WalMart Valvoline MaxLife 5W20 not SN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to pick up some of this today and noticed it did not say SN+ as their website indicates. It only said SN. It also had a different part#, not 881162 as on the Valvoline website. Walmart's jugs say something like 881182 I can't recall exactly. I wonder if it's truly not SN+?

Thoughts?

Edit I finally found the Valvoline contact form they tried to hide. Will advise.

Last edited:
Only a concern where GDI / TGDI may have LSPI issues. Otherwise it's fine. And this could just be because they had old stock on the shelves compared to the website that lists the latest from the warehouse.

Thoughts ? Walmart buys a crap-load of Valvoline MaxLife oil and has stock of the 'older' stuff. For a huge number of their customers, it's a non-issue so they'll do nothing about it. Eventually they will get the current variety.

Should be fine for your '07 Blazer. As Stevie said, only concern is for newer engines that are Gas Direct Injection/Turbo Gas Direct Injection engines with low speed pre-ignition.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I would not worry. It could have been SN+ formulated but Valvoline did not labels for SN+ at packaging.

That's entirely possible. If they did this, they are providing something better than what the label indicates so 'no harm, no foul'. I recall another similar case with an oil product and someone actually contacted the manufacturer and was told something to the effect that some new product will have old labels because they printed a lot of them and weren't going to throw them out. Again, it was a case of providing a better/newer product too so the consumer wasn't getting a lesser product.

Originally Posted by anndel
Should be fine for your '07 Blazer.

Exactly. You ran your Blazer on SM oil for years when it was new. There is nothing to worry about.

This is like seeing an advertisement on the Ford website for a new 2019 model, and then when you go to the dealer you are horrified to see some 2018 models still on the lot.

Why is it implausible that there would still be plenty of SN oil left on the shelves?

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/dcefb479-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Capture.PNG

Also, if you can locate the dexos license number on the bottle at it starts with a "d" then it is Gen2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back