Look what UPS brought today! More Ravenol!

Originally Posted by PimTac
Nissan and Mopar don't make oil. Someone makes it for them.

They don't make the parts to their cars either but we still call it Nissan Or Mopar. They ask for the formula and at least in Mopars fluid it is pao. And that is the one Ravenol makes a clone for. You know what is a really good question, why does that ZF fluid have to be PAO? Well, it is because they mechanically heat the fluid, that is right they heat the transmission fluid and it is also a lifetime fill. So the engineers decided it had to be PAO and not mineral. That is why it matters, now I'm sure all of you guys invested in the opposite point will have something sharp to say, but between you me and the engineers at FCA, I am saying I will roll with their opinion that PAO is really good stuff. Ravenol > Amsoil and this thread didn't need any steering towards Amsoil or redline or anything else. Stevie took us here, I just showed him what it is like when someone steers a thread that don't need steering, good day.

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Can someone please explain to me why it really matters what base stock is used? Amsoil makes a [censored] fine product, it could be made out of a teenagers excess skin oils, so long as it works and works well what's the issue? The others appear to also be very quality oils and they state they use PAO/Ester bases but not how much to my understanding so 1% doesn't mean much if the rest is a group 3 base. Again they all appear to be pretty much top of the line oils so what does any of this accomplish?

For the end consumer, what matters most are the specs and certifications the oil has. As long as the oil meets the demands of the engine you are fine.

You may not know this but all this argument over who has the better basestocks is futile for a couple of reasons. One, the companies are reformulating their oils routinely as needs justify. Two, Amsoil does not make base stocks. They buy them from someone else, likely Exxon Mobil. Another thought, Who owns Redline? (I know)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Bickering back and fourth like a bunch of kids,debating on who's lunch box is bigger!

It's not the size it's.... Nevermind.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Ravenol, some of the best oils made in Germany. Many companies went AWAY from pao when they allowed group 3 to be called synthetic, and some stayed with pao. I for one as an oil guy am glad to see some quality pao brands out there. I wonder why we all don't applaud these real boutique oils that obviously spend more for their base oils then the crowd.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Can someone please explain to me why it really matters what base stock is used? Amsoil makes a [censored] fine product, it could be made out of a teenagers excess skin oils, so long as it works and works well what's the issue? The others appear to also be very quality oils and they state they use PAO/Ester bases but not how much to my understanding so 1% doesn't mean much if the rest is a group 3 base. Again they all appear to be pretty much top of the line oils so what does any of this accomplish?

For the end consumer, what matters most are the specs and certifications the oil has. As long as the oil meets the demands of the engine you are fine.

You may not know this but all this argument over who has the better basestocks is futile for a couple of reasons. One, the companies are reformulating their oils routinely as needs justify. Two, Amsoil does not make base stocks. They buy them from someone else, likely Exxon Mobil. Another thought, Who owns Redline? (I know)

I mean it's gota come from someone

It has been stated here by knowledgeable members that some group 3 oils outperform pao and/or esters. Manyoils are a blend of these groups.

Cost is a target point for the oil companies. If you want to spend $40-50-60 or more for a jug of oil then feel free to do so. Many of us will run a $20-30 a jug oil and in the end there will be no difference in durability. As long as engine parts are separated by the oil film, all is good.

I disagree, group 3 will out perform pao on the margins and only the additives made that happen. But your basic pao base stock is out performing your basic group 3 base stock, period. Show me different I'm all eyes.

That is why they chose PAO for the ZF transmission, mineral oil was too risky. It wouldn't do what they wanted it to do. Ravenol has 100% pao transmissions fluids, and some that are mixed with group 3, both out perform group 3 transmission fluids. That is why the FCA engineers chose that for a lifetime fluid, it performs that much better in their mind. PAO tranny fluid, never needs changing.

I recently started a thread asking about Redline or Amsoil in my move up to 5w30. But the more I read about these Ravenol PAO's the more intrigued I got. And then I happened to go to Ebay today and saw the 10% coupon. So, long story short, 5 liters of Ravenol dxg 5w30 is on its way for $41.19 after shipping!

Originally Posted by Cipriano
I recently started a thread asking about Redline or Amsoil in my move up to 5w30. But the more I read about these Ravenol PAO's the more intrigued I got. And then I happened to go to Ebay today and saw the 10% coupon. So, long story short, 5 liters of Ravenol dxg 5w30 is on its way for $41.19 after shipping!

You got a good deal on it ...

awesome stuff, I may move the wife's car over at some point. My only negative on Ravenol in general is availability. On a personal level I prefer high moly oils and this aint one unless that has changed, dunno I haven't looked it up. But my take is for guys not wanting the super hearty pao oils that dominate the market, this is an easy choice. Lower additives more compliant with zinc phos levels and such. But it seams better suited for modern engines with those low additives.

Originally Posted by Andy636
Didn't knew Ravenol was so highly regarded in the US. Over here it's a bottom shelf oil and dirt cheap compared to other brands, under 30 bucks for a jug as the OP has...

I have a feeling that Ravenol is working very hard and spending real money to change that perception worldwide.

So in short, you're all a bunch of overgrown children who seem to think one oil company is full of lies and the others aren't, even though both oils are proven to be exceptional. Run what makes you happy and let others be if they don't choose the oil you so deem the nector of the gods.

Originally Posted by StevieC

--------------------------

E-mail response #2 where I asked if they would consider selling it on Amazon.ca

Hello Steve,

It is possible that we will in the future, but right now the cost to do so makes our product extremely expensive in the Canadian market and our labels are not up to Canadian regulations either.

Thanks,

Ethan Filipek

----------------------------

If Castrol can do it with certain labels that are identical in the States and here, where logistically needed, I'm sure Ravenol can accomplish it, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by burla

awesome stuff, I may move the wife's car over at some point. My only negative on Ravenol in general is availability. On a personal level I prefer high moly oils and this aint one unless that has changed, dunno I haven't looked it up. But my take is for guys not wanting the super hearty pao oils that dominate the market, this is an easy choice. Lower additives more compliant with zinc phos levels and such. But it seams better suited for modern engines with those low additives.

I feel I read on here that only so much moly actually does stuff and the rest just sorta sits around? Is that correct I can't remember, I'm more of a fan of the big slugs of ZDDP but do enjoy a small dabble of moly?

Originally Posted by burla
REDLINE, MOTUL, MILLERS, ENOES,, NISSAN, MOPAR ZF, I could probably keep going these I knew in like 2 seconds.

Nissan Genuine Ester Oil is not ester based at all. At best, it's a Group III, and a marketing gimmick, and a terrible one at that.

So in short, you're all a bunch of overgrown children who seem to think one oil company is full of lies and the others aren't, even though both oils are proven to be exceptional. Run what makes you happy and let others be if they don't choose the oil you so deem the nector of the gods.

01.gif

I was prepared to pay more, but when I added 4 liters to make it 5 total, Blauparts gave me "promotional" shipping of $3. Can't beat that! Its the only oil I've seen that specifies their moly as being tri-nuke. Add in some tungsten and I was sold.

Originally Posted by Garak
[/quote]
If Castrol can do it with certain labels that are identical in the States and here, where logistically needed, I'm sure Ravenol can accomplish it, too.
wink.gif

I know there are specific labeling laws because we are a truly bi-lingual country with 2 official languages recognized and you know the "eastern" province that has to stick a fork in everything and well now we have laws that say that all labels need to have both english and french. Anyhoo it created a lot of problems when I worked in the restaurant industry and we would bring up equipment made in the US or Mexico and we had to come up with retro-fit labels to change all the warnings / information to our 2 official languages and it wouldn't fit sometimes or wording had to be a certain way and needed to be vetted by technical writers etc. It was insane.

Anyway my point is that I think they are correct. If Castrol isn't doing it I'm not sure how because the French part of the country seem heck-bent on making sure french is on every label on everything in this country even though the majority of them speak english along with the rest of the world.

Then they wonder why.... Never mind gonna stop here before you know...
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Fancy fancy oil....

And it is really stout. The PQIA test results showed a NOACK of 8 percent... Very impressive.

I think PQIA tested the Noack at 6.8 for Ravenol DXG. Just thought I would throw that out there since this thread is lacking in points of contention. Wouldn't want it to get boring.

Last edited:
Back