Bank Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
18 months ago my business checking had a deposit of a good bit of $$$$
I did not deposit it. I never used the branch it was deposited at in my life ( next town over)
I have repeatedly informed my local bank in person and emailed them as well as the corporate headquarters.
( I emailed to keep a record)

They say there was no error and that I must have deposited it. No. Anyway I'm going to another bank that is offering better
rates and am going to close this account. I plan on depositing this money in my savings account and not touch it as I assume
somebody will get wise to the mistake. I just got tired of fighting them. Has this happened to anybody here?

Some company or person likely had their deposit put in your account. I don't think your bank tried very hard to track it down and certainly the other party hasn't noticed it missing and contacted the bank. If it was a cash deposit, it will be tricky to track down but if it was a check or checks, they can surely see who they were made out to. I think they will catch it at some point and if you still have an account there, they'll just pull it out without telling you. Since you plan to close the account, to be on the safe side, I'd open an add'l account and put that money in there vs mixing it up with your business' regular account.

Yes then the mysterious depositor proceeded to empty out my Mothers Bank account. Took months to correct. It was like 26G's.

I'd go and sit down with the Bank V.P. where it was deposited. Forget the email - not properly formal.

Open you books and bring your auditor.

DO NOT DEPOSIT THIS MONEY INTO YOUR ACCOUNT!

REPEAT!! DO NOT!

I you get no satisfaction call the FBI.

REALLY.

Originally Posted by Zee09
18 months ago my business checking had a deposit of a good bit of $$$$
I did not deposit it. I never used the branch it was deposited at in my life ( next town over)
I have repeatedly informed my local bank in person and emailed them as well as the corporate headquarters.
( I emailed to keep a record)

They say there was no error and that I must have deposited it. No. Anyway I'm going to another bank that is offering better
rates and am going to close this account. I plan on depositing this money in my savings account and not touch it as I assume
somebody will get wise to the mistake. I just got tired of fighting them. Has this happened to anybody here?

Very simple, request a copy of the deposit. You'll get a copy of the slip along with items (check/cash). That'll clear it up pronto.

I had someones balance transfer post to my discover card. I called them right away. They put a fraud alert on my card, and got a new account and card. It took them over 6 months to correct it, then I closed the account. That hit my credit rating which [censored] me off, discover must have notified them somehow because it was back up pretty quick. I buy nothing major on credit anymore, so no huge deal. If you move that money it may become income, and the IRS may pounce.
You state has an attorney general, I would write them with supporting documents, bet it gets corrected fast. You did try to play nice. The attorney general likes that sort of thing, easy to fix and push people around, no real work.

Rod

Last edited:
I made a deposit at an ATM once. The receipt said that my account was $120,000 over drawn. I about had a heart attack. It was back to normal the next morning before the Bank even opened.

I had this once. $600 magically appeared in my checking account. The statement just said "Deposit", which told me that it was made in the bank, not through an ATM.

Long story short, I got someone in the bank to print the the scan of the deposit slip. Someone had deposited a check using a counter deposit slip (not a pre-printed one), then went to the teller to get the account number. The name written on the slip was close to mine but not quite right. They figured out who the right person was from the deposit slip, and poof!, the $600 was gone from my account.

18 months is a long time. Ask an attoney what is the statute of limitations. Leave it in that bank. No more emails, no more anything. They've had their chance. After sufficient time, donate it to charlty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back