Drum brake cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this for many years, locally made, it's a garden sprinkler inside a housing, a drain hole, and a couple of adapters for different size drums. Put a container underneath, pull the trigger and all the dust gets washed off into the drain tray. You can air dry or blow dry. We used it nearly everyday in my shop, but have hardly used it for the last decade as it doesn't fit larger drum sizes...and you need water supply inside the shop. I had a look at the rear brakes on my wife's Nissan Expert yesterday, and dragged it out....works great.

WP_20181231_10_56_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20181231_10_56_19_Pro.jpg

After going through 12 cans of brake cleaner on the 16x3 rear brake drums, and parts on my 1950 Chevy 1.5 ton, when I did the front brakes, I tried a different method. Which worked great! I just soaked them down with detergent, and hit them with the high pressure washer. It even cleaned off the fluid soaked original 2400 mile shoes which are gripping great now, and 68 years old. Soap and water works much better than nasty old brake cleaner I finally found out.

Last edited:
Hate to think how much asbestos I breathed in as a young tacker...standard procedure was to smack the drums off with a hammer, then blow the dust off the shoes with an airline. And no hearing protection while doing any of that either!

I've had worse, we used to reline our shoes, then grind a chamfer on the edge...asbestos dust everywhere ! Hot water is the best way to clean brakes, but everyone likes to buy cans of chemicals to do the same job that should cost nothing. The garden sprinkler is quick, easy and no mess. I use a garden sprayer at work, we have no hose setup in the workshop I can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back