HF HNBR O-Rings: Safe for long-term fuel exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to remove the fuel dampener (part of the fuel rail) in order to perform some repairs on an engine. The o-ring on the fuel dampener was damaged during the removal process. My pack of HF HNBR o-rings has the correct size. However, is this material suitable for long-term exposure to gasoline?

68413D4B-624C-4EF7-A64D-B72B203BECF2.jpeg

I'd say no. Seems I remember wanting to one day and rubbing an HNBR O-ring with my fingers and some carb cleaner and it disintegrated. Go with nitrile rubber.

I am an HF fan generally, but am wary about using their stuff in critical applications like fuel. You are probably safe, but I'd be temped to let one soak in fuel for a bit before I commit, if you have the time.

Last edited:
Critic if you like fire use HNBR o-rings to seal gasoline lines.
HNBR should not for use with gasoline
HNBR is just Nitrile (Bina-N) souped-up so that it can have a higher temp rating.

Viton (Flurocarbon) or souped-up Viton are the only o-rings designed for today's gasoline.

PS: The quality of HF Viton o-rings are so poor I would not use then on a lawn mower.

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
I wouldn't trust HF o-rings based on what I've seen. Poor molding, flash and QA. Can't you get this o-ring from the dealer?

True, I forgot gasoline is not gasoline anymore. My bad.

I believe gasoline applications typically uses Viton rubber. Buna-N or HNBR has stronger strength and good for gas but Viton is excellent for gas. IMHO, I think I would go OEM in this situation just because of my fear for a highly critical sealing and don't want leaks.

You don't have to take my word about HNBR conduct a simple test yourself.

Take two new HNBR o-rings that are the same size.
Find a clean glass container like a baby food jar and put enough gasoline in to cover the o-ring.
Put one o-ring in the jar of gasoline and put the other same size o-ring in a plastic bag and label it.
One week later take the HNBR o-ring out of the gasoline and compare it with the one in the plastic bag.
The untouched HNBR o-ring in the plastic bag will have magically shrunk.

Oh, and the last thing is I don't think any vehicles especially Japanese follow the SAE AS568 standard for fractional sizes with fuel rails which your o-ring container uses. It's probably metric sizing so even though it may appear to fit, the gland, major OD, and well dimensions won't allow a proper squish on the o-ring profile so again, my recommendations is not so much material compatibility but more of dimensional fit up concern.

Originally Posted by ron350
You don't have to take my word about HNBR conduct a simple test yourself.

Take two new HNBR o-rings that are the same size.
Find a clean glass container like a baby food jar and put enough gasoline in to cover the o-ring.
Put one o-ring in the jar of gasoline and put the other same size o-ring in a plastic bag and label it.
One week later take the HNBR o-ring out of the gasoline and compare it with the one in the plastic bag.
The untouched HNBR o-ring in the plastic bag will have magically shrunk.

As I understand it, older rubber fuel hose is nitrile/NBR. Newer ones have a fluoroelastomer liner to deal with alcohol and diesel additives.

Thank you for the information. Since this is a critical application (fuel pipe which connects the damper to the fuel rail), I decided to buy the o-rings from the dealer.

I did have one of the green HNBR O-rings in service for one day without issues, but it did get a bit softer.

D23B0DBD-8B39-4330-B444-D67F4B72C9EB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back