How to Change the Oil in a C7 Corvette Dry Sump Z51 & Grand Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are going to find the mechanical torquing of an oil filter a little ridiculous, but loosening of a shrouded filter is a real problem. Seen it most often on Vortec V6 engines. The shrouding not allowing for a good grip when tightening the filter down. Lot of techs just say "good enough" and walk away. Engine death to follow.

I just tighten everything down to snug. Never torqued a drain plug and definitely not oil filter.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Some people are going to find the mechanical torquing of an oil filter a little ridiculous, but loosening of a shrouded filter is a real problem. Seen it most often on Vortec V6 engines. The shrouding not allowing for a good grip when tightening the filter down. Lot of techs just say "good enough" and walk away. Engine death to follow.

The shrouding around the filter isn't a problem if you use a filter socket...it just slips over the end of the filter...

Yes, that is correct. I was referring to texts who hand tighten the filter insufficiently and end up loosening as a result. A torque wrench is hardly necessary, but using a mechanical method (cap and ratchet) is enough.

Wait, there isn't a separate drain for the oil tank or the sump drains take care of that?

And I would think a Z51 would take more than 5 quarts of oil...

Originally Posted by nthach
Wait, there isn't a separate drain for the oil tank or the sump drains take care of that?

And I would think a Z51 would take more than 5 quarts of oil...

Looks like one plug drains the tank and the other the sump.

He poured in 9.5 quarts.

Ah, that makes sense. I was expecting something like that exotic place hacking up the OCI for an Bugatti, and something like this:

It's more fun to do a proper oil service on a 996/997 Turbo.

Oil tank, oil sump, and both turbos need drained.

Or a 993, which has two oil filters.

The 2005-6 Ford GTs are pretty cool to do a service on. They have a huge 2 piece undercover with 25 or so bolts that are supposed to be removed and reinstalled in a certain sequence.

The new Ford GT has different procedures for if there is debris in the oil or not. If there is you have to clean the coolers. Fortunately we won't have to ever deal with them since we did not sign up to be a servicing dealer for the new GT.

Originally Posted by nthach
Ah, that makes sense. I was expecting something like that exotic place hacking up the OCI for an Bugatti, and something like this:

Jeeeeez, that's an all day affair.

Originally Posted by wemay
nthach said:

Jeeeeez, that's an all day affair.

I guess that's not a $19.99 oil change special
crackmeup2.gif
. I wonder what Lexus dealers charge for that service since it appears to have been multiple technicians and a service manager present at all times. And it took a while to do it looks like. If you can afford the vehicle then you should be able to afford the proper service. I'd like to see some cheap skate take that to Jiffy Lube, it would make a great you tube
lol.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back