Exhaust recommendation for 2011 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all.

Just like the title says, looking for thoughts on a replacement exhaust for a Subaru hatch. OEM muffler and midpipe is absurdly expensive. I can get the full Walker kit from Rock Auto for less than I can buy the muffler alone from Subaru.

I had considered the borla system, since it looks to be high quality, but I think it's going to be too loud or raspy for a daily driver.

Any thoughts on alternates?

Thanks!

Won't an STI cat-back fit up? I haven't kept track in a while.

Also, this upgrade will only be to add more noise. There's no performance to be gained from a cat-back exhaust.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

Also, this upgrade will only be to add more noise. There's no performance to be gained from a cat-back exhaust.

Well that's not true at all.

If you go with Walker make sure to get the stainless steel muffler. The only thing stainless is the muffler can but regular Walker muffler cans rust Fast! I have used these stainless steel mufflers on a Forester and an Impreza wagon, 3 years on the Impreza and 5 with the Forester, no problems nice and quiet.

If Bosal exhaust is available I like the fit and finish on their products over Walker products. Like mentioned before, the walker non stainless mufflers rot fast, like 12-18 months and junk fast.

I have local shop that can weld up SS parts. But he is slightly east of Albany NY. I would only go with SS or you will be doing it again in a couple of years. The aluminized steel does not compare to SS.

I think that I would have to mess with the bumper cover since thats a dual/quad tip, and I just have the single exit, but honestly Im not sure. Somewhere I think i read that the flanges are rotated on the turbo setup, but that might have been for the midpipe. I also am not looking for any performance gain, since its just my daily commuter. I only thought about Borla since its one of the only aftermarket systems that seems to be out there for the N/A hatch.

Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
If you go with Walker make sure to get the stainless steel muffler. The only thing stainless is the muffler can but regular Walker muffler cans rust Fast! I have used these stainless steel mufflers on a Forester and an Impreza wagon, 3 years on the Impreza and 5 with the Forester, no problems nice and quiet.

Good to know, thank you!

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
If Bosal exhaust is available I like the fit and finish on their products over Walker products. Like mentioned before, the walker non stainless mufflers rot fast, like 12-18 months and junk fast.

I saw that Bosal was an option also from Rock Auto as well as eBay or locally through Napa. Ill price that out as well. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Straight pipes and spark plug anti-foulers!

The way the engine is set up I would keep the cat anyway, so no sense in going anti-foulers on this one. And a straight pipe is gonna be too loud for me. Maybe when I can afford a car thats really a big toy...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Donald
I have local shop that can weld up SS parts. But he is slightly east of Albany NY. I would only go with SS or you will be doing it again in a couple of years. The aluminized steel does not compare to SS.

Any chance you can send me the info on that shop? I live North and East of Albany, so it might not be too far of a haul for me...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Which part. Care to elaborate???

That an STI cat back will fit - it won't.

That you can't or won't gain performance from an exhaust - you can and usually will.

Subaru for that era of Impreza/Forester used faux dual exhaust - the STI stuff won't fit. Even though the OEM parts are $$$, Walker is junk and needs to be welded up. And even so, the OEM pieces will have less restriction and have mandrel-bent tubes vs. the externally-bent Walker ones. The insides of a Walker tend to blow out. If you must go with Walker, get the stainless steel universal ones and have a muffler shop weld them in.

EJ motors sound good with an Borla or Invidia exhaust - but that's all personal preference.

I think I'll look at Bosal. Not sure lot of good stuff said here about the Walker system.

I guess I'll have to see if I can find someone local with a Borla to hear in person. I found a few videos online, but they sound pretty raspy. Then again it's probably a mic from a cell phone.... And my speakers aren't the best....

That you can't or won't gain performance from an exhaust - you can and usually will.

Nope.

Turbo-back with a higher-flow cat on a turbo Subie, sure. A larger, louder mid-pipe and mufflers? Nope!

Without a tune - double nope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back