PG 5 micron filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm Don, Bitog isn't new to me by any means but Im new to y'all. I've been reading for a few years now.
Anyway I m super excited about this new filter I ordered.
I'm gonna try it as an atf filter in the return line.
I searched for the most efficient oil filter easily available and came up with the Harley Davidson super 5 micron filter. Then I found this premium guard. It's 99%efficient at 5 microns so I figure it's probably capable of catching smaller particles down to 2 microns or so pretty well. Didn't see any info about flow but if it flows well enough tofilter oil on a Harley engine and not fall apart it should be fine in the return line on an at. I might do an analysis before and after to compare.
Oh and at least the media is made in the US.
Thanks for any advice or comments
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Looks like it is made by champion labs..... SAME exact filter as Royal Purple (but probably cheaper!)

Pinoak -
welcome2.gif
to the site for posting!

Originally Posted by Pinoak
It's 99%efficient at 5 microns so I figure it's probably capable of catching smaller particles down to 2 microns or so pretty well.

I don't see their website giving details of this claim ...
Their website only claims 99% at 25um (not 5um). 99% at 5um would be outstanding, and I find it hard to believe. I'd have to see the real data to believe it. That box might well be a typo; a marketing faux pax.
https://www.pgfilters.com/oil-filters/
When I pull up that specific filter: https://www.pgfilters.com/product-p...-Electra-Glide-Ultra-Classic/Oil-Filter/
it only claims 96% at 20um (a much more believable value)

Oddly, they also say that their extend life filter performance is only 99% "if used with synthetic oil". What kind of malarkey is that? Somehow their media knows what kind of oil base stock you have, and it's subsequent filtration efficiency is altered by the base stock?

It's probably a decent filter, but nothing special over all the other picks out there. And sure as heck isn't 99% at 5um, but then again, neither is the Harley filter ....

I emailed them to ask about the discrepancy of claims; we'll see what they say.

Last edited:
Interesting that a normally "Made in China" manufacturer has (apparently) RP/Ultra level media-I don't think that's a Champion Labs filter, but it might be an interesting one to try if the price is right.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Your gonna pay a price in flow for 5 micron.

Which this one apparently is not, despite the label on the box.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Your gonna pay a price in flow for 5 micon.

It's what the later model HD's call for. I have that very same filter. Haven't used it yet, but looks well built, and is heavy.

I remember a very very long time ago that Amsoil used to claim it had a 5 micron filter, this was back around 1990 when I first gave Amsoil a try. I wish I had kept all that old literature I got from them at that time to see if my memory was correct (or if they simply claimed it could filter down to 5 microns but it was really something like 25% efficiency at 5 microns)

almost anything beats overpriced HD parts. their earlier bikes had LITTLE oil pressure, the newer M-8"s are better for that but still got issues not solved.

I don't believe the 5 micron claim and Harley does require a 5 micron filter. I have used the PG cartridge in my MB ML diesel and they look really well made. Syn media in screen. Box states it's good for 10k+ OIC's. I got them really cheap on Rock Auto.

I think this may well be a Premium Guard oil filter... Plastic cover in the end which I have only seen with Premium Guard filters lately.... And red silicone gasket seal which again I have only seen on Premium Guard made filters lately...

But it could be made by someone else... Be interesting to see who manufactured this filter.

I agree with others it's probably not a 99% at 5 microns filter.

What's the asterix say after the statement "at 5 microns" on the box?

I think it was about $11 free shipping. The OE are $8 or so more. How much is a Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back