Headlights improve, but base models leave drivers in the dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
The reflector halogens on the F150 are awful. You need to go to 502A Lariat package to get LED from factory.

Replacing with LED bulbs is a big improvement. I would like to see them go back to offering projector housings on XLT trim.

How did they improve? My 18' F150 has lousy headlamps but it's the reflectors. I can't see how changing the bulb source would improve that?

My '18 also came with horrible vertical alignment new. None of the light was on the ground - was all in everyones faces. I took a couple of weeks to aim them lower then tweak to get it right. With the light on the road, it's too far rightward and there's no adjustment for that. The distribution is also splotchy, like an accident. I'm guessing the engineers probably modeled the shape about right, but the molding process was lame - the smaller the lamps get, and the size of those reflectors is pretty cramped, the more precision is required. Best selling truck? The economy of scale should have really helped them here.

Originally Posted by meep
Originally Posted by wallyuwl
The reflector halogens on the F150 are awful. You need to go to 502A Lariat package to get LED from factory.

Replacing with LED bulbs is a big improvement. I would like to see them go back to offering projector housings on XLT trim.

How did they improve? My 18' F150 has lousy headlamps but it's the reflectors. I can't see how changing the bulb source would improve that?

My '18 also came with horrible vertical alignment new. None of the light was on the ground - was all in everyones faces. I took a couple of weeks to aim them lower then tweak to get it right. With the light on the road, it's too far rightward and there's no adjustment for that. The distribution is also splotchy, like an accident. I'm guessing the engineers probably modeled the shape about right, but the molding process was lame - the smaller the lamps get, and the size of those reflectors is pretty cramped, the more precision is required. Best selling truck? The economy of scale should have really helped them here.

I've owned Dodges, Silverados, GMCs and Fords and for the standard halogen reflective lights, the Silverados were by far the best. They had the most - light on the ground where you need it - out of the 3. The F150s were terrible. Enormous, and terrible. The Ram's weren't far behind. I just fail to understand why we're still using these crappy halogen lights on everything. I can buy a new Corolla with awesome LED lights, but a $60k truck gets worthless halogen lights.

I'm in the market for a new Ram. I'll be looking for an '18 leftover but I refuse to pay another $10k for an upgraded model just to get projector lights. I can buy a set of OE projectors on ebay brand new for 800 bucks and a small plug and play wiring harness to get the highbeam shutters to work for another hundred.

What base models? My Toyota is 2015, Limited trim with JBL, real leather etc. and has the crappiest headlights ever. I am seriously thinking to do some aftermarket kit bcs. when it is raining or snowing I cannot see anything in front.

Halogen itself is not the problem - in fact halogen has benefits that many HIDs and certainly LEDs lack, which is color spectrum. HID "white" and LED "white" are not evenly distributed spectrum, not unlike CFLs. They look white, but it's not natural, and the high blue content reduces nighttime crispness. Try this-- look at a blue LED digital clock at a distance, compare to a red. It surprised me too. A properly designed and built halogen lamp is terrific, and I've had a couple of vehicles that did a really good job, and got the light out front where it needed to be. An early release gen 4 town & country was phenomenal, though a later model of the same gen sorely disappointed (change manufacturers or design?), an 08 Grand Cherokee - and 2 halogen-fired S60s had wonderful headlamps. (our 09 with HID was not as good).

I'd consider retrofitting the 150 with projectors, but I've yet to find an afternmarket kit that gets the near-field / far-field distribution correct; and that needs to be near perfect for me to be worth it.

Originally Posted by meep
Halogen itself is not the problem - in fact halogen has benefits that many HIDs and certainly LEDs lack, which is color spectrum. HID "white" and LED "white" are not evenly distributed spectrum, not unlike CFLs. They look white, but it's not natural, and the high blue content reduces nighttime crispness.

Yes, this is the point I've been making for years.

Some manufacturers are leaving drivers in the dark. Poor-rated headlights are the only ones available on 43 of the 2018 models IIHS evaluated.

Audi Q3
Buick LaCrosse
Cadillac ATS
Cadillac CTS
Chevrolet Bolt
Chevrolet Colorado crew cab
Chevrolet Colorado extended cab
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 extended cab
Chrysler 300
Dodge Charger
Dodge Grand Caravan
Dodge Journey
Fiat 500X
Ford Edge
Ford Explorer
Ford F-150 crew cab
Ford F-150 extended cab
Ford Fusion
Ford Taurus
GMC Canyon crew cab
GMC Canyon extended cab
GMC Terrain
Honda Civic 2-door cab
Honda Civic 4-door sedan
Honda Civic 4-door hatchback
Honda Fit
Honda HR-V
Hyundai Accent
Infiniti QX60
Jeep Renegade
Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid
Mercedes Benz C-Class
Mercedes-Benz CLA
Nissan Frontier crew cab
Nissan Frontier extended cab
Toyota 4Runner
Toyota C-HR
Toyota Yaris iA
Volkswagen Passat
Volkswagen Tiguan Limited

Sometimes a IIHS rating of poor can be improved to acceptable or good simply by re-aiming the headlights

Subaru is among a handful of manufacturers that made running changes to certain 2018 models to improve ratings, mostly by readjusting headlight aim. As a result, the Crosstrek moved to a good rating from poor for its best-available headlights, the Forester climbed to acceptable from marginal, and the Outback rose to good from acceptable. Other manufacturers that made similar running changes are Hyundai/Kia, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Volvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back