Wix 51348 Little Over 5,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, Wix 51348 with a shade over 5,000 miles on it. This was on a Ford Explorer Interceptor with an EcoBoost V-6. Only thing I really notes was that the media seems brittle, I tore it with very little thumb pressure. Enjoy the pics.

456A0394-CED9-4624-BCD5-092F2A078180.jpeg

1CCB6C44-335F-4B85-85A4-133F1E009112.jpeg

60AE955C-742D-4DC1-8701-C8FF53CC48D7.jpeg

26DECF93-93CB-4286-A2AD-173161A62039.jpeg

6B4A892A-79FE-459C-8822-667686348F1F.jpeg

177C364C-D2FA-4E78-8C98-26FB7AB3A1B7.png

8517EF08-4FCF-48FE-BED6-C5AA1B98E333.jpeg

6FEDF06C-3A09-4660-8483-E04261E4B586.jpeg

WOW! That oil is a lot more black than I am used to seeing. Could that have been from high hours of being at idle speed?

Originally Posted by MParr
WOW! That oil is a lot more black than I am used to seeing. Could that have been from high hours of being at idle speed?

Looks like it did the job and Thank You for c&p

I've cut tons of Auto Extra filters from Escape, and Explorers with Ecoboost engines. All had kinda black oil.

I think they are just rough on oil. All the EcoBoost interceptors seem to black the oil quickly.

Thanks again Adam for the c&p.

That media being easily torn like that is bothersome. Do you think fuel dilution is affecting some types of filter media in a negative way? I'm thinking that the typical paper media may not hold up well in fuel diluted oil compared to synthetic.

Last edited:
Linctex
I think what we are seeing is the result of hours on that oil and not miles. Police vehicles spend a lot of time idling. The oil that comes out of my Ecoboost, after 5,000 miles, is never that black.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Do you think fuel dilution is affecting some types of filter media in a negative way?

1) Adam didn't cut this one.

2) It *IS* possible - - - it depends on the glues & resins used to make the "paper" media, and how good they are at resisting "solvents"

This is an Explorer Interceptor, but not used as a police car. It is however a municipal fleet car, so it does see more idle hours than a normal commuter car. I wish these things tracked idle hours vs engine hours like the school buses do, but they don't. The buses had an insane amount of idle hours, especially in the winter. Our service tracking spreadsheet only logs mileage and time, not engine hours. I've been thinking about a solution to the problem. Obviously engine hours vs mileage can vary wildly in a fleet such as this. I am just a technician though, I don't run the program. I can only suggest solutions, not implement them.

I do agree with most all of the above posts, I believe this is due to an excessive amount of idle time in the given mileage. We change them at 5,000 miles or 6 months. O'Reilly Synthetic 5w-30 is used in these cars.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Do you think fuel dilution is affecting some types of filter media in a negative way?

1) Adam didn't cut this one.

2) It *IS* possible - - - it depends on the glues & resins used to make the "paper" media, and how good they are at resisting "solvents"

My mistake. Apologies to 69Torino. Thanks for the c&p.

THe filter looks perfect and did it's job well but the GDI engines I have worked on turns the oil black and smells of fuel when ever I change the oil in them.

Remember that oil does not have a finger, and cannot pres on the media in the way you did. So the "brittle media" is really a mute point.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Remember that oil does not have a finger, and cannot pres on the media in the way you did. So the "brittle media" is really a mute point.

You are correct in stating this. Just sharing an observation with the forum. When I cut filters open, I have a habit of thumbing through the pleats looking for shiny bits and carbon. In recent memory, I don't believe I've ever punched through an automotive filter with my thumb. It's not very common in my experience, usually the media will deflect with pressure. The last filter that did this to me was a very large two stage Wix XD (extended drain) filter on an International MaxxForce engine in service for 6,000 miles and had an insane amount of idle time. The bottom stage of the filter, which closely resembles an automotive filter, crumbled at the slightest touch. The International engine I mentioned though, in fact, was diluting the oil with diesel fuel. It added about a gallon of diesel fuel to the 32 quart capacity sump in a matter of days, only 300 miles. So for the sake of information and posterity, I believe it's important to note that fuel dilution (gasoline or diesel) has an extremely quick effect on degrading the integrity of a filter media. In the case of this EcoBoost, I would like to see my employer either implement a method of tracking engine hours (Hobbs meter) or shorten the intervals on the white fleet, mainly the police cars. Many of them are coming off warranty and will be my problem soon.

Don't get me wrong, the brittle media is worth noting. It may or may not be an issue the longer the filter is used. It's just that there are some people here who will condemn a filter simply based on a small observation like that, without giving it much thought.

Anyways, thanks for the C&P!

Don't get me wrong, the brittle media is worth noting. It may or may not be an issue the longer the filter is used. It's just that there are some people here who will condemn a filter simply based on a small observation like that, without giving it much thought.

Anyways, thanks for the C&P!

No problem. I don't blame the filter. I blame the application and usage patterns. I don't believe them to be optimal.

It might be a prudent step for GDI owners to use a filter with synthetic media considering what we see here.

I completely agree, though the general public in practice won't do that. Those that know better though, could benefit through information gleaned in this forum.

I run NG 7356 on GDI ~6k miles, no issues as posted here. I'll continue to use with confidence. Afaik all OE/OEM GDI OF are cellulose/blend media.

As for topic, it got the job done for the ~5k miles. Run topic application in Tacoma and lawn mower all time, and currently. Here's a 1348 anecdote.

Thanks for c&p.

Not a moot point if the media is brittle like 69Torino found if those pleats were widely spread apart. That's the main reason Purolators (which also have brittle media) tear pretty easily with oil flow pushing them sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back