and has had a myriad of drivetrains. Burning through my stash of 9 speed drivetrain parts as a commuter.

My most versatile bike is my Surly Pugsley fat bike - it's a great 3-season trail bike and urban commuter with its knobbys, and with the studded winter tires is a great winter bike.

Someday I may bite the bullet and get a narrower wheelset to accommodate 2.7 - 3.0" tires. That would make it a reasonable summer touring bike. The front fork would easily accommodate a rack, allowing me to carry front panniers. The 2 x 9 drive train is low enough to allow hill climbs on a tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back