Thinking of a Chevy Volt as a tax break

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Volt is heavily discounted right now. Locally available for about $25K + fees. The $7500 tax break applies till the end of 2018. And I could use a tax break.

I've driven them, they are OK. Even so, It is not a first choice. I'd much prefer a 'Vette, STI, or Jag F-Type convertible.

But I could prob use another car, as I'm living in 2 locations with one car at each location for the two of us.

The thing is, none of my trips are short, so the electric drive is not particularly useful. My commute alone is 120 miles/day and I can't charge in the airport parking lot. Even so, the Volt will charge with 115V cord overnight, so no special equipment needed.

Looks like you're in the know on the tax breaks. EV's tend to have good "ummmf".

Keep in mind it takes 12-14 plus hours to charge a volt on a home outlet. You might consider the investment in a level 2 charger.

Living in FL you're fine with it, but if you lived up north, battery time (Kwh use or miles) can be significantly cut down by the cold wx. Again, not a problem in Jupiter, but a consideration. Long distances or reduced battery expectations lead to range anxiety.

You can also get used volts for pretty darn cheap. 8kish range only a few years old!!

Last edited:
People with short commutes love Volts. They have sold very well in Silicon Valley.
Remember, you have to take delivery by the end of the year to get the Federal Tax credit.
Many states have benefits as well, but there are often qualifications, such as salary limits.
With your commute, perhaps a Bolt or Leaf makes more sense.
Personally, we just took delivery of a Model 3 yesterday; this car is rolling technology.
Good luck.

If you go strictly by price, what other car can you get for $25-7.5K which would be better than Volt? I don't think you have many choices for a car at $17.5K I would treat the ability to drive for x miles using electric as just icing on the cake. Volt is a good looking car. I particularly like it because it has taken some design element from the popular and stylish 3rd generation Acura TL (also TLX) Of all the competing hybrids, it is one of the best looking one.

On the other hand, if this vehicle is not satisfying any specific need, then you could use $17.5K towards a purchase that you want and need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vikas
If you go strictly by price, what other car can you get for $25-7.5K which would be better than Volt? I don't think you have many choices for a car at $17.5K I would treat the ability to drive for x miles using electric as just icing on the cake. Volt is a good looking car. I particularly like it because it has taken some design element from the popular and stylish 3rd generation Acura TL (also TLX) Of all the competing hybrids, it is one of the best looking one.

On the other hand, if this vehicle is not satisfying any specific need, then you could use $17.5K towards a purchase that you want and need.

A Toyota Corolla same money almost and the Corolla isn't stopping production and will give you likely better life and fewer problems.

How much is the Cruise selling for? ( same platform). Sounds like the $25,000 is a great price on the Volt. If the Volt minus the tax break is close to the price of a Cruise it all makes sense to me to get the Volt.
smile.gif

The corolla is utterly uninteresting to me

The coffee cup keeps showing up with my driving style ...‚

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

Yes your mind will keep you busy with a volt or is that dolt. Its going to be an amazing experience trust me.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Cujet

Yes your mind will keep you busy with a volt or is that dolt. Its going to be an amazing experience trust me.

That's what I'm afraid of ...‚

Originally Posted by Kestas
Would the Volt be a maintenance and repair nightmare once it gets old?

There are many high mileage volts running around. One member on the volt forum has half a million miles on his, never needed anything besides wheel bearings and tires.

I love my volt. It requires almost no maintenance at all, just cooling system flushes and that kind of stuff. They hardly ever wear out brake pads due to the regenerative braking from the electric motor.

I find them comfortable. I'm only 5'10 160, however. They aren't the sportiest seats in the world, though. I will say the seat heaters are excellent. Very strong. I also liked that leather and heated seats were separate options, I was very happy to find mine with heated cloth.

It is not a tax break, you are buying a depreciating asset with a tax incentive to buy something people wouldn't normally buy

The $7500 tax break only applies up to your tax liability or $7500 whichever is lower. If you owe say $5000 in taxes you will only see a $5000 reduction on your taxes. If you owe $7500 or more in a year then you would get the full $7500. At least that is the way it was when I acquired my Nissan LEAF in 2014

My Boss owns two Volts. One for him and one for his Wife
I was just talking with him the other day and he was telling me how much he loves them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back