Advisory on Roku TV's

Status
Not open for further replies.
As owner of a TCL brand 4K HDR "Roku TV", I have come to learn and also experience that Roku apparently does not know how to code a stable software update.

I wasn't sure if I was losing my mind or if my TCL 55S405 really was over driving color saturation and contrast or appearances until I took a trip over to the Roku forum and discovered that after the last software update, others were reporting problems too up to and including over driven contrast and for those who have the upline models with Dolby Vision, that the update broke their Dolby Vision HDR as well.

So it got me to thinking. Why the feck do we have to live with "software updates" for every single dog gone thing we own any more ? I suppose it would be okay if aforementioned software updates could be relied upon to be coded correctly and properly tested at the alpha level before it ever even leaves the developer's hands.

I suspect it might be an attempt (gone wrong) at improving the brightness of the tv since the main criticism the TCL line takes in reviews is for being slightly lacking in the brightness dept.

This is unfortunate. In an attempt to fix one thing, they often break another. Everyone is being rushed to push out the updates to either keep up with technology or to address security holes, and not enough QA is being done. This is the life we live in these days, not specific to Roku.

I've got a Plex app on my standalone Roku that I use to play home videos. After one of the updates earlier this year, my 1080p 60 fps videos no longer play smoothly, and at this point I can't even tell if it was a Plex update or a Roku update that broke it because these things get updated rather often. Still unresolved.
frown.gif

I have a 49S405. Thankfully I unplugged it a few weeks after I bought it due to the offensive adds they displayed. Well, not that offensive really, just annoying/offensive enough to unplug it from the ethernet. Glad I did now. That solved the problem for me. No new adds just a few old movie adds that display rather than getting new ones on my internet. Also no software updates. Guess I can plug it back in when/if I have a problem later.

You'll have to chat with marketing about that.
They're the ones doing it. SW engineers don't want to ship. But, first one to market almost always has an advantage and keeps it.
The loser companies get killed off, and this is what remains.

Beats the heck out of renting a Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) 25 year old technology cable box, which is used when you get it, and costs each month in rent about 1/10 what a Roku costs.

The TCL S405 series tends to get dinged in ratings and reviews for not being bright enough. I think they've tried to tweak the nit's through some trickery and software slight of hand that is causing the picture to have the over driven too contrasty look now.

Ok, sorry to hear of your troubles but for what it is worth, you made me feel good.

I was seriously considering a 65 inch TCL 65R617 but was getting a little turned off by what seems certain to be production quality control. Meaning, picture is supposed to be fantastic but some LED panels have documented issues with banding ect. I had no idea that on top of that the Roku would give you trouble too, and ads too?

and .. even though Roku TV is praised on this set, I thought to myself, what the h_ll would I buy a TV based on having Roku which cost $29.

So I ended up buying (and spending) a good deal more money for a 65 inch Sony X900F stellar reviews and picture quality and more consistent quality control it seems, wife didnt want to chance it, we are picky about sound and picture quality and did not want a issue with the TV. So feel good I spent what I did now.

It drives me nuts that the "PRESS" reviews TVs based on Roku or Google Apps ect. Who the [censored] cares what apps? All this garbage apps cost less then $50 in a separate device that you can plug into the TV, why get stuck with an operating system on the TV? Its like you almost dont own your TV anymore! GEEZ!!!! THe buying public just bends over and takes it ... well you know where.

So when I hooked up my Sony I already know, some reviews complained about the Android apps, I didnt bother setting up the TV with Wifi, I DIDNT NOT WANT MY TV IN ANYWAY TIED TO GOOGLE OR ANDROID (scr_w them, freaking google invading everyones lives.) took minutes and I was done.
Once done, later on I connected the TV to see if any firmware update, none, so I then disconnected the TV from the wifi.
We have a Channel Master DVR with OTA, Blu Ray player and Roku player plugged into the back.

My god, we are spending hundreds, if not thousands on a TV and the stupid press is praising apps that come with the TV and the people buying them (almost me too) do not realize, they dont even own the set anymore, google or roku control it! Of course, like I did, no way, I did not allow it and thank you for posting, hope you have things better now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bobdoo
I think you're confusing 'roku' and 'tcl'. i believe it's tcl that changed the picture settings.

Good point but Loneranger didnt exactly spell out if it was a Roku update or TCL. I assumed it was a Roku update only because he went to the "Roku Forums"
But I suspect you maybe right, either way, Im glad I avoided TCL now, so far anyway.

This was his post I was relying on.
" ...until I took a trip over to the Roku forum and discovered that after the last software update, others were reporting problems too up to and including over driven contrast and for those who have the upline models with Dolby Vision, that the update broke their Dolby Vision HDR as well. "

Sorry about the woes.

It's a $350 55" TV with 4K so to be perfect is expecting a ton. Curious as to why skipping Samsung ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Sorry about the woes.

It's a $350 55" TV with 4K so to be perfect is expecting a ton. Curious as to why skipping Samsung ?

Being I just bought a 65 inch Sony x900F I can answer for the OP, maybe.

TCL is getting HIGH marks in picture quality from all over in the press. I was tempted by TCL's $1000 65 inch as the reviews are glowing saying picture quality is the same and better then sets costing up to double the price and more including that of Samsung, LG, Sony ect. Even praising Roku TV control of the TCL

That is a pretty darn tempting deal. The 1K model was selling so fast places like even Amazon could not keep them in stock. Samsung is just a name and the lower priced TVs are turned out in the same Chinese factories not owned by Samsung.

However I was turned off by one glaring issue. There is a documented "issue" with consistency of the panels themselves. Even though much of the public doesnt notice, some do, some sets are affected more then others, seems like in a white screen or a menu screen you can see banding on SOME of the panels though not noticeable when actually watching a show/movie.

It was this issue that convinced my wife and I to buy the Sony even though it cost us $1,600. on"sale" (better said recent price cut) plus tax we look at our TV as entertainment expense and worth it to us, as long as it gives a dependable life..
Anyway I am shocked at the almost 3 dimensional picture of the Sony with ANY source not just 4 K, totally amazing, actually still waiting to try the 4K and the TCL is supposed to be as good, IF you dont get one of those panels that band but even then you will not notice on most program material.

With all the above said, I am now glad I dont have integrated Roku with the TCL, we have 4 Roku players in the house, I do not buy a TV because it has a $50 and less player built in, much like I did not buy the Sony for the Android system/google apps.

In fact, I by passed setting up the SONY and did NOT connect it to my WiFi on purpose!
I do NOT buy TVs to have manufacturers add their crap to it.
Any source I want connected to my TV I will buy, I spent 1.6k on the TV, I will not allow google or any app to control and track what I do with it, any source I want connected to it I will buy and be able to remove at any time, for goodness sakes, the cost for these devices are less then a night out at the movies.

SMART TVs are a sales tactic to the general public that the TV makers make money on! It doesnt cost them anything, the streaming services are fighting to get manufacturers to include their product on the TVs for market share.
Why the heck would someone want one? I do agree, TVs come with them, for me, I do not allow it to be connected. I buy and connect my own devices which Roku players rock, we ahve used them for YEARS now and again, since I buy my own, I can always have the latest Hardware from my Roku player by buying the newest model for our main TV,.

Last edited:
I use Roku on my tv`s , but I would not buy a tv just to have it already installed. Get the tv you need and ad the Roku when you get it home.

Not a big fan of Roku. We have had two Roku units brick themselves during updates, and my current one, a Roku 3, keeps rebooting during Hulu Live. So they can't get the app correct. Hulu Live works perfectly with my FireStick.

I don't think it matters where something is made however the culture of the company actually producing an item.

I have found china based companies to be so sub par like TP-Link, HCL 32" in my own case with in terms of supporting the product once sold. I have given up on Thinkpad once superior machines because Lenovo slowly has cheapened them down. Also the support level and turn around seriously degraded since their acquisition from IBM. They feel a week of a machine out is acceptable and would not even send a loaner 6 weeks into warranty. No until I complained a tad to a friend working there did they next overnight a new machine to me no questions asked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Not a big fan of Roku. We have had two Roku units brick themselves during updates, and my current one, a Roku 3, keeps rebooting during Hulu Live. So they can't get the app correct. Hulu Live works perfectly with my FireStick.

Im not being a smart a__ but something is wrong in your house. :eek:) 2 Roku brick themselves? a 3rd one rebooting ?
Ummm ... something wrong in your house.

Never had an issue with one, still dont, weve been using them since before most people knew the Roku word, have had Roku players in our home for 8 or more years ago, I think since around 2009.
Most dependable wi-fi device I ever owned and HIGHLY recommend them.

4 currently in our home including now, a new 4K model, daughter has one in her home and also used one of our older ones throughout her college years. But not only that, it wouldnt be one of the top rated players in the USA.

Last edited:
Just wondering Alarmguy if the new 4K model is worth buying to replace another Roku on a TV that is older? Like I posted earlier I have Roku`s on my older 42" Panasonic Plasma and a bedroom 32 inch TCL Tv .

Originally Posted by Jimkobb
Just wondering Alarmguy if the new 4K model is worth buying to replace another Roku on a TV that is older? Like I posted earlier I have Roku`s on my older 42" Panasonic Plasma and a bedroom 32 inch TCL Tv .

Hey Jim,

Hmmm ..

Well, here it goes ... (ill try to keep it short *L*)
You do not mention if your 32 injch is 4k or not, I assume it is.

Anyway, I doubt you will see any difference in picture quality on the Pani or TCL using a 4k Roku. The Pani isnt 4k and even if the TCL is, I would think 32 inch would be hard to see a difference.(we owned a Pani Plasma too, right up until 2 years ago, great set for its day, hated to see Pani lose the market, I liked their stuff. Sister still has the one you do. We still own the Pani Bluray from 2009 ROCK SOLID all these years(?) too, but about to be replaced/read below.

Talking to my wife last night, I think quite possibly we have owned EVERY generation of Roku players since 2009 (approx) I always choose to own the separate plug in model, I dont like the "stick" just my preference.
I think it is fair to say I never saw a difference in picture quality, except of course with the new Roku 4k on a 4k tv.

The biggest change we always saw with every Roku upgrade was faster processor power, meaning clicking through and loading up movies ect. The newer units were far more "snappy".

With that said, since 2009 our internet speed, in small steps of every year to couple years has increased from 5 MBPS to now 100 MBPS. This will also speed up load times, never any buffering, never had much even with the slower internet speeds. However I do think if streaming 4K you should have at least 30 MBPS.

AS far as the image of the new 4k Roku with our new 4K Sony x900f. Wow, we are blown away. It really cant get much better. We have yet to stream a 4 k movie, in fact just hooked up all new HDMI cables last night, the ones we were using couldnt not get a full 4K signal to the TV in HDR.

Maybe tonight, think my wife is planning on streaming a 4 K movie and we have yet to hook up the new Sony 4k Blu ray I also bought for my wife, maybe today too.
The biggest enjoyment of the new Sony TV is the up converting to 4k. Amazing picture, more so with over the air TV as we also have an attic antenna that feeds all 5 TVs in the house and the quality of the image is stunning at times, almost looks like the crisp image of a video game, 3 D like.

Very happy, my wife is into this stuff of the perfect picture and sound and I am into the equipment that does it, so it works out for us well. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Jimkobb

Hey Jim,

Hmmm ..

Well, here it goes ... (ill try to keep it short *L*)
You do not mention if your 32 injch is 4k or not, I assume it is.

The latest 32" TCL TV's I've seen are only 720 HD. I could see each individual pixel from up to 6' away. After watching a TV with 4k resolution capability, it was like watching through a window screen. Very annoying to me, but it will depend on the individual.

No, my 32" Tv is not a 4K set. I was just wondering if those newest Roku devices had other features that my current Roku`s lack. The Roku on my older 42" Panasonic Plasma is an older model Roku that sets on the table top . The Roku on my TCL 32" is not very pld and it is one of the plug in to the back of the TV type. Both seem to work pretty good . One thing that I noticed last night was On ESPN on the Sling network the football game was kinda blurry and a little nasty looking. Every other sighting on the ESPN was fine. I don`t know what that was all about. That is the only issue I`ve had with my Roku . It was just on the older Roku on the 42" Panasonic Plasma . I went to the bedroom later and turned on ESPN for a game on the 32" TCL TV that has the newer Roku stick and did not notice any bad picture results.j

Yeah, cant really answer your questions. Features? Other then speech search and headphone jacks everything else it just content.
I do firmly believe, like any cell phone or computer the latest versions always do everything a little faster and better.

AS far as Sling, well, I wouldnt blame Roku if Sling was having issues. Roku is just the receiver. Its funny that you mention Sling, we did the free trial thing some years ago when it was staill kinf of new, same deal, watching a football game on ESPN and picture at times was "nasty" looking, other times it was just fine. I blame Sling OR at the time, my internet connection speed. Not Roku as I never had the issue with any other channel. Sure its possible newer versions, like, again, anything, have a more stable connection with your router ect. But like anything, who knows.

All we use is the set top Roku boxes, the newest 4k one actually even has a slot for a memory card in order to store even more channels, the heck with that, I have way to many channels as it is!

Alarmguy, Sling is my only pay channel. And it has just a few channels on it that I watch. I did have Direct TV and dropped that so I am saving some money. Most of my TV watching is over the antenna local stations.That said I work second shift and don`t watch a huge amount of TV. That said , my current bike is a 17 Kawasaki 650 Versys LT. It replaced my Road Star , which replaced my Vstar 1300. Quite different ,but I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back