Removing O2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a new O2 sensor to fit into my car.

I see there is a special socket for O2 sensors but I am just wondering if an adjustable spanner would work?
Or even a ring spanner?

The car has no rust on it as it has been garaged and never driven on snow etc.

You need a special socket with a slit in it to slip over the wire if it's rusted in. A wrench similar to a brake line wrench will work.

I've had excellent luck applying Mouse Milk penetrating oil to 02 sensor threads with a Q Tip. Then I use either an 02 sensor socket or a box end wrench slipped over the unplugged pigtail.

They usually (always?) are installed @ factory with a dab of anti-seize compound. I've always been able to remove them, even on ancient rusty vehicles, with just an open-ended wrench. But WyrTwister is correct; if you're definitely going to replace it, you could cut the wire, but that's really throwing your hat over the fence. A flare nut wrench is also a good idea.

Like every one is saying they usually just come right out. I have a special socket but have never used it. Just an open ended 7/8 or 22 mm and it comes right out. Rust belt cars I hear can be a problem, but not just with O2 sensors.

The one on my Cherokee came right out at 200K miles.

The one on my 66K mile F-350 took a lot of torching until it was glowing red. And even then I messed up the threads and had to chase them in order to get the new one in.

I used an open end wrench on the ones on my Jeep. Actually an adjustable wrench. Came out a lot easier after I soaked in penetrating oil though.

Another vote for the box end wrench. My connectors have luckily been under 7/8 inches in diameter, almost on purpose.
50.gif

I'm also a cheaper miserly type and buy universal sensors that you splice the wires anyway, so I cut 'em.

I like a little PB blaster and a just-started-for-30-seconds warmup. Hammer the far end of my wrench. It'll go.

I usually do the open-end wrench method. Last one I did was on a Ford with 250K miles and I had to use a torch to heat it really hot. I got about a turn out of it before I had to heat it again and give it another turn, it complaining the whole way out.
Use the special socket on it if there is no room for an open-end wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back