LT150 John Deere What oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is my parents Lawn mower but i use it enough i guess i will have to keep up the maintenance on it.

it has the high Oil pressure oil circuit with a spin-on oil filter

What Kind of oil would you recommend, like what brand and what weight.

and should i go with a John Deere Oil filter or a different Company's Oil filter...if i can find one.

thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you have the Kohler CV15 426cc engine. Kohler recommends 10w30 above 0F. I'd recommend a HDEO like Mystik or Rotella T 10w30. I have also run 15w40, but I wouldn't recommend that early spring or late fall.

You are paying through the nose buying a JD or Kohler filter... I use a ST3614 which is $2.07 at Walmart and also fits my Toyota pickup. If you have room for extra length, the Motorcraft FL400S is also an excellent value at $3.28.

Change the oil in the fall before you put it up for the winter. John Deere's official recommendation is 1 year or 50 hours, whichever comes first. Kohler recommends every 100 hours. I change the oil in my CV460 once a year in the fall. I put about 60 hours a year on it.

hey thanks for the recommendation.

I think i'll go with the Rotella 10w30 and either a Motorcraft FL793 or Supertech.

Or maybe even a purolator, i guess i'll decide today when i got get the stuff

thanks for your recommendation.

Rotella-T 5w-40 would also be a good choice. I've been using it in my kohler, briggs and honda.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by JK:
hey thanks for the recommendation.

I think i'll go with the Rotella 10w30 and either a Motorcraft FL793 or Supertech. ...

Menards has Rotella 10w30 on sale for $6.63/gal through Saturday. Also, I don't see too many FL793s around, the FL910 seems more common around here. Funny, I'm sure they are both made by Purolator but they both x-ref to 10241 on the Purolator site? They x-ref to different numbers on the Wix site.

Any 10w-30, PAO based synthetic will be excellent. These types of engines run hot and tend to shear dowsn multigrade oils. So it's an excellent idea to use an oil that contains little or no polymeric thickener that can lead to high temp deposits and cause the oil to thin out over time.

The Mobil 1, EP is probably the easist high quality oil to find in that grade....

TS

quote:

Originally posted by David Fincik:
Does the 145 use the same filter?

Briggs engine I think? If so, the threads & gasket should be the same. It depends on whether you have room for the length. Most of those Briggs have a stubby filter and the 3614 size is over an inch longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back