3.3 V-6 in 2017-18 Santa Fe engine concerns?

So after my disappointment of not getting the Paciica, we have decided on a used Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate Limited.
We have it narrowed down to three 2017 and one 2018, all with the 3.3 V6 Lambda II GDi (G6DH) engine, with between 12,000 and 24,000 miles.
Have there been any issues with this particular engine?
I know as a GDi there can be a problem with fuel dilution and possible issues with the valves getting carbon buildup, but anything in particular that I need to know about?
I have really read nothing but good with these engines (and vehicles as a whole) but just want to make sure I am not overlooking something.

Anything else to look out for on the Santa Fe? I have had good luck with Hyundai, as well as several family members.

I almost bought a Hyundai Elantra Sport. I learned in my research Hyundai and probably Kia, too, will try to avoid doing warranty work on an engine or transmission if you fail to show proof of maintaining the vehicle.
More so than other auto makers. Doesn't the powertrain warranty on used Hyundai's get reduced to 5/60K?

I had two Sonata 2009 models now for 8 yrs. my wife just had an accident and the oldest Sonata...high milage was a right off. So I replaced it with a 2018 Kia Sedona SX+.
CR rated it TOP for reliability and the Pacifica way down. We were looking at a Santa Fe but the Sedona is so much bigger inside but with the same mileage as a Santa Fe 3.3 l.

The 3.3l engine is very reliable and the warranty is the BEST>

Those are great engines. Probably one of the best Hyundai ever produced. I had both a Kia and a Hyundai with that engine. I sold the Hyundai last year with 155,000 miles on it. Never touched the engine.
The motor ran as good as the day I bought it new and used zero oil. And it still had the original spark plugs in it.

It's a 290 horsepower motor and really moves those vehicles along. I assume you saw my post in your other thread so I won't comment on it's reliability again.

The original 10-year/100k warranty is NOT transferable!

Second owners only get 5 years/60k
mad.gif

However, CPO Hyundais get the full 10 year/100k warranty.

So if you don't buy it new, get a CPO!

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I almost bought a Hyundai Elantra Sport. I learned in my research Hyundai and probably Kia, too, will try to avoid doing warranty work on an engine or transmission if you fail to show proof of maintaining the vehicle.
More so than other auto makers. Doesn't the powertrain warranty on used Hyundai's get reduced to 5/60K?

It does....but it doesn't matter because you won't need it. If you are insecure the dealer would be happy to sell you a factory extended warranty. But the power train has a great track record.

You must not be too concerned about reliability if you buy VWs and Audis.

I'm not a reliability worry wort. I didn't buy the Hyundai because it has more road and wind noise at freeway speeds compared to my GTI making it less comfortable on a trip.

Our SFS 2.0T, although not the 3.3 V6, has been rock solid. It's a 2013 bought in 2012 and has over 140K miles. It's still very comfortable, looks great and has nice power.

The 3.3 is reported to be even more reliable.

Congrats.

The early 3.3's had some minor issues but that is long been resolved. They are solid engines that Hyundai has used over a couple of vehicles and has refined it with each year.

Haven't heard any bad associated with these V6s. I loved the little 2.7L and 4spd auto in my 2008 Santa Fe GLS AWD. That was one of the best AWDs I've owned.

OK, thanks.

Reading about it did not seem to bring up any real recent issues (aside from the possible GDi related problems).

I have no concern with a 5/60 warranty. It is not like many other vehicles have a 5/60 to start out with, much less transferred.
We will hit the time before mileage anyway. Wife drives maybe 6,000 miles a year (may put on a few more with this becoming our primary family trip vehicle instead of my truck).

As I said, I have had a few Hyundai's ('04 Elantra 140,000 miles in 10 years with 2 warranty claims, 1 @ 20,000 miles (radio and headlight) and transmission solenoid @ 99,980 miles). Sold it because I was given a truck, and a '05 Tucson, 3 years, 28,000 miles with no issues at all).
Several in the family also have them. 1 sister with a Sonata for 6 years no issues, she now has a '09 Santa Fe with 120,000 miles no issues, another sister with a 2010 Santa Fe with 160,000 miles no issues, and a brother with a '04 Sonata with 140,000 miles (bought used with 80,000 miles), 3 teenage drivers in it, and was just given to another nephew to continue to drive, no major issues.
Interesting note, not sure if still true or not, but originally, the 10/100 was transferable to family members. Have not looked to see if still true.

Now to see if the dealers will deal on their prices. One has already knocked 13% off the KBB/Edmunds value, one has dropped it about 8%, the other (the one I really want of course, newest, lowest mileage, and interior color I like) I have not heard back from yet, but am very hopeful they will do something decent. It has only been on their lot for about 4 days, so they may not deal just yet.
One of the 2017 I found it has 2 accident reports on Carfax (one with drivers airbag deployed) so I am passing on that one.

Originally Posted by JTK
Haven't heard any bad associated with these V6s. I loved the little 2.7L and 4spd auto in my 2008 Santa Fe GLS AWD. That was one of the best AWDs I've owned.

I had the 2.7 and the 4 speed in my Santa Fe, a tad underpowered in that application but durable as heck as my signature shows.

My landlords have one, 2017 with less than 20000Km.

Look for blue/grey smoke at startup, and use a low noak oil (unlike them). Also don't use cheap gas in the winter at least, engine doesn't like it.

Otherwise it really moves the Santa Fe XL pretty well ðŸ‘

I have the same engine in my 2017 SE. I love it. It gets great gas mileage for the power it makes and the vehicle it hauls, yet it can really move that SantaFe if called to do so. Doesn't use a drop of oil, and I have noticed no fuel dilution issues.

I have read on the Hyundai forums that the 3.3L Lambda II doesn't have many GDI intake valve issues as Hyundai uses a two stage injection sequence, and one of those is a small squirt of fuel on the intake valves when they are still open.

I actually enjoy my commute to and from work with the SF. Looking to try the AWD system this winter. We will see if Seattle gets any snow or not this year.

Originally Posted by Popsy
My landlords have one, 2017 with less than 20000Km.

Look for blue/grey smoke at startup, and use a low noak oil (unlike them). Also don't use cheap gas in the winter at least, engine doesn't like it.

Otherwise it really moves the Santa Fe XL pretty well ðŸ‘

Was waiting for the basher.....

Notice it's "his friend". Not an owner like most of the replies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

LOL !

Where is the bashing ?
I'm just saying put good oil and good gas, otherwise blue:grey smoke will probably happen, if you live in a cold climate.

I live in Canada and have this car starting in front of my windows every morning, they put the cheapest oil and gas there is, and it smokes blue/grey at startup.

Also no, they aren't my "friends" but my landlords.

As for the car itself, I only drove it two or three times, but was agreeably impressed bu the power and comfort. Should I really explain everything ?

Originally Posted by CKN

LOL !

Where is the bashing ?
I'm just saying put good oil and good gas, otherwise blue:grey smoke will probably happen, if you live in a cold climate.

I live in Canada and have this car starting in front of my windows every morning, they put the cheapest oil and gas there is, and it smokes blue/grey at startup.

Also no, they aren't my "friends" but my landlords.

As for the car itself, I only drove it two or three times, but was agreeably impressed bu the power and comfort. Should I really explain everything ?

I'm in Utah-use both Costco and Sam's Club gas-and experience no smoke (of any kind) at 20 degrees. Costco is tier one gas-Sam's Club is not.

Two different things here : startup smoke ; I think the cuplrit is [censored] oil - they are using the cheapest oil change service they can get, highish NOACK is probably why it's smoking blue at startup. Have no other explanation, the car is almost new, I'm curious why it does that, except because of bad maintenance. When you pay $35 CAD for an oil change in a garage, don't expect the best oil there is.

As for the "cheap" gas, here Costco uses Husky gas, but I know they use Ultramar. When it's very cold it takes longer to start with cheap 87 gas than with 91, and "feels" grumpy when cold. By cold I mean less than 0, and by longer, I mean like 3-4s more cranking, not forever. Probably makes sense with most cars, I'm blaming the gas here.

Again, in case this isn't clear, I'm blaming bad maintenance and bad gas, that's all. They say they have a 10y warranty, so just do the bare minimum (oil change every 6 months, that's all), and don't care about anything else. To me it's too bad, but it's their car and their money, they will probably change it in a few years, so after all, why caring? If I were to buy this car and plan to keep it, I'd be careful with oil and gas.

Two different things here : startup smoke ; I think the cuplrit is [censored] oil - they are using the cheapest oil change service they can get, highish NOACK is probably why it's smoking blue at startup. Have no other explanation, the car is almost new, I'm curious why it does that, except because of bad maintenance. When you pay $35 CAD for an oil change in a garage, don't expect the best oil there is.

As for the "cheap" gas, here Costco uses Husky gas, but I know they use Ultramar. When it's very cold it takes longer to start with cheap 87 gas than with 91, and "feels" grumpy when cold. By cold I mean less than 0, and by longer, I mean like 3-4s more cranking, not forever. Probably makes sense with most cars, I'm blaming the gas here.

Again, in case this isn't clear, I'm blaming bad maintenance and bad gas, that's all. They say they have a 10y warranty, so just do the bare minimum (oil change every 6 months, that's all), and don't care about anything else. To me it's too bad, but it's their car and their money, they will probably change it in a few years, so after all, why caring? If I were to buy this car and plan to keep it, I'd be careful with oil and gas.

Agreed. I tun top tier 92 octane and QSUD 5W30 changed every 3750 miles.

I don't notice any difference in starting the car in 27*F weather or 87*F weather.

Originally Posted by Brigadier

Agreed. I tun top tier 92 octane and QSUD 5W30 changed every 3750 miles.

I don't notice any difference in starting the car in 27*F weather or 87*F weather.

I run 85 octane (at 5,000 feet) and change with conventional oil every 5,000 miles. It will be traded in just shy of 100,000 miles. So-I guess we will never know who's motor last the longest.

Back