What engines are the hardest to change spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subaru's flat engines

Most transverse V6's require pulling the intake, which can take a full day. A few of them have cutouts to access the rear plugs, but this is the exception not the rule. And minivans and crossovers are even worse! Toyota's 1MZ requires 2-prong platinum plugs, and Bosch used to make a 4-prong iridium called the Platinum-Ir Fusion. I consider the Pt-Ir Fusion a MUST on the 1MZ

I have also heard bad things about the Ford Aerostar's plugs, so much that most mechanics will cheat and only do 5 of the 6. The full-size vans where the engine is tucked under the windshield are also a pain.

The 4th gen Camaro/Firebird has the engine tucked under the windshield as well, so the spark plug job can be difficult as well.

For all the above, iridium is a MUST!!!!!

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I heard the transverse DOHC V6 Fords are ugly on the firewall side.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

I have also heard bad things about the Ford Aerostar's plugs, so much that most mechanics will cheat and only do 5 of the 6. The full-size vans where the engine is tucked under the windshield are also a pain.

dad had a bout 6 of those over the years as company cars, we never did any plug changes ourselves, but there were carpeted panels with latches on them, in the front footwells, on either side of the central stack of the dash. you removed those to change the rear plugs.

Originally Posted by E150GT
7.3 powerstroke

lol.gif

Transverse v6 motors get my vote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E150GT
7.3 powerstroke

That Tesla in space orbit's gonna be hard to get to.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
No brainer

Ford 3v 5.4. Simply the stupidest design in the history of engines

As much as I love Ford, this by far.

The worst I ever did was an aerostar. Took most of a day to do. I did a 5.7 hemi in a Dodge truck a few weeks back and the rear plugs on the driver side were terrible to get to. They had never been changed but the 14 others had.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I heard the transverse DOHC V6 Fords are ugly on the firewall side.

And 1996-2002 Lincoln Continental 4.6L V8 transverse DOHC are 33% worse....lol. I've owned 3 of these over the past 17 years. And of course my other car is the nearly as bad LS1 V8 with half the engine tucked under the dash. Just lucky I guess.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

To haul my three kids around when they were growing up, I've owned four Aerostar vans. Neither the 3.0 or the 4.0 is fun to change plugs in, but after doing a plug change for the first time, it's not a terrible job if you use the right amount of extensions.
Installing a Timesert into cylinder 4 of a 5.4 Ford is worse.
Edit: Getting back to the Aerostar, I do remember having a neighbor tell me of a story about taking his Aerostar to the Ford dealership for a spark plug change. After dropping his van off in the morning, he goes back at quitting time to pick it up and was informed by the shop foreman that his van wasn't ready. The shop foreman told him that his most seasoned mechanic was changing plugs in it and simply, shouted out the "F" word, packed up his tools and left permanently.
I'm sure there were other circumstances that were building up, however.

Last edited:
We had a 2005 Durango with a hemi. Twin plugs per cylinder. The engine was pretty far back. Not difficult but it took a while.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Transverse v6 motors get my vote.

I agree.

It was one of the first things I thought about when I looked under the hood of my new Santa Fe.
Not looking forward to that (but that will not be for another 7-8 years)

No brainer

I did not find it too hard. #4 plug I had to remove the computer to get to it, but otherwise pretty easy.
Getting the plugs out in one piece is the hard part (I luckily got all 8 out intact).

I remember doing the plugs on a late 80's or early 90's Ford Ranger V-6 that had one plug I just could not get to (want to say drivers rear plug?). It was tucked up right at the frame and firewall, no way to get a socket to it.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
No brainer

As much as I love Ford, this by far.

Nothing worse that spark plugs that come out in pieces! Or blow themselves out the top of the hood!

Diesels. It's impossible to change the spark plugs, because it doesn't have any.

Last edited:
Toyota transverse V6s - bank 1 against the firewall so have to remove the winshield wiper arms, winshield cowling and air intake surge tank short of the manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back