Repair of bottle jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10 or 15 year old Sears bottle jack that does nothing when I pump it. I can move the screw open and closed. I do not see any obvious way to add hydraulic jack oil.

If it was layed on its side for a while, it may just need an air bleed. Set it to "not pump up" and pump it 20-25 times. Then set it to "up" and see if it pumps up.

(Don't store bottle jacks on their side.)

There should be a screw, screw plug, or rubber plug along the side for adding fluid. It may not be real obvious.

I rebuilt my ancient Drednaut 6 ton bottle jack earlier this year. Good thing too, as my nearly 100 pound Sears 3-ton "the beast" 1990-ish floor jack just died on me. Unfortunately all the quick fixes didn't work, bleeding, O ring on the pump piston, so another rebuild kit is on its way to me right now. Price was perilously close to a new 3-ton HF jack on New Year's "clearance"... but I'd rather have this Made in Japan beast back, and rebuild it once ever 3-4 decades.

Originally Posted by HangFire
If it was layed on its side for a while, it may just need an air bleed. Set it to "not pump up" and pump it 20-25 times. Then set it to "up" and see if it pumps up.

There should be a screw, screw plug, or rubber plug along the side for adding fluid. It may not be real obvious.

I rebuilt my ancient Drednaut 6 ton bottle jack earlier this year. Good thing too, as my nearly 100 pound Sears 3-ton "the beast" 1990-ish floor jack just died on me. Unfortunately all the quick fixes didn't work, bleeding, O ring on the pump piston, so another rebuild kit is on its way to me right now. Price was perilously close to a new 3-ton HF jack on New Year's "clearance"... but I'd rather have this Made in Japan beast back, and rebuild it once ever 3-4 decades.
Those old Craftsman floor jacks are well worth maintaining. I have a two ton that I purchased forty some years ago. Have never done anything to it but change the fluid, which has kept it operating without any problems.

I have a 20 year old Sears 3 ton hi lift jack that just quit working. I have tried to do the bleed and it does not help. Plenty of oil in it. But last time I looked up for parts to rebuild at Sears they said no longer available. It's been leaking when stored for a while.

So where do you get the parts to rebuild?

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

Those old Craftsman floor jacks are well worth maintaining. I have a two ton that I purchased forty some years ago. Have never done anything to it but change the fluid, which has kept it operating without any problems.

I have a Craftsman floor jack that works fine, this is a bottle jack.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

I have a Craftsman floor jack that works fine, this is a bottle jack.
Originally Posted by SHOZ
I have a 20 year old Sears 3 ton hi lift jack that just quit working. I have tried to do the bleed and it does not help. Plenty of oil in it. But last time I looked up for parts to rebuild at Sears they said no longer available. It's been leaking when stored for a while.

So where do you get the parts to rebuild?

See second post from HangFire.

Get part number and see if anyone on eBay is selling it. There are people on eBay selling new but old stock on eBay.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have a 10 or 15 year old Sears bottle jack that does nothing when I pump it.

How many ton? Unless it's 6 or more, the cost of parts and shipping will be about the same as a brand new jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back