AC compressor pulley replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellas. I have a problem getting my ac compressor pulley off. The pulley is making a loud whining noise, and I read that people have changed their pulleys and the sound went away. Bad bearing issue. The compressor still works fine and blows cold air.

The problem is most shafts have a hex end, so you use a 7mm socket to hold it in place and twist the pulley off. My shaf as an odd shapped end, it's flat on both sides, supposedly takes a special Mercedes tool but I can't find it for sale. A gator grip cannot fit down there. What do you guys suggest.?

Car is a 2003 Mercedes clk500

8DC7AE6A-30F0-4DC6-99D2-3E1F7B692DEC.jpeg

Last edited:
I know some might say to just replace the entire compressor, but that's gonna cost 2 grand, and it's slightly out of my skill level. so might as well try this out first and see what happens. The pulley only cost me 30 bucks.

I once had sockets for suspension struts that were that shape.

They were stamped 'BS-1' and 'BS-2', but those don't seem to be standard names.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm not very familiar with Mercedes stuff but every other manufacturer presses the pully onto the shaft or uses a retaining bolt. Your looks pressed to me.

Yeah man I was thinking that. When I was on the Mercedes forums, the people with the compressors that have the 7mm hex at the end were able to do it,
BUT I have read a document claiming I should be able to do mine too, I just need that special Mercedes socket(not like there's enough room for a socket and ratchet underneath).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back