Which car to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove a 2018 Honda Accord 2 litre (252 Hp) Sport 6 speed manual today. It's a very nice sporty car. Would be easy to dismiss ("it's just a Honda") but you should drive one first.

My current 2007 Honda Accord V6, 6 MT (169,000 Km) has been almost bullet proof - had to replace rear brake pads and discs once, and the original (manual) transmission was replaced almost immediately under warranty. Other than the transmission (and every maker makes a mistake one in a while - that's what a warranty is for) it's one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by Dyusik
Originally Posted by laserred96gt
I vote for Lexus.

+1

+2

+8, since I think that's the total now going through all the posts.

If she likes a 2012 335i and wants another sport sedan, I think it's highly unlikely that a FWD platform car will do it for her. That rules out the Accord, Mazda 6, Camry, and ES350. Those are all nice in their own ways but.... holy crap are they not sport sedans the way a 335i is -- even the slightly lame '12-'15 model years.

I'd eliminate the Audi for upkeep reasons.

If she likes her 335i, the Mercedes she should consider isn't the C300; it's the C43. That car is so much better than all the others in the segment by such a margin that you almost feel bad for them. The only argument for them is that they're cheaper. And to be fair, some of them are a LOT cheaper -- though I wouldn't say they're more bang for the buck.

A family member of mine was in basically the same situation. She was looking at cars like this and ended up with a Q50 3.0t. I still think she should have gone for the C43, but I can see why she picked the Q50; it was like 3/5ths the price, and it's not a bad car.

The Lexus IS should be worth considering for sure, as is the Genesis G70. Doesn't the Genesis have the longest warranty by far? And of course Lexus reliability is pretty much beyond doubt.

But yeah, tell her to drive a C43. It's the daddy. As an overall package, nothing else comes close.

Originally Posted by The Critic
In this order:

IS350
Accord 2.0T
C300

The Camry is not really in the same league. But the new ES350 (the one that just came out) is fairly nice.

There is not a chance that I would consider the Audi or Infiniti. Both of which are fairly poor long-term prospects for cost of ownership.

+1.

Lexus GS should also be in consideration.

Genesis and Lexus would be the best choices
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jrcowboys
Cars she is considering: Lexus IS350

Stop right here, that's what I would get

Lexus is a wonderful car.
Of course Accords and Camrys are a lotta car for the money.
Resale is strong.

I bought a 2013 GS350 F Sport with almost 60K miles, Certified, from Putnam in Redwood City, CA, earlier this year.
About $25K out the door with new CA registration and sales tax. Beautiful car.
They did brakes and tires before I picked it up.
Putman just did the 60K service ($900) for free.
You can spend less, I'm sure.

IS is smaller, of course.
If she is used to a 3 series, it is fine.

The problem with Genesis is finding a dealership that is close. That is a problem in some areas.

I would say Lexus. They now have 10k oil change interval. She is busy. Lexus dealerships seem to be nice which seems to be a priority for her.

When I worked for a law firm, lots of lawyers drove Mercedes.

Anyway, here's one vote for Mercedes. The C used to be pretty bare bones, but they have a lot of options on them now as they have newer models like the CLA which are now base models. You can also get an extended MB warranty on them for 7/75 or 7/100k from the dealer (although if you buy one online, it's about 1-2k cheaper depending on the markup from the dealer). Dealership experience is probably better than your basic Mazda, Toyota or Honda.

Infinity,Lexus,or Accord. She needs to drive all three and see which one she likes the best. A good dealership will let her keep each over the weekend,that's what I always do.

suggest 1-2 yr old, low mile, cpo: avoid depreciation hit and add longer warranty.

also, a bit tight for me, but suggest a buick regal. i sat in a new one at a recent auto show, very nice, "not your grampa's buick" for sure.

Has she driven any of these or are they under consideration prior to actually looking at them and driving.

Is BMW out of consideration at all, because they make real good sport sedans...

Alfa?

If she is used to BMW service and driving dynamics, I'd find it surprising for Honda/Mazda/Toyota/Nissan service and driving dynamics to meet her expectations...

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Alfa?
Sounds like she is looking for something reliable. Alfa is a bit of an unknown at this point, IMO.

Originally Posted by jrcowboys
Guys:

(currently has 2012 BMW 335i)
her current car but it has given a lot of maintenance problems.
Cars she is considering: Lexus IS350, Infiniti Q50, Audi A4, Genesis G70, Mercedes C300.

I wouldn't look at any of those if she's worried about maintaining a six year old 335i.

Friend of mine used to go through cars like mad. His idea of maintenance was to take them to Jiffy Lube when he had to. Rode 'em hard and put 'em away wet. Past choices included Porche, LS1 Trans Am, etc. Had a Camry for a while - it fit his maintenance profile, but was about as much fun to drive as a washing machine.

Seven years ago he bought an Acura all wheel drive sports sedan. Still loves it and has no desire to trade it in.

I would consider an Acura or Lexus sports sedan for someone in your daughter's social and economic class that appreciates driving. They look good, perform well, and outrageous maintenance costs aren't designed into the build like German cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back