Amsoil Signature Series (ASM) 0W-20 17,500 mi Oil, 2012 Prius 135,800 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my co-workers car. First UOA ever and first time using Amsoil. I first extracted a sample from the top. I realized the oil level was very low so in a few days time the owner of the car decided to change the oil. It turns out this Prius has lost about 57% of its oil capacity (2.5 out of 4.4 quarts)!!! Engine model is 2ZR-FXE with 1.8L displacement.

The first time I received the UOA it said the oil was good for at least another 3,000 miles. Then the report was later updated once I informed them that the oil was changed shortly after the sample was taken.

Comments/feedback welcome.

[Linked Image]

Always when I switch a vehicle to Amsoil I always do a couple runs before doing a UOA. The engine needs a chance to fully flush out the previous oils uses and there might be some minor consumption with a brand change.

I just switched my new van over to Amsoil from a couple conventional changes, I intend to change this oil when due and then on the next fill run the report at the end of that run. This way Amsoil has been in there for 2 fills. Especially with the new formulation which from what I have seen is a super cleaner.

Good report though considering it was 80% Amsoil and about 20% whatever oil used previously.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
It is common for the 10-14's to drink oil, the 15's have updated rings.

2 qt in 17.5K is very low consumption for the 2ZR with 135K. Do not be surprised if it suddenly skyrockets.

Originally Posted by Diesel12
With that much oil consumption id be tempted to go up in viscosity maybe a xW-30.

Me too.

Based on the wear metals and it was over 50% low on oil, it seems as though the previous oil was doing an excellent job. Why switch to over-priced Amsoil when 50% of it will be burned or leaked out ?

Originally Posted by StevieC
Always when I switch a vehicle to Amsoil I always do a couple runs before doing a UOA. The engine needs a chance to fully flush out the previous oils uses and there might be some minor consumption with a brand change.

I just switched my new van over to Amsoil from a couple conventional changes, I intend to change this oil when due and then on the next fill run the report at the end of that run. This way Amsoil has been in there for 2 fills. Especially with the new formulation which from what I have seen is a super cleaner.

Good report though considering it was 80% Amsoil and about 20% whatever oil used previously.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the comments. The oil in this car was completely changed to Amsoil (around 4.4 quarts) back in January 2018 so there was no 20% of the previous oil.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Based on the wear metals and it was over 50% low on oil, it seems as though the previous oil was doing an excellent job. Why switch to over-priced Amsoil when 50% of it will be burned or leaked out ?

Thanks for the feedback. There has never been a previous UOA. The owner of the car would do the oil changes at a quick lube place every 5K to 7K miles using a semi-synthetic blend at a cost of $65 (including oil filter). The oil level was never checked. The fact that oil was changed at this rate probably desguised the fact that the Prius engine was consuming oil at such a high rate :-(

So now the oil has been changed again to Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 (and Amsoil oil filter), but this time the owner is going to check the oil level periodically and add new oil as required (synthetic oil but not necessarily Amsoil to top off). All in all I think on a per mile basis the cost is going to be lower than the previous oil change regime.

There were oil consumption issues with 2.4L engine around 2007-2008.

You may want to check the Toyota's forum to see if there is any warranty enhancement for this engine?
If not, go to the dealer and see if there is any solution.

Originally Posted by SR1919
Originally Posted by StevieC

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the comments. The oil in this car was completely changed to Amsoil (around 4.4 quarts) back in January 2018 so there was no 20% of the previous oil.

So this was the 2nd change of Amsoil then? If not then there would have been about 20% of the old oil remaining in the engine as when you change the oil there is about this much left behind from the previous change.
smile.gif

Last edited:
That owner didn't check their oil level every week or month or so, a problem fleet managers have long complained about when the responsibility of checking oil level is given to the frequent drivers..... Fleet vehicle? What owner isn't curious about oil level once in a while? OK, maybe I've been an engineer for too long and I probably forget how many people view these machines. ...

I guess if the oil pressure light never came on, and temperature didn't get too high, then low oil level isn't a big problem. After all, the oil pickup tube is very low in the sump, sucking up what's there.
And, given this is a hybrid, which is quite slow to get engine temperature up, the oil is not likely to overheat. ... My Ford C-Max Hybrid engine only runs about half the time, and its not that tough on oil.

Iron wear ppm isn't bad, especially given the fact that low oil level meant iron was diluted by only about 2 quarts of oil here.

These Prius engines have the same reputation for getting stuck rings, causing high oil consumption, as the 2AZ-FE. The Prius has the 2ZR-FXE engine https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/th...e-oil-consumption-on-2zr-fxe-engine.820/
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=197077
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/DownloadPdf?id=197076

Originally Posted by Gubkin
100% engine in deposits
use normal OCI in 10.000 miles
TBN 2.24 - fail...

Why this TBN value is a 'fail'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back