Question regarding coming to a stop at stop signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run into this at times, the person in front of me is so far past the line when they stop, I'm already at the line before they start to leave the intersection. If it is my turn to go, I just go, I don't inch up or anything and stop again, even if I'm tempted to out of habit (as you usually have to move up to the line so that is what is normal).

Originally Posted by JTK
Perhaps it varies by area, but at 4-way stops, you to yield to the vehicle to your right.

In Canada, we take turns at a 4 way stop.

I've been rear ended at a stop sign. The offending cab driver said, "I didn't know you were going to stop." Enough said.

Dash cams are wonderful things.

The right thing to do is to delay your departure from the stop sign for a couple of seconds.

If you go at the same time as the car in front (who is in the intersection) you probably have not broken any laws. However, to an officer, it may look like you've run the stop sign. Hence the dash cam suggestion.

Originally Posted by Cujet
If you go at the same time as the car in front (who is in the intersection) you probably have not broken any laws.

As others have explained: if there are any other vehicles at opposing stop signs, you are failing to yield right-of-way, which is definitely an offense.

Originally Posted by TTK
You must stop at the white line, then move through when clear and appropriate. Each car must stop at the white line.

I agree.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
Originally Posted by Cujet
If you go at the same time as the car in front (who is in the intersection) you probably have not broken any laws.

As others have explained: if there are any other vehicles at opposing stop signs, you are failing to yield right-of-way, which is definitely an offense.

Correct. I was simply thinking of a non congested situation.

At "Right turn permitted on a red light after a full stop" intersections I frequently have horns blown at me because I stop fully at the stop line.

People don't know or they selectively forget the basics.

Originally Posted by TTK
You must stop at the white line, then move through when clear and appropriate. Each car must stop at the white line.

Good for you a person that thinks he needs to follow the law because those laws aren't just for other people and I've already had my day put on pause for 30 seconds.

I'm old and lots of experience in traffic and violations. only advice I have is obey all traffic signs as clearly indicated or be willing to pay the price.

I have never seen a traffic sign give a option A or B. it ain't rocket science.

Coming to a complete stop at a stop sign??

My grandpa told a story that most folks did this once upon a time, and that police officers on patrol would give out tickets to those who did not do this.

My brother and I laughed and laughed at this fable because certainly he had to have been joshing us.

How am I going to see the stop line at night under an oncoming car with headlights on?

We have a 4-way here that works very well because almost everyone goes straight and everyone knows to do the "two-fer". In such an example if my oncoming car competely legally stopped and is starting through, I might roll that stop myself to keep the rhythm going. Noone gets upset because we're all just trying to get home.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
But officer, science teaches us that nothing truly stops.
Science actually teaches us via Sir Isaac Newton that objects at rest, remain at rest until they are acted upon by an outside force. . . .

I was referring to atomic and subatomic particles, which everything is made of and are always moving — until the heat death of the universe — and juxtaposing that with the absurdity of trying to beat a ticket by referencing quantum mechanics to a traffic cop.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Technically-unless you stop at the white line, you've not stopped for the stop sign.

All of the "inching up" and other hypothetical moves are irrelevant. "Technically" won't hold up in court, or for a traffic cop, or for your fellow drivers.

Stop at the line.

See if it's clear.

Then go.

That's it.

^^^^^

Right on here...

And I'm giving you a heads up... If you come to my area on Old News Rd... .. Morons run through the stop bars and stop signs in that stretch of road. Like they just roll right through the sign and bar... Many many accidents in that 1/4 stretch of road...I run right up on them when they are doing that.. I made a moron finally come to a complete stop half way into the road... They just ran through and I was going 30 mph... Speed limit is 35 there by the way... And mental midget finally realized I was not slowing down Finally stopping has they should have to begin with. I let them know they were number 1. And that they should have actually stopped. It's like either they are a) playing chicken... Or b) think that if they do something that stupid that you must stop for them... Or c) are completely oblivious to what is going on and what the signs are right in front of them.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
But officer, science teaches us that nothing truly stops.
Science actually teaches us via Sir Isaac Newton that objects at rest, remain at rest until they are acted upon by an outside force. . . .

I was referring to atomic and subatomic particles, which everything is made of and are always moving — until the heat death of the universe — and juxtaposing that with the absurdity of trying to beat a ticket by referencing quantum mechanics to a traffic cop.

Ah, the Quantum... The interconnectedness....
Perhaps we might ask Schrodinger's cat?

Well said.

This scenrio happened to me just the other day. Guy stopped well past the stop bar. I was a few feet back from the stop bar behind him. 4 way stop, visbility good in all direction, no other cars. I went as soon as he did and did not "inch" my way up to the stop bar, stop again, and then go. We both stopped at the same time. We both went at the same time.

Depends-we have a Y intersection just up the road off a 65 mph hwy to a 55 mph road where you can see in any direction for about 3 miles. I call it the fastest stop sign in the west. I usually slow down to about 50 and drop to 4th and put cruise back on at 75.

Originally Posted by TTK

Most people around here pay no attention to the white line. The ones who do seem to see how far past the line they can stop, if they stop at all...

Interesting that quite a few people have completely misunderstood my question and are being sarcastic in their responses, saying common sense to stop at stop signs and things of the like. I will not attempt to clarify because past experience leads me to believe that further confuses people.

In the scenario I presented I would also agree that on the books (provided right of way/hazard issues are clear) it would be OK for me to go once the person in front of me has gone. I just wonder how that would hold up to an officer's point of view or in court were another idiotic driver happen to appear and cause a wreck. As I don't currently have a dash cam I'll err on the side of caution and pause before making my move.
I was hoping people off the top of their head would know of specific instances where that scenario has been brought to court or challenged in some way.

It isn't legal to stop behind another car then follow him like a lemming when he goes. You have to stop again when it is just you first in line at the stop sign. You can give or take a couple of feet on the white line but not a whole car length.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back