2010 Corolla S Maintenance Schedule Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have about 70k on our 2008 Matrix, which is the corolla wagon.

It has been a good car. I did the plugs at 70k.

We did the transmission fluid once, and oil changes every 5k with whatever is on sale.

Thing runs great.

Our 2013 gets 10k oci on various synthetics. About to turn 70k and due for oil change. In gonna do the cooler line flush again on the trans with maxlife. Did it at 5k and 30k previously. Drained and filled coolant with Toyota pink from dealer at 60k. Each 30k it gets an air filter and cabin air filter. Cleaned throttle body at about 30k and seafoamed it. Got a set of front pads at 60k. Tires at about the same time. I'm figuring on plugs at 80k but it says 100k. These cars will probably run forever no matter what but I choose to go a little beyond what it calls for as far as stuff like the trans fluid. Lifetime fluid isn't something I believe in.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The corolla is pretty bulletproof. You can do 200k without an "enhanced" maintenance schedule.

I know of one 07 with a nice front seal leak. Only 70K. Had a bunch of other issues too.

Of course there are going to be a few here and there that aren't up to par, but overall the Corolla is one of the most reliable and inexpensive cars to own over the years. That's why I bought one for my first new car. 2013 Corolla S. The wife drives it now, I drive the beater Civic. The Corolla is an automatic, very boring to drive. Stick would've been nice, but the type of driving I was doing wouldn't have been good for it. Heavy traffic, occasional work in San Francisco (those hills!). Of course now I'm driving the Civic all over Los Angeles with its ridiculous traffic, and it's a 5 speed. Oh well...

If this is a 1.8, changing the PCV valve requires removing the intake manifold.

If you have a regular drain plug, ATF is so easy there's no reason not to do it at least every 20k. You might get another use or two out of the crush washer. Replacements can be found at NAPA--ATM PB2403 is thick like the stock gasket (for the 4-speed).

Cabin filter is easy to check--just be careful not to break any plastic tabs on your first try. Replace it as needed. I bought my Vibe used and the filter was good and ready for a change at 29,000.

The MAF is also easy--it comes right out of the housing.

You remind me that I should drain the coolant, get some spark plugs, and check the air filter that's been in for about 50k since the last change.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
No need for atf change
Corollas atf ment to never be changed its stated in manual.

Yeah, we all follow the manual exactly, here at BITOG.
laugh.gif

I got the wake-up call on my Corolla when a friend's Corolla's transmission died at 200K... with zero maintenance, as per the manual. I got mine with 33K and it now has 135K and I am hoping mine lasts longer than 200K. When I changed the transmission filter it was thickly coated with metal colored paste. So was the bottom of the pan and the magnets looked like wooly caterpillars. The dealer insisted it was a screen and wanted $135 for a new one. It was a filter with media. I got an aftermarket WIX filter for 15 bucks or so.

I drop about 2 quarts of ATF every 5K oil change. The Corolla is very easy to service. I measure out and measure in, but it has a dipstick too. The pan has a drain plug, the filter is easy to replace, the pan came off easily, every horror story I've heard about Toyota transmissions just doesn't apply to my 4-speed.

I am on my 7th Toyota/Lexus vehicle. I trade at 200k. My regimen is:

Oil/filter change and rotate tires - every 5k
Change air filter ( & cabin filter) - every 20k
Clean MAF every 20k
Cooler line flush transmission fluid - every 50k
Brakes - as needed, flush all brake lines when brake pads are changed.
Replace PCV valve - every 100k (Clean at 50k)
Drain/fill coolant - every 50k
Power steering fluid (suck out reservoir& fill) 50k
Spark plugs - 100k
Serpentine belt 75k
Adjust rear drum brakes - (all disc)

Mine run like new at 200k and usually have factory brake rotors and struts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
Mine run like new at 200k and usually have factory brake rotors and struts.

The rotors don't rust out or get below min thickness?

UPDATE:

Nothing major to update. Just passed 80k miles. Last maintenance was done at 75k.

Oil Changes - I am now using a 7500 mile change interval. Doesn't burn any oil between changes. Still using Toyota filters. Last few changes have been with Mobil 1 0W-20.

Brakes - Still running the original rotors and pads. Starting to get a little vibration when braking heavy. Might have to look for replacements in the next few months. Will flush the brake fluid when brakes are replaced.

Spark plugs - Should I let these go until 100k or do them now? I should hit 100k next winter.

Transmission Fluid - Did another drain/fill at 75k. Going to continue doing these every 25k. Takes ~2.75 qts fyi.

Nothing else major to note, haven't had any issues and hope it continues to run smoothly for me.

Hmm, blast from the past. My Corolla is over 180K and still running well. About to put on the second set of front brakes, last set (which replaced OEM) lasted over 75K miles. I drain and fill a little over 2 quarts of WS ATF with most oil changes, at around 7500 miles. I wait for the 5K maintenance light to come on and then drive it for another month or two, then change the oil and some ATF.

Repairs so far at 180K: 1. Replaced AUX input jack on center console.

That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back