Are there any new sedans capable of 300k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by VNTS
Originally Posted by Traffic242
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by PimTac

I'm much older than you and I appreciate much of the modern technology in today's vehicles. I would not want to go back.

I'm 61, and while I don't like each and every bit of new technology fitted to today's vehicles, I do realize that some of them actually make a vehicle better.

If technology such as DI and an 8 speed automatic can give me a car that runs the quarter in the high twelves AND returns over 25 mpg in daily driving, then I'm all for it....

That is possible!

This is from my '16 Challenger on a short 6 hour road trip down to Key West, with a tick over 3000 miles on the odometer. And variable valve timing doesn't even engage until 3750 miles, during the engine break in process.

~500HP, a 12 flat in the quarter, and great mileage!

Dont let them in on the secret, I am avg over 25 on my 17 SRT.

To the OP, go test drive a AWD Charger or 300 with 3.6 and 8HP50, N-S engine with an excellent transmission, 30 mpg on highway and comfortable, well sorted out car.

I would look into any non transverse engine layouts, rule out all the FWD stuff, get a better transmission that way.

Can confirm. I have the v6 300 S with the "sport tuned" suspension, but not the full blown sport suspension. It is so comfortable so matter how rough the road gets no matter the speed, even on 20's. I can only imagine how softer suspension is!

I haven't driven one of the newer ones with the newer v6, my 2016 is the 1st gen pentastar v6. No stop start on mine, but the Pentastar Upgrade got that along with variable valve lift in addition to "upgraded" VVT with a bit more torque under 3,000rpm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by miden851
my Mazda6 would crack 300K miles without a major overhaul as is I'd bet

The Mazda6 would have been included on my list of recommendations, along with the 2.5L Fusion, except that the OP has reservations about the reliability/durability of the 6F35 automatic transmission. I would have recommended both of them without reservation if they still used Aisin automatic transmissions. Eliminating both of those cars left only one logical choice IMO, the Camry. Also, the Camry gets notably better fuel mileage than either of them (or anything else in it's class), approaching or exceeding the fuel mileage of many smaller cars. I have heard reports that some people are getting over 40 mpg on the highway, VERY impressive for a non-hybrid mid size car! It also gets excellent city mileage without having the annoying stop-start technology.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Isn't the new 8 speed used some new Toyota models, including Camry, Toyota generating quite a lot of shift problems and complaints?

Don't know if it's a lot but I have heard reports here and there. The new 2019 Rav4s are out. I saw one yesterday. Want my wife to wait until the spring when the hybrids with CVT transmissions are due out. Ain't that a kicker. Wanting a CVT over an 8-speed.

Originally Posted by wag123

The Mazda6 would have been included on my list of recommendations, along with the 2.5L Fusion, except that the OP has reservations about the reliability/durability of the 6F35 automatic transmission. I would have recommended both of them without reservation if they still used Aisin automatic transmissions. Eliminating both of those cars left only one logical choice IMO, the Camry. Also, the Camry gets notably better fuel mileage than either of them (or anything else in it's class), approaching or exceeding the fuel mileage of many smaller cars. I have heard reports that some people are getting over 40 mpg on the highway, VERY impressive for a non-hybrid mid size car! It also gets excellent city mileage without having the annoying stop-start technology.

I agree, everything that Toyota does a stellar reputation for the most part

in my Mazda6, I'm not sure what is a code name for its transmission
confused2.gif
it is the one with 5 speed, perhaps FNR5; but they both are paired very well from the get go so I could not tell you which part of the drivetrain is more solid, its transmission or its engine

Isn't the new 8 speed used some new Toyota models, including Camry, Toyota generating quite a lot of shift problems and complaints?

Some people on the interwebs say that but not sure if it's a widespread problem. There are a lot of those vehicles running around.

Originally Posted by Leo99
The new 2019 Rav4s are out. I saw one yesterday. Want my wife to wait until the spring when the hybrids with CVT transmissions are due out. Ain't that a kicker. Wanting a CVT over an 8-speed.

Toyota hybrid CVT is as bulletproof as any transmission can get. It operates on totally different principles than traditional belt/chain/pulley CVTs, although it feels exactly the same as any other CVT when driving. In this particular case, going hybrid with CVT over the new 8 speed trany is a huge plus.

Last edited:

I agree, everything that Toyota does a stellar reputation for the most part

in my Mazda6, I'm not sure what is a code name for its transmission
confused2.gif
it is the one with 5 speed, perhaps FNR5; but they both are paired very well from the get go so I could not tell you which part of the drivetrain is more solid, its transmission or its engine

The 5-speed automatic in your 2008 should be a FS5A-EL which is virtually identical to the Ford FNR5 used in earlier Fusions. If so, it should say to use Mazda M-V (aka M5) transmission fluid on the dipstick. This is an Aisin transmission. It is VERY important to use the correct transmission fluid in this transmission, it is JWS3309 spec ATF and is the same as Toyota T-IV ATF.

No, not on the 4-cyl version. Toyota had problems with the early production V/6 version of the Aisin 8-speed automatic, and primarily on AWD equipped vehicles. The problems were confined to production prior to December 2017 and have been rectified. Shifting complaints were addressed in an April 2018 software/firmware update.

The 5-speed automatic in your 2008 should be a FS5A-EL which is virtually identical to the Ford FNR5 used in earlier Fusions. If so, it should say to use Mazda M-V (aka M5) transmission fluid on the dipstick. This is an Aisin transmission. It is VERY important to use the correct transmission fluid in this transmission, it is JWS3309 spec ATF and is the same as Toyota T-IV ATF.

I thank you for the information! Yes you're so right, it says MV on the dipstick; In the beginning, I had a lots of problems of finding appropriate aftermarket transmission fluid for it but I've used Mobil1 ATF, Castrol ATF since and lately RedLine D4 without issues.

Also, are you suggesting that Toyota T-IV Fluid is interchangeable with Mazda MV?

Originally Posted by PimTac

Some people on the interwebs say that but not sure if it's a widespread problem. There are a lot of those vehicles running around.

My friend had issue on 2018 Highlander. Aisin 8 speed is widely used tranny, but problems are confined to Toyota. VW uses them, BMW uses them on their "fake" BMW's (and that is arguably best version of Aisin 8 speed, by far). It is not only that those have issues, but Toyota treated customers like crap throughout that process. Whether they fixed issues is not settled as many customers after update still have jerky shifting. I purposely did not want to get Sienna 2017 and after with 8 speed and that new V6 which in real world feels less powerful than 2GR-FE, although it pack 30 more hp and 20lb-ft.

Also, are you suggesting that Toyota T-IV Fluid is interchangeable with Mazda MV?

Yes. Both of them are JWS3309 spec transmission fluids manufactured by Mobil, and there are several other auto manufacturers that also offer this ATF under their own part numbers for their Aisin transmission equipped vehicles.

If I wanted a sedan to last a million miles, I'd want something with some comfort, rear wheel drive, with a V8. Since most of those are gone, and people in this thread seem to favor 55HP 4 cylinders that take 3 minutes to reach 60, but deliver 93mpg, none of them would agree with my opinion. For a commuter, I'd buy a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis in a second. The 4.6L is indestructible and they can take an unbelievable amount of abuse, for a lot of miles. They also can deliver 22-22-25mpg. Rear wheel drive, body on frame, V8's are a thing of the past. There are PLENTY of high mileage Crown Vics with 300k running around on original internals, because with maintenance, they last forever, but like anything, the car falls apart around it.

Mid 90's GM Caprices/Impalas are right up there too for indestructible power plants. The GM 5.7L has got to be right up there with the Ford Modular V8s 4.6, 5.4L in terms of reliability and durability, just like the 3.8 V6s. It just seems no one here cares much for American made cars and favor the almighty Toyota. Personally, I'd rather be driving a 2010-2011 Crown Vic than a Toyota any day.

I've also been driving Chrysler products and never, ever had a problem with any of their V8 cars or trucks.

I've had the same experience as you. My commuter is a Y2K Mustang 4.6 and it gets 20-22 mpg driving around town with some highway mixed in. That's not good gas mileage by today's standards, but this car has some decent power when I want to merge onto the dreaded I-95 with traffic bearing down. My 4 cylinder cars I used to have just don't have enough power for around here.

I'd be careful about buying a Mazda. I've now known two people whose Mazdas just up and basically blew up. I think it was something with the valve timing but the engines were junk after that and both had under 100K miles.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
If I wanted a sedan to last a million miles, I'd want something with some comfort, rear wheel drive, with a V8. Since most of those are gone, and people in this thread seem to favor 55HP 4 cylinders that take 3 minutes to reach 60, but deliver 93mpg, none of them would agree with my opinion. For a commuter, I'd buy a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis in a second. The 4.6L is indestructible and they can take an unbelievable amount of abuse, for a lot of miles. They also can deliver 22-22-25mpg. Rear wheel drive, body on frame, V8's are a thing of the past. There are PLENTY of high mileage Crown Vics with 300k running around on original internals, because with maintenance, they last forever, but like anything, the car falls apart around it.

Mid 90's GM Caprices/Impalas are right up there too for indestructible power plants. The GM 5.7L has got to be right up there with the Ford Modular V8s 4.6, 5.4L in terms of reliability and durability, just like the 3.8 V6s. It just seems no one here cares much for American made cars and favor the almighty Toyota. Personally, I'd rather be driving a 2010-2011 Crown Vic than a Toyota any day.

I've also been driving Chrysler products and never, ever had a problem with any of their V8 cars or trucks.

I've had the same experience as you. My commuter is a Y2K Mustang 4.6 and it gets 20-22 mpg driving around town with some highway mixed in. That's not good gas mileage by today's standards, but this car has some decent power when I want to merge onto the dreaded I-95 with traffic bearing down. My 4 cylinder cars I used to have just don't have enough power for around here.

Guys, this thread is about what NEW car the OP wants to buy for his wife to REPLACE a 20 year old car.
The OP is wanting to replace his wife's 1999 Olds 88 3.8L 205hp V/6 FWD which did a 0-60 of 9.1 sec (when it was new) and got 29 mpg on the highway. The 2019 Camry 2.5L 203hp 4-cyl FWD does a 0-60 of 7.6 sec (about the same as a 2008 Crown Vic police interceptor) and gets 39 mpg or better on the highway, a noticeable and worthwhile improvement over what she has been driving for 250k miles. If he wanted to get her a "hot rod" he could opt for the V/6 which will do a 5.8 sec 0-60 (about the same as an unmodified 2000 Mustang GT) and still get 33 mpg or better on the highway.
Also, I want to point out that Camrys are manufactured in the USA with the highest domestic content of any car in it's class. Even though the Toyota Corporation is headquartered in Japan, it is a PUBLIC company that ANYONE can buy stock in. YOU likely own some Toyota stock via your 401k, IRA, and/or mutual fund portfolios. If you do you should be happy, unlike some of the other auto companies, Toyota is (and has been) very successful and consistently profitable (for good reason). Chrysler can't be considered an American car company any longer, it is owned by Fiat who is headquartered in Italy.

Guys, this thread is about what NEW car the OP wants to buy for his wife to REPLACE a 20 year old car.
The OP is wanting to replace his wife's 1999 Olds 88 3.8L 205hp V/6 FWD which did a 0-60 of 9.1 sec (when it was new) and got 29 mpg on the highway. The 2019 Camry 2.5L 203hp 4-cyl FWD does a 0-60 of 7.6 sec (about the same as a 2008 Crown Vic police interceptor) and gets 39 mpg or better on the highway, a noticeable and worthwhile improvement over what she has been driving for 250k miles. If he wanted to get her a "hot rod" he could opt for the V/6 which will do a 5.8 sec 0-60 (about the same as an unmodified 2000 Mustang GT) and still get 33 mpg or better on the highway.
Also, I want to point out that Camrys are manufactured in the USA with the highest domestic content of any car in it's class. Even though the Toyota Corporation is headquartered in Japan, it is a PUBLIC company that ANYONE can buy stock in. YOU likely own some Toyota stock via your 401k, IRA, and/or mutual fund portfolios. If you do you should be happy, unlike some of the other auto companies, Toyota is (and has been) very successful and consistently profitable (for good reason). Chrysler can't be considered an American car company any longer, it is owned by Fiat who is headquartered in Italy.

You mean the answer isn't Crown Vic? LOL.

The Mazda6 would have been included on my list of recommendations, along with the 2.5L Fusion, except that the OP has reservations about the reliability/durability of the 6F35 automatic transmission.

This is a misplaced concern. The 6F35's isses were worked out early on, and a properly maintained 6F35 is perfectly reliable. The trick is regular drain & fills using good fluid.

They wouldn't STILL be using this trans after more than 10 years if it wasn't a good one.

Originally Posted by Leo99

You mean the answer isn't Crown Vic? LOL.

It's good way to judge what's going to last in the future, though. For example, a Dodge Charger with either the 3.6 or 5.7 Hemi will more than likely last that long because they're proven designs. Also, very comfortable to take long commutes/trips in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back