Question for molakule or someone else smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i have 2 cars and both have been neglected drivetrain wise. First car 2013 equinox 2.4 awd. Drained the ff at 108k and it was super thin and black. 3 drain and fills later with maxlife multi vech. Still shifts the same. Only shifting problem really is harsh down shifts. Like comming to a stop it sometimes gives you a nice jerk. It has 2k miles on the maxlife now with not much improvement. I did the drain and fills about 250 miles apart. I got some lubegaurd red im going to add tomorrow. Do you think this will fix or help it? Second car is a 2012 cruze 1.4 6 spd. Cruze has no shifting problems really. Once in a while on a cold start and morning 40f it will be pretty hard to put in first like something is holding it out. But then goes in fine no grind or nothing. It rarley grinds doing a faster than normal 2-3 shift but i cant tell if its me or the car. Also i changed the factory fluid at 90k and it was underfilled at 1.6 qts tsb says do 2.5 qts now. I put in amsoil 75w90 as reccomened on cruzetalk for more spirited drivers. The ff was still somewhat gold in color. I wanted to add lubegaurd gear to this just to help protect the tranny. And maybe help with shifts. Its a holden m32 tranny i think and there know to overheat and kill 6th gear.

Last edited:
does the equinox have the same adaptive learning as the ford escape (isn't the gm tranny in the equinox related to the ford 6f35 in the escape) because when i reset my transmission adaptive tables it made a huge difference to shift quality... the car had used as a rental car the past 30k miles so it must have been really confused due to all the different people driving it...

IF it's something that is not mechanical or electrical, the Lubegard Red should make as much improvement as anything you can use. After you put 10-15k on the Maxlife I would drop another load (just one change) to help dilute the little that's left. Did you disconnect the battery for 15-30 minutes so that the PCM had to relearn the fuzzy shift logic? I know on my Fusion I did 3 D&F with Amsoil ATL and it still shifted like crap til I did this, now it shifts like new again. After you change fluid you should always do this to force it to relearn, tranny will live longer and you will be happier.

Amsoil Severe Gear is a good fluid, but I know some Subaru guys (and other underpowered vehicles) say it's still "stiff" when cold. I've tried about 6 different fluids in my transaxle, and Motul Gear 300 has given the best shifts and is an extremely stout fluid. Give the Amsoil 5-10k miles, and if you still don't like it try the Motul.

I would follow Subie's advice.

Unfortunately, it is an Equinox and has been neglected.

As far as the Cruze, you may want to go with a 75W85 such as Redline's version of their MTF.

Initial hard 1-2 shifts with cold manual transmission fluid is pretty common....and normal. In fact many mfg's go with ATF just to help deal with consumer cold shift complaints. I have the same issue on my 6 speed any time the ambient temp is below around 55-60 deg F. After a few minutes of warming up, the problem goes away. I often just double de-clutch that very first 1-2 shift to better synchronize it...and get a smooth shift.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Initial hard 1-2 shifts with cold manual transmission fluid is pretty common....and normal. In fact many mfg's go with ATF just to help deal with consumer cold shift complaints. I have the same issue on my 6 speed any time the ambient temp is below around 55-60 deg F. After a few minutes of warming up, the problem goes away. I often just double de-clutch that very first 1-2 shift to better synchronize it...and get a smooth shift.

Agree, first couple shifts into 1st being tough when cold is normal in some cases; but this could be an early indicator that your throwout bearing (or whatever chevy calls it) is getting towards replacement.

Unfortunately Maxlife and lubegard are not miracles in a can. If this doesn't work be prepared for a costly repair. Helpfully you caught this in time.

It took 10k miles for maxlife and lubegard to fully smooth out my transmission. Instant improvement from having fresh fluid, then nothing noticable, then gradual improvement starting maybe 4k miles onward.

Check motor mounts as those can make even a normal downshift feel harsh. A relearn procedure might help as well.

Does anyone use Auto-Rx? Does it do any good in a transmission? Any difference between the original and the current version, Auto-Rx Plus? (I don't think I've ever heard of it doing any harm.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back