BMW and Shell LA2634

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 BMW 540i states everywhere that Dexron ATF should not be used and only Shell LA2634 fluid shoudl be used. Anyone know the specs on this or reason ??? I emailed Redline and they said I could use their D4 ATF. I think that D4 meets GL-4 specs. Anyone?

Most of these German cars, including VW/Audi, BMW and Mercedes are now using special fluids in their automatic transmissions. These fluids have different frictional properties than Dexron/Mercon products and most likely produce a different amount of seal swell. I would be very careful about substituting any other fluid and I would get something in writing from Redline that officially states their fluid is okay to use. Better yet, I'd find someone who has used this oil for an extended period of time - as in several years - with no problems ....

I am not aware of any second sources of the BMW ATF - it is probably some sort of Group III oil or a PAO based synthetic.

TooSlick

As tooslick suggested, get the cross reference data from Redline on their recommended replacement fluid. They have made incorrect recommendations before regarding BMW ATF.

If you're using a ZF built automatic transmission then there are substitutes for the Shell fluid. The ATF is a semi-synthetic, BMW P/N 8 322 940 7765, and is sold in 25 liter containers. It is considered a "lifetime" fill. However, if you just need to top off your transmission you can use a rather common "Pennzoil Multi-vehicle ATF". It specifically meets the BMW specification, along with numerous other requirements. It also meets the ESSO LT71141 requirement specified by the E36 M3, E38 740/750, and E39 540i.

I'm sure that there are others but this is the only one i'm familiar with. It beats having to buy the 25 liter container - especially when the refill quantity of your transmission is only 8 liters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back