Switching back to 0w20 for Texas winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should be reaching planned 8-9K on the current 5w30 with my civic (TGDI)somewhere this December/January (based on the motor hours as well as MM). Any benefit/issue going back to 0w20 for the next fill for texas "winter" month? What y'alls thoughts?

Last edited:
waste of time replying to my original question? waste of time spending winter in texas? waste of time changing oil? would you please be a bit more specific?

Do what makes you feel good
smile.gif

Being in Texas you could run the 5w30 year round. Even if it gets cold in your area that oil will flow just fine.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Waste of time it doesnt get cold in Texas!
Ding but don't tell a Texan that they will swear up down all day long it gets brutally cold.

Living in Texas doesn't make me a texan lol

I've worked in -40 environments and of my those car suffered.

Alright folks, just figured i ask gurus since i'm new to the game

I would say no benefits or issues switching to 0w20 in texas.
living in eastern on. Canada, i have been on the 0w20 kick for a while does it benefit me! meh who knows.
i'm starting to think of switching to 0w30 as a year round oil which maybe be the best of both worlds for our cold winters and fairly hot summers.

Given that engine's fuel dilution issues combined with a "seasonal" winter, I'd stick with 30 weight.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Waste of time it doesnt get cold in Texas!

Not exactly. The TX panhandle can be very cold. Not "Canada cold" or even "Minnesota cold", but cold enough. The Gulf Coast where I live? No. We have even swam at the beach on Christmas Day, not kidding.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Being in Texas you could run the 510w30 year round. Even if it gets cold in your area that oil will flow just fine.

Fixed it for you. TX rarely goes below sero degrees F and the all-time record low is -23F, youshould be good to go with an oil good down to -18F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back