Question on ACEA Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
While searching for a easier to obtain oil for my '17 Cruze Diesel I was reminded that FCA had changed the oil recommendations for the Ram Ecodiesel to use a API CJ-4 or ACEA A3/B4 or E9/E7. Which have varying degrees of compatibility with filters, nox reduction systems and egr. My Cruze on the other and recommends only Dexos 2 which is built on ACEA C3 specs.r

When FCA changed the specs on the Ram they started recommending Rotella 5W-40 instead.

My question Is, both have DPF, SCR, EGR so would I be ok with running Rotella in my Cruze as well. I only ask because no one in town sells any form on Dexos 2 oil and my Amsoil hookup might no longer be available. I can order Pennzoil Euro L off Walmarts website and have it delivered but if I can just pickup some Rotella instead, it might simplify things.

Any suggestions?

17'...so it has DPF filter right? If that is correct...than it is odd that FCA (whatever that is) is prescribing full saps oils (A3/B4)... Or HDEOs...because even if HDEO is of "low saps" it still has more saps then proper ACEA Cx PCMO oil...

Your cruze has opel/vauxhall 1.6cdti diesel...

So go on any major EU oil brand site...and search for their oil tool...

What you need is any 5w40 or 5w30 oil with BMW LL-04 or MB 229.51 or ACEA C3 or Dexos 2 or Porsche C30 approval...these are all mid/low-saps approvals...

For an example: https://www.kroon-oil.com/en/product-recommendation/light-commercial-vehicles-75t/vauxhall/combo-d/combo-d-16-cdti-88-kw/72285/530798/#!/component:530798/

Last edited:
Yes it has a DPF, for now anyways.

I was wondering the same, how can they suggest an oil such as Rotella and not have issues with the aftertreatment.

I read that several people have been getting T6 oil changes at the dealerships on the Ram Ecodiesel.

For now, I plan using he Pennzoil Euro L, it has the approvals mentioned.

Last edited:
I think the SAPS difference between the CJ4/CK4 and the ACEA recommended oil is minimal at best if I recall.

Ram/Jeep had Ecodiesels grenading at varying miles so apparently they changed some tuning and upped the viscosity to a 40 weight and changed it over to CJ4/CK4. Their new spec apparently is nothing more than CES20081. Over at a ram 1500 diesel forum, one guy emailed Mobil about the new Chrysler spec and they equated it to CES20081.

I do not think the new oil really has made a difference on the engines one way or another. They can still grenade, the emissions systems can still conk out or they will run for ever.

Try the HDEO and see how she performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back