Look what UPS brought today! More Ravenol!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Ravenol: About us

Thanks for the info Chris
smile.gif

Good reading

No no no, you don't get to drop that and then ask to not go off topic further... Here is the answer:

I claimed it was about HTHS and needing more headroom. I posted a PDS showing Castrol GTX 5-20 being in the 2.6 range. The comment I was making about the 2.3ish-2.6 and maybe I wasn't clear is that when I was arguing with Shannow I think he posted a chart and it basically showed no difference in wear with oils over 2.3ish and was trying to connect that a 2.6 oil in the 20wt variety was fine and that more "head room" wasn't needed.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Further I wouldn't have gone off topic if Burla had started with his nonsense. If you recall I had originally asked for a UOA / VOA and had left it there and then this happened:

Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by bbhero
Fancy fancy oil....

And it is really stout. The PQIA test results showed a NOACK of 8 percent... Very impressive.

Amsoil also has a Noack of 8% and lower depending on which oil you use from their signature series line. Just FWIW.

And Redline has a noack of 6 and is real synthetic oil, FWIW

I figured what the hey, I had some "funny money" in my Virgin Healthmiles account, and the DXG fill in my Fusion right now seems to be doing pretty well. So I ordered 2 more jugs from Blauparts. Amazon website listing still shows D1G1 which I was fine with (no GDI/TGDI for me!), but lo and behold, Blau is shipping D1G2 DXG now. So, we've got the PQIA VOA of D1G1, I'll have a UOA of D1G1 in a couple months, and now D1G2 to ponder testing as well. This will probably go in the Fusion again (unless it's sold before then), and maybe the Odyssey, but it has run really well on the PP Euro 0W40, so who knows?
smile.gif

I wish Ravenol was more widely available in the states, true quality oil not a fake boutique. No Gimmicks with that brand, lve that stuff!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
... and beaver vomit?
Best post ever. Now I'm wondering what the flashpoint of that is...
beer3.gif

My whole point of sharing is trying to get some of the lesser-seen oils on here, ..."Look what UPS brought today! More Ravenol!" title
Tell that UPS delivery driver he has triggered an argument.

It still comes down to clues. Clues are, that premium ingredients produce the best performance. PAO, moly, tungsten, etc., all expensive good ingredients. The makers are trying to distinguish themselves above and beyond specs. This Ravenol DXG uses more expensive ingredients than the minimum you need just to pass dexos1 Gen2, since we know SuperTech & Pennzoil Gold synth blend passes dexos1 Gen2 after all.
OK, that leaves the ingredients we don't know about, like what kind of anti-oxidants they use, which is Mobil1 Annual Protection's claim to superiority.... that one is harder to see or understand.

Comparing Amsoil SS to all this, it does appear they use quality base oils, and I see a lot of moly in their SS line anyway. And UOA results are almost always great with Amsoil SS, so there is some evidence what their doing is working.

Redline is interesting because of its POE and racing pedigree. I think SonOfJoe on here once said he regarded POE as an expensive and unnecessary component of a street oil, but has value as a high temperature beater of course (i.e., racing & jet turbines).

We don't know it's Group 4 or a mix of 4&5 or all 3. It was at one time all PAO when they advertised it being made from 100% PAO (minus the additive carriers). But when they stopped this advertisement and some folks took this to mean they cheapened out the formula or Amsoil is hiding something...

The fact that Amsoil won't say what their basestock is tells me all I need to know.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Fancy fancy oil....

And it is really stout. The PQIA test results showed a NOACK of 8 percent... Very impressive.

Amsoil also has a Noack of 8% and lower depending on which oil you use from their signature series line. Just FWIW.

Well jeez, when you actually go back and see who went off point I guess you can look at this post yes? I mean wth did Amsoil have to do with this post? but because like ten posters in this thread hold water for amsoil, it was Burla that was the problem, lol. No problem fellas, but I don't hold water for any brand, only formula. And Ravenol is really high quality oil, and this thread didn't need an amsoil pimp job.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
We don't know it's Group 4 or a mix of 4&5 or all 3. It was at one time all PAO when they advertised it being made from 100% PAO (minus the additive carriers). But when they stopped this advertisement and some folks took this to mean they cheapened out the formula or Amsoil is hiding something...

The fact that Amsoil won't say what their basestock is tells me all I need to know.

Really? What other company will tell you other than Ravenol? And even they don't tell you how much it actually is.

RAVENOL VSW SAE 0W-30 is a PAO (Polyalphaolefin) based, fully synthetic low friction motor oil with especially USVO® and proven CleanSynto® technology for passenger car petrol and diesel engines with and without turbo-charging and direct injection.

Further you might want to read Overkill's post above which pretty much states what they have to be using because of the properties the oil exhibits.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by turnbowm

Really? What other company will tell you other than Ravenol? And even they don't tell you how much it actually is.

REDLINE, MOTUL, MILLERS, ENOES,, NISSAN, MOPAR ZF, I could probably keep going these I knew in like 2 seconds.

Please show me proof. Links would be good. And not links that contain the following:

"Is a Pao Based" or "Ester Based" because 1% would allow them to make this claim. We need to see actual percentages or break-downs for it to mean anything.

Further I explained already about a good group III with a modern additive package will outperform an PAO oil with an add-pack from 15 years ago so it really means nothing unless you know the whole formulation of the oil how it's blended and it's additives unless you do a real world study and tear down the engine to have a look at how it performed otherwise.

To answer the question, I don;t know why I bother, but since it was asked Redline states their profesional series as "FULL SYNTHETIC -- OEM-required Group III/Group IV PAO Base Stocks" and the reason they don't state pao/esters is because they sell their blue label as ester based. So Redline states if it is a mixed product like group 3/4, and when it's fully synthetic they just say ester, whatever.. One thing, you don't have to ASSUME if they use pao or esters, because they do.

Please show me proof. Links would be good. And not links that contain the following:

"Is a Pao Based" or "Ester Based" because 1% would allow them to make this claim. We need to see actual percentages or break-downs for it to mean anything.

Further I explained already about a good group III with a modern additive package will outperform an PAO oil with an add-pack from 15 years ago so it really means nothing unless you know the whole formulation of the oil how it's blended and it's additives unless you do a real world study and tear down the engine to have a look at how it performed otherwise.

emoes

100% POA: 0W-50 utilizes 100% PAO base oil, giving the product incredibly high performance in comparison to general synthetic base oils,

I don't have all day to search links, I stand by what I say. facts are ethical oil companies tell you the base oil if they are going to sell it as a boutique oil. If an oil doesn't state it is PAO or esters, I say it isn't.

And the other ones you claimed?

REDLINE, MOTUL, MILLERS, ENOES,, NISSAN, MOPAR ZF, I could probably keep going these I knew in like 2 seconds.

I don't have all day to search links, I stand by what I say. facts are ethical oil companies tell you the base oil if they are going to sell it as a boutique oil. If an oil doesn't state it is PAO or esters, I say it isn't.

How convenient.

Last edited:
lol, common knowledge buddy, something you seam to be lacking. I don;t need to be on defense, if you want to prove amsoil is group 4 I am all ears. Everyone of those oils are either ester or pao or both and they say as much. You would be better off saying it doesn't matter as opposed to asserting amsoil is group 4.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Nissan and Mopar don't make oil. Someone makes it for them.

^^^^^^^

Exactly right.

lol, common knowledge buddy, something you seam to be lacking. I don;t need to be on defense, if you want to prove amsoil is group 4 I am all ears. Everyone of those oils are either ester or pao or both and they say as much. You would be better off saying it doesn't matter as opposed to asserting amsoil is group 4.

Like where I said that above? (Link to post - Click Here)

We don't know it's Group 4 or a mix of 4&5 or all 3. It was at one time all PAO when they advertised it being made from 100% PAO (minus the additive carriers). But when they stopped this advertisement and some folks took this to mean they cheapened out the formula or Amsoil is hiding something. ... I could care less if their oils are made out of unicorn tears or SPAM.

I'm beginning to think you have a learning disability or a reading comprehension problem.
wink.gif

Oh and you are the first I will be putting on Ignore. Congrats. Can't see your posts any longer. Bye!

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me why it really matters what base stock is used? Amsoil makes a [censored] fine product, it could be made out of a teenagers excess skin oils, so long as it works and works well what's the issue? The others appear to also be very quality oils and they state they use PAO/Ester bases but not how much to my understanding so 1% doesn't mean much if the rest is a group 3 base. Again they all appear to be pretty much top of the line oils so what does any of this accomplish?

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Can someone please explain to me why it really matters what base stock is used? Amsoil makes a [censored] fine product, it could be made out of a teenagers excess skin oils, so long as it works and works well what's the issue? The others appear to also be very quality oils and they state they use PAO/Ester bases but not how much to my understanding so 1% doesn't mean much if the rest is a group 3 base. Again they all appear to be pretty much top of the line oils so what does any of this accomplish?

Bickering back and fourth like a bunch of kids,debating on who's lunch box is bigger!

Back