2019 Pacifica - worth a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not and I wouldn't have purchased AWD in the Highlander except it was a model that was on the lot that I could drive away in right away which I needed after the accident with the Journey where someone T-Boned me. To me AWD isn't a necessity. I have driven FWD in some of the worst weather imaginable. Good tires, skill and proper driving is all that is needed IMO. 0 at-fault accidents in almost 2,000,000km

Last edited:
I should add. Both the dealership and Toyota Canada reached out to me after I traded the vehicle. The dealership found out because the loan was being paid out early incurred a fee for them because it hadn't been a year and they wanted to know what happened. It was all about making it right and not about the fee they had incurred. They seemed genuine and apologetic and told me they would share my experience with Toyota Canada. I got a call about a week later from them wanting to know what happened and all the details so they could take it up with the Product Planing Department and that I might get another call from Toyota America (where PPD is) for more information. I was quite happy they seemed to care.

I think it's too new of a design with bugs still to work out and I think it's further complicated by the fact that at first the transmissions seem fine, it's down the road that they seem to act up. I think this might be related to their adaptive logic not being correct in this particular unit.

So will I consider Toyota again? Sure, Will I buy from my dealer again, Absolutely because it was the best experience I have ever had at any dealership. Will I buy a newer model year that isn't towards the end of the model cycle from Toyota? Not a chance and certainly not before I check Toyota Tech Info and the internet for known issues. I was in a bit of pinch with this purchase and well I got burned slightly.

The good news I don't pay directly for my vehicles it's covered through work so as long as the payment is the same or less than what they give me I could care less about taking a loss if needed which is what I did in this case. And I shaved a year off the payments as well with the Dodge. So it works fine in my case. I can sleep at night knowing I won't be somewhere remote (which is possible with my job) and the vehicle breaks down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I should add. Both the dealership and Toyota Canada reached out to me after I traded the vehicle. The dealership found out because the loan was being paid out early incurred a fee for them because it hadn't been a year and they wanted to know what happened. It was all about making it right and not about the fee they had incurred. They seemed genuine and apologetic and told me they would share my experience with Toyota Canada. I got a call about a week later from them wanting to know what happened and all the details so they could take it up with the Product Planing Department and that I might get another call from Toyota America (where PPD is) for more information. I was quite happy they seemed to care.

I think that Toyota really DOES care. They seem to be far more concerned about their reputation than any other manufacturer that I am aware of. They have gone out-of-their-way to make and keep me happy.
Having said that, what is it with all of these 8, 9, and 10 speed automatics? Soon we will be seeing 11 and even 12 speed automatics. Is it for bragging rights? Why don't the manufacturers just go straight to 20 speed automatics for the ultimate in bragging rights? How in the world did we EVER get by with only 4 speed automatics for so many years? Personally, I don't really see that there are any tangible benefits beyond 6 speeds, the additional complexity and problems are not offset by any fractional MPG improvement.

I can sleep at night knowing I won't be somewhere remote (which is possible with my job) and the vehicle breaks down.

What makes you think that your Dodge won't/can't break down?

Originally Posted by wag123
I can sleep at night knowing I won't be somewhere remote (which is possible with my job) and the vehicle breaks down.

What makes you think that your Dodge won't/can't break down?

Because we have 4 of them in the family, one of which I drove the first 2/3'rds of its life (200K) and it had 0 issues, it's my dad's now at 300K and still no issues. the other 3 have had 0 issues as well. So the likelihood of mine having issues is not likely considering the model is old in the tooth and it has been excellent other than some cylinder head issues when they first came out with this engine. (My dad's is an affected unit but hasn't caused any issues)

Not saying that I won't have problems, just the likelihood is good I won't and if I do it will be minor and not something like an Engine/Transmission.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
The Pacifica is a nice van, but I would be more than a little concerned about whether or not FCA will still be in business in 6 or 7 years. Jeep is carrying the entire company right now. If Dad wants to try and help save the company by purchasing a new vehicle from them, so be it. As a long term investment, purchasing an FCA product is an iffy proposition IMO.
The Sienna is easily the most reliable van and will definitely last the longest, it comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense and Star Safety Systems, plus, it is made in the USA (if that means anything to Dad).

Not so sure about that. Ram trucks have outsold Chevrolet in a few recent months and sales continue to grow. A local dealer that sells Dodge and Chevrolet side by side sells 6 Rams to every 4 Chevrolets.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Not so sure about that. Ram trucks have outsold Chevrolet in a few recent months and sales continue to grow.

Not so. According to the actual sales numbers, RAM sales are down 6.7% YTD in 2018 from 2017, and GM is outselling RAM big time (when you add together the total sales of the virtually identical Chevy and GMC pickups). https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/07/best-selling-pickup-trucks-second-quarter-2018.html Lost in the numbers is that GM is also outselling Ford on half ton pickups.
RAM is actually turning a good profit for FCA, but not nearly enough to keep the company out of bankruptcy court, the profits they are generating from Jeep is keeping FCA afloat. Keep in mind that Chrysler is losing money on everything else in North America and Fiat is losing big money in Europe. Without Jeep and RAM profits, FCA would have posted a loss of 247 million euros in the second quarter. Even with Jeep and RAM profits, they lost 98 million euros in the second quarter. IMO, when the next great recession hits, FCA will probably not survive. Jeep will survive, owned by someone else, and RAM might survive, if a buyer can be found. History dictates that we are overdue for another recession, it is not a matter of IF it will happen, just a matter of when and how bad.

GUYS,
Thank you for the great info. I will share with my son-in-law and let him live with a very informed decision.
I appreciate your candor and history to the fullest.
Many happy, safe miles to all.
ðŸ‘

cheers3.gif
Good Luck to him
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back