Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ur concerned about CAFE oil specs? Why? 0w16 is barely different from 0w20 and 0w20 been in use many years. Ive used 0w20 the majority of time in mine..my car still running strong. Just got an Oil analysis back that shows excellent results on a 10,000km run on 0w20...could of went longer on it. Thats also using a 3$ napa proselect filter...im at 162k miles now and engine consumes nothing noticeable, trans still shifts smooth. Id stick with a NA engine, and conventional 6 or 8 speed transmission over CVT. That said, I am bias to Toyota, id choose Toyota over the others. I think you could probably get 200k on most of them, only difference might end up being cost of repairs til u get there.

This is a funny thread. In the future we will all be driving electric cars.....and all cars will be able to go 300k. But the roads will be clogged and it will be easier multipurpose transportation. We won't be driving much.

Originally Posted by oliveoil
This is a funny thread. In the future we will all be driving electric cars.....and all cars will be able to go 300k. But the roads will be clogged and it will be easier multipurpose transportation. We won't be driving much.

Will they go 300k? That's an assumption. Electric motors do burn out. Bearings still wear out. Lots of things can go wrong

What a plethera of opinions. To Imp4, you are obiously an FCA hater. I am longtime Chrysler , now FCA user. I have not had a bad experience with a Chrysler/FCA product in 45 years. Yes there have been several issues like you get with ALL vehicles but nothing to get excited about. I have never had an oil burner. Can't remember the last time I added a qt of oil between changes. Never had a transmission issue. I maintain my vehicles which is the key to long life. In recent years we had a 98 4.0 Grand Cherokee, drove it 198k miles. Bought used with 36k. Replaced an evap core at 150k, and a rear wheel bearing at 175k.. 07 3.5 Charger, bought new. Did 145k reliable miles with NO repairs other than normal maintenance. Traded for a 14 3.6 Charger bought with 16k that I drove 85k repair free before trading for a new 18 3.6 300 in April. My wife currently drives a 13 3.6 Durango, bought new that turned 100k last week and still has the OE brake pads and spark plugs. All fluids, tranny, coolant, diff and brake fluid were replaced at 70k. Other than several recalls, no repairs. All you haters can make fools of yourself slinging mud, but my experiences are real world.

I think majority of cars are 200k capable without serious repairs. The 200k - 300k is quite variable and brand irrelevant all require some upkeep and minor/major repair or tolerance. Obviously maintenance helps along the way however luck is also large factor.

Last edited:
If you want to roll the dice on CAFE 0/16 or 20 be my guest...when 5/30-5/40 doesn't cost any more why? if I were forced to run it I'd trust a Toyota spec over these other sub-prime jokers hands down.

D
Originally Posted by dblshock
If you want to roll the dice on CAFE 0/16 or 20 be my guest...when 5/30-5/40 doesn't cost any more why? if I were forced to run it I'd trust a Toyota spec over these other sub-prime jokers hands down.

So you would run 0w16 in a new Camry? That's what you're saying.

Originally Posted by KrisZ

It's called herd mentality. For the favorite brand any and all negatives are downplayed and quickly forgotten, on the other hand, the opposite can be observed for the disliked brands. Even small problems are regurgitated at every opportunity and things from 70s are still remembered and repeated even if it was third or fourth hand experience.

That's simply the BITOG way...

It's true; a well maintained Subaru is one of the few new cars where it's not totally unexpected for an engine failure to take it off the road for the original purchaser. Not likely, but not unheard of. Still a perfectly reasonable service life overall.

Even a high-mileage driver can take a decent car a couple of years past a 7 year note, which is reasonable.

Used 4x2 sedans are attractively priced right now, but for someone who drives the wheels off, it doesn't matter that much.

Originally Posted by PimTac
D
Originally Posted by dblshock

So you would run 0w16 in a new Camry? That's what you're saying.

that's not what I said, please reread the sentence.

You want the most reliable vehicle? Chevy/GMC 2500 with the 6.0 gas engine.

You said you want a sedan. I'd say Ford Fusion with the 2.5 or a Camry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by tony1679
Wasn't in your list of options, but so far I'm in love with my '16 Elantra 1.8L. Pretty much the most old school tech under the hood (and the inside) you can buy in 2016. And I've never been a Hyundai fan. Boy was I wrong.

My list was no CVT, no DI, no electric steering, no lane assist, no auto stop, no start-stop... you get it. Old school. No puppymonkeybaby b.s.

I only compromised on the electric steering.

You want a carburetor with that.......
I'll admit I'm stuck in ~2008. No, I'm not old. I'm not even 30. But all this new tech is just 1000% unnecessary, and does nothing but drive up the cost of vehicles. It's often more problematic than helpful. Yet we wonder why the industry is in the toilet. They can't give new cars away, and every used car is selling as if there's a hundred gold bars in the trunk. It's a pretty clear indication that I'm not the only one with this mentality.

Originally Posted by CKN
Wasn't in your list of options, but so far I'm in love with my '16 Elantra 1.8L. Pretty much the most old school tech under the hood (and the inside) you can buy in 2016. And I've never been a Hyundai fan. Boy was I wrong.

My list was no CVT, no DI, no electric steering, no lane assist, no auto stop, no start-stop... you get it. Old school. No puppymonkeybaby b.s.

I'll admit I'm stuck in ~2008. No, I'm not old. I'm not even 30. But all this new tech is just 1000% unnecessary, and does nothing but drive up the cost of vehicles. It's often more problematic than helpful. Yet we wonder why the industry is in the toilet. They can't give new cars away, and every used car is selling as if there's a hundred gold bars in the trunk. It's a pretty clear indication that I'm not the only one with this mentality.

I agree 100%. However I'm trying to play the hand I've dealt as smartly as possible here. All the unneeded 'stuff' they are cramming these cars with is never going away and will only get worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JNG

I agree 100%. However I'm trying to play the hand I've dealt as smartly as possible here. All the unneeded 'stuff' they are cramming these cars with is never going away and will only get worse.
It only sticks around if people choose to buy them. No demand, no supply. Speak with your wallet. One crazy fool on the internet (me) won't make a difference. If people wise up by spreading ideas to others, and several thousand or more do this, it hurts much more.

If I wanted a sedan to last a million miles, I'd want something with some comfort, rear wheel drive, with a V8. Since most of those are gone, and people in this thread seem to favor 55HP 4 cylinders that take 3 minutes to reach 60, but deliver 93mpg, none of them would agree with my opinion. For a commuter, I'd buy a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis in a second. The 4.6L is indestructible and they can take an unbelievable amount of abuse, for a lot of miles. They also can deliver 22-22-25mpg. Rear wheel drive, body on frame, V8's are a thing of the past. There are PLENTY of high mileage Crown Vics with 300k running around on original internals, because with maintenance, they last forever, but like anything, the car falls apart around it.

Mid 90's GM Caprices/Impalas are right up there too for indestructible power plants. The GM 5.7L has got to be right up there with the Ford Modular V8s 4.6, 5.4L in terms of reliability and durability, just like the 3.8 V6s. It just seems no one here cares much for American made cars and favor the almighty Toyota. Personally, I'd rather be driving a 2010-2011 Crown Vic than a Toyota any day.

I've also been driving Chrysler products and never, ever had a problem with any of their V8 cars or trucks.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Why, why buy new? Are you independently wealthy? Why take the hit on the depreciation ...

Fly out to LA, go CL shopping for a nice used Fusion (about a bazzillion prolly available), get it serviced at a Ford dealer on Monday and drive it home. Since there are no rust issues, as long as it was not a beach car, it'll last back there for the same amount of time as a new car and cost 1/3.

You'all have plenty used engines and tranny's to keep it going. You just need an affordable chassis with no rust holes. We generate those by the bushel.

I can't see why we are not "exporting" rust free older cars to the mid-west to run the EOL cycle in the rust belt ...

He plans on keeping the car for 300,000 miles.

Your depreciation concern is irrelevant to his situation.

"I'll admit I'm stuck in ~2008. No, I'm not old. I'm not even 30. But all this new tech is just 1000% unnecessary, and does nothing but drive up the cost of vehicles. It's often more problematic than helpful. Yet we wonder why the industry is in the toilet. They can't give new cars away, and every used car is selling as if there's a hundred gold bars in the trunk. It's a pretty clear indication that I'm not the only one with this mentality.y."

This must be a Oklahoma thing. The car industry is not in the toilet, only a few select brands. New cars are selling at a pretty good clip from what I see on the roads.

I'm much older than you and I appreciate much of the modern technology in today's vehicles. I would not want to go back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Right there. If you're buying and keeping it long term the obsolete tech will side line the car before those basic systems are ready to give up the ghost. They're great for lessees who wash rinse and repeat every three years, but not for a long term, 300,000 mile/20 year intender.

Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back