Home theater speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue that you don't want home theater speakers, but something more like stereo speakers/monitors that would do much better at frequency reproduction across the audible range. I feel that home theater speakers are designed to disappear as much as possible in a standard home decor as a primary concern, then for decent mids for voices and then lots of bass for explosions.

Originally Posted by EdwardC
I would argue that you don't want home theater speakers, but something more like stereo speakers/monitors that would do much better at frequency reproduction across the audible range. I feel that home theater speakers are designed to disappear as much as possible in a standard home decor as a primary concern, then for decent mids for voices and then lots of bass for explosions.

Yup, you want a big set of full range towers.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
What would you guys suggest? I want to wow myself when I crank the volume up (headroom is nice, even though I won't listen at the volume) and I just can't do it with my present setup. My current receiver is a Denon AVR-S540BT, but again I've used receivers with more power and still been disappointed. Is small speakers & large subwoofer a better setup vs. huge tower speakers (like in the old days) with no external subwoofer? Curious what you guys think.

Are you familiar with AudioMart?

Bryston 4BST Amplifier. This unit is high current and probably not 250W/channel. My 4B is closer to 300 based on actual testing.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649463335-bryston-4b-st-looks-excellent-functions-perfectly/

And a set of Bryston Middle-T speakers would be a good fit unless your room is really big, then the Model T would be more suitable. These are what they look like:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649448390-bryston-middle-t-loudpeakers/

The price on that ad is nuts, there were a set of Model T's on there last year for $3,700CDN. You should be able to get a set of Middle T's for around $2,500 in mint condition if you keep an eye out. They will blow you away.

I have two early 1980's 2 channel systems. This one has dual 12" woofers, 2 mids and 2 tweets per speaker. They will move some air. Neighbor across the street is ashamed of his puny 15" Cerwin Vegas and their mud stirring sound, can't touch these for volume or clarity. I also have a Denon system with Bose 901 speakers. Sound good to me and they will also produce house shaking volume. OK Bose haters....sound off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N7F7eNCyzw

I have a marantz 2238b receiver with fisher floor standing speakers replaced the woofer with kicker woofer. The equipment is from the 1970's and to me it sounds better than any new stuff out there. You can get these receivers on ebay still I love the marantz receiver it is from 1977.

I just removed an old Sony soundbar, and replaced it with KR Rokit 5's on stands at each side of the TV, and the matching KRK 10" subwoofer.

These are self-amplified speakers, with lots of eq options built-in. I'm controlling volume right from the TV set, thru a 'headphone' audio out port. Add an inexpensive graphic equalizer if you feel the need to tweak sound for room problems or personal taste.

In my 18' x 22' with 12' peak ceiling, these sound great on music, and on properly-recorded video. (There's a LOT of improperly recorded sound in tv-land). They can go to 'too loud' easily.

BH Photo Video online will get you started on self-powered 'monitor' speakers, which are designed to be accurate in reproduction, not favoring lows, highs, or what-not.

I have a modest 7.1 setup for my primary HTS, but it sounds good enough for me:

Video:
Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD

Electronics:
Denon AVR-2808CI
Sony BDPS3200
Rotel RCD-855
Magnavox MDR513H/F7
Roku Streaming Stick
Google Chromecast

Speakers:
Front: Klipsch KG 4
Center: Klipsch RC-3 II
Surround: Klipsch RS-3 II
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3R

Cables and Interconnects:
Blue Jeans Cables

Surge Suppressors:
Tripp Lite HTPOWERBAR10
Tripp Lite ISOBAR 6

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Modern "theatre surround sound" crap to me is a joke. Tinny low powered mass fi amplifiers and bookshelf sized speakers. Nothing beats old school high powered vacuum tube amplifiers and massive horn loaded speakers.

Don't need high powered tube amps with the horn loaded speakers.A couple watts may be plenty!

Originally Posted by sloinker
I have two early 1980's 2 channel systems. This one has dual 12" woofers, 2 mids and 2 tweets per speaker. They will move some air. Neighbor across the street is ashamed of his puny 15" Cerwin Vegas and their mud stirring sound, can't touch these for volume or clarity. I also have a Denon system with Bose 901 speakers. Sound good to me and they will also produce house shaking volume. OK Bose haters....sound off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N7F7eNCyzw

Mitsubishi amplifiers and receivers of the 1980s were INSANE!! I remember seeing a Mitsubishi receiver 75x75 watt per channel almost blow the windows out of this stereo shop's sound room,hooked up to a pair of North American Sound Studio Monitors. The dynamic headroom on their amps and receivers was unbelievable!! It was similar to the one:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649342489-vintage-mitsubishi-dar35-stereo-receiver/

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
This is my current setup,and what's currently on the turntable:

I know that equalizer well!
It was awesome, its an Audio Source with pink noise generator and plug in microphone. Ok I will really take a long shot as its been many decades since I had it, but I believe it was called the EQ1.

Awesome set up you have, from a time when there were musicians creating music rock or whatever and not pop tarts on a stage in CA bumping up and down lip sinking words to a song with computer generated music. (even if some of them are hot)

Last edited:
If you can be satisfied with a 2.1 system, get an Onkyo R-805X receiver (small but powerful) with its own speakers, and use a small Yamaha subwoofer with it (all can be found on ebay) -
sounds incredible for its size. I use 2 of those systems: for connecting to the optical out from my TV (2.1 "Home Theater"- shakes the house pretty well, as the dedicated sub out from the small Onkyo is VERY powerful) and for listening to music from my laptop (2.1 "Laptop home theater")

(I do have a much larger Music Hall amp+Music Hall CDP/ Onix Reference-1 speakers+ Onix X-sub based system for music, but the above mentioned system is what I use with my optical out from the TV; it sounds really good for a small system). You do need a small DAC if you're using a digital out from a streaming device or smart TV (TVs these days don't have analog outs much)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back