2006 Pathfinder Transmission Shudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I have a 2006 Pathfinder with a shudder at around 60 MPH when the tranny up-shifts. (not sure if its the torque converter or the clutch plates) Using the overdrive lock out eliminates the shudder. Also, when the trans is cold and the fluid thick, I get no shudder. I am wondering if I do a pan drop and fill with a Dex/Mercon fluid, if the thicker fluid will help with the shudder?

Also I have some Lubegard red, but plan to use that after the fluid change if I get no positive results.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Make sure coolant hasn't started to mix with the ATF. Those years Pathfinders are notorious for trans cooler failures!!!

Previous owner had that problem 2 years ago. He had it fixed, and he claimed they caught it in time. This issue is likely related to the coolant flooding, but I am going to try all the lower cost fixes before I look at a rebuild. Transmission works well otherwise. I noticed all 4 u-joints have been replaced, so looks like PO was chasing down the problem as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bluestream
Originally Posted by clinebarger
Make sure coolant hasn't started to mix with the ATF. Those years Pathfinders are notorious for trans cooler failures!!!

Previous owner had that problem 2 years ago. He had it fixed, and he claimed they caught it in time. This issue is likely related to the coolant flooding, but I am going to try all the lower cost fixes before I look at a rebuild. Transmission works well otherwise. I noticed all 4 u-joints have been replaced, so looks like PO was chasing down the problem as well.

Well, Coolant does immediate damage to friction materials & the adhesive that bonds them to the steel backing plates. However.....If the unit is still in service 2 years later, A massive amount of coolant wasn't allowed to sit in the unit very long!

A fluid exchange is about all you can do at this point other than a teardown & the Lubegard can't hurt. Good luck!

Shudder/chatter is usually caused by something sticking: accumulator, clutch piston, solenoid ... trans additive has a fair chance of straightening it out.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I'd use two bottles of Lubegard Red in it. It's ok to double-dose it.

I was planning to use 2 bottles id needed. Any reason not to use the Dex/Merc fluid, or should I stick with OEM spec fluid?

Like I said, I want to explore all low cost options before going to rebuild. Actually the way it drives, I can live with it, but would like to eliminate the shudder.

Yes it will. Worked on my 03 Nissan that had issues with shudder and getting into OD. The fluid had sheared down, became too thin at operating temps. Not enough hydraulic pressure. You can find out if its tired sheared fluid with a half bottle of lucas transmission fix. While not a fan of the stabilizer/thickener in motor oil, the transmission fluid thickener is great. Tells you pretty fast if its a thickness issue. I also use this to thicken up Maxlife multi vehicle ATF in my Escalade. Lubegard has a product called dr. Tranny fix. a small 2oz packet of goo you squeeze in. A good test. Recommend you do a full fluid exchange via the oil cooler return line at the radiator. I used dex III and Castrol import. Also, if thickness is an issue lubegard platinum is a better choice over red. I contacted lubegard regarding the differences between red and platinum. They told me platinum is more than just a converter. Its an upgrade to red. Its also thicker.

Originally Posted by Bluestream
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I'd use two bottles of Lubegard Red in it. It's ok to double-dose it.

I was planning to use 2 bottles id needed. Any reason not to use the Dex/Merc fluid, or should I stick with OEM spec fluid?

Like I said, I want to explore all low cost options before going to rebuild. Actually the way it drives, I can live with it, but would like to eliminate the shudder.

How many miles on the vehicle ? What ATF is specified ?

Vehicle has 88K Miles. PO said he took it in to shop 2 years ago, and they did multiple flushes (he said 15??) So the fluid should only be 2 years old, but I dont know which fluid they used. This truck calls for Nissan Matic-J fluid for 05-07 and Nissan Matic-S for 08+. I think the J fluid is semi-synthetic, and the S is synthetic. Some say the S fluid is back-spec'd to replace the J fluid, but who knows?

I think these are all similar to DexVI

Here's some stats for reference.

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

red vs platinum

Platinum High Performance ATF Protectant
Viscosity at 40° C 60 cSt
Viscosity at 100° C 10 cSt
Flashpoint (COC) >400°F
Pour Point -10°F
Viscosity Index 150
Gravity, API 24

Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant (Red)
Viscosity at 40° C 28-34 cSt
Viscosity at 100° C 6-9cSt
Flashpoint (COC) >400°F
Pour Point Viscosity Index >160
Gravity, API 28-31

I dropped the pan tonight and the fluid still has moisture in it. Had a pink hue over the normal red colour. I'm going to flush it with Dex III drive a bit, then later with flush with Valvoline Maxlife. Good news, is this may be what was causing the shudder. Bad news it may have done damage to the clutch plates being in for so
long. I'll let you all know as soon as I can do the flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back